Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic rock songs that mention other classic rock acts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I'm going to presume you're taking the piss and I walked right into it.

I'm afraid you did, but thanks for playing.
    I've stepped in the 'do do' myself on many occasions, good luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

The Who. You Better You Bet.

'I got your body right now on my mind & I drunk myself blind to the sound of old T-Rex.
    To the sound of old T-Rex
    & Whos Next.'

Lines from their '81 hit namechecking T-Rex & their own '71 album, Whos Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭RINO87

Steely Dan mention themselves on Showbiz Kids!!

They got the house on the corner
    With the rug inside
    They got the booze they need
    All that money can buy
    They got the shapely bods
    They got the steely dan t-shirt
    And for the coup-de-gras
    They're outrageous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwBGvn23zg&feature=related 2.28

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cecilmaxwell

What about Chris Spedding - Guitar Jambouree (namechecks Paul Kossoff and others) or Dire Straits - Romeo & Juliet (name checks Bad Company by Bad Company)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rolling Stones - Star Star. Jimmy Page gets a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch.
    Rolling numbers, rock and rollin', got my Kiss records out".

from Cheap Trick: Surrender

"Ain't going to go to see the Rolling Stones no more. No more.
    Don't wanna go to see Queen no more. No more".

from Queen: I Go Crazy

Also, while not Classic Rock, the line, "Looking like a born again, living like a heretic, Listening to Arthur Lee records..." appears in Lloyd Cole and the Commotions' Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?, a song which was, in turn, answered by "Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken", by Camera Obscura. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Do You Remember Rock'n'roll Radio
    The Ramones

"Will you remember Jerry Lee? John Lennon, T. Rex and Ol' Moulty"

- - - - -

Hair
    The Cowsills

"Like the Grateful Dead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Saw this thread and just had to give a shout out to Joe Strummer whose title track to his brilliant 2002 album, Global a Go Go, is a homage to some of the greats of rock n roll, inspired by a stint as a BBC World Service DJ. Worth a listen anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9fCxwyVws

In the David Bowie song 'All The Young Dudes', the thin white duke namechecks the influential art/rock New York band 'Television':

And my brother's back at home
    With his Beatles and his Stones
    We never got it off on that revolution stuff
    What a drag
    Too many snags
    Oh the TELEVISION man is crazy
    Saying we're juvenile delinquent wrecks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dire Straits - Romeo & Juliet (name checks Bad Company by Bad Company)
    Did they ever say this is the case? I never thought it was and still don't.
    9959 wrote: »
    In the David Bowie song 'All The Young Dudes', the thin white duke namechecks the influential art/rock New York band 'Television':
    Same here, did he ever say this? I always thought the television man was just some TV commentator/presenter giving out about the youth.

But also this says television formed in late 1973 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_(band)
    while all the young dudes was released in 72, not sure when written
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Young_Dudes

• Advertisement

Warren Zevon's 'Play It All Night Long' references Lynyrd Skynyrd with the lines:

"Sweet home Alabama,
    Play that dead band's song,
    Turn those speakers up full blast,
    Play it all night long"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Which reminds me... The Wallflowers' substituted Zevon's line in Lawyers, Guns and Money - "Dad, get me out of this" - for "Warren, get me out of this", on the Zevon tribute album, Enjoy Every Sandwich. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

rubadub wrote: »
    Did they ever say this is the case? I never thought it was and still don't.

Same here, did he ever say this? I always thought the television man was just some TV commentator/presenter giving out about the youth.

But also this says television formed in late 1973 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_(band)
    while all the young dudes was released in 72, not sure when written
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Young_Dudes

Oh, damn and blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Little Lover - AC/DC

You had my picture
    On your bedroom wall
    (Next to Gary Glitter)
    I was standing on the stage
    Playing rock 'n' roll
    (I was a guitar picker)
    Never had a record
    Never had a hit
    Oh baby
    You didn't mind a bit

RIP Bon Scott.

In the David Bowie song 'All The Young Dudes' the thin white duke namechecks the influential Liverpool beat combo 'The Beatles':

And my brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Maybe not a classic or well known rock song but Live's song "People like you" on their album V mentions themselves as well as a host of other acts.

[HTML][/HTML]"whatever its gonna take good luck, keep it real where (are) the boys in LIVE?
    they're pissin' in the mainstream open up your cage focus
    all your rage the world needs people like you

in a dream i had i was on a stage with queen michael stipe
    and elton john bono and springsteen singin hallejuhah, rock and roll is king"[HTML][/HTML]

Advertisement