Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

My Christmas cakes went down well.
    Everyone commented on how moist and Christmassy they were.
    In fact, I had my sister in laws mother asking to get some brought up next time.

I'm gonna quit the job and open a cake making factory :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Have to say mine was delicious! Pics
    236187.jpg
    snowman
    236189.jpg
    Gifts
    236188.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

kerash wrote: »
    Have to say mine was delicious! Pics
    236187.jpg
    snowman
    236189.jpg
    Gifts
    236188.jpg

Kerash, how did you achieve that lovely glitter effect.
    Any chance of a tutorial ?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Glittery effect is just pearl dust/lustre spray.

Glittery effect is just pearl dust/lustre spray.

Gosh I've used both of those in the past and not achieved that effect.
    Thought it was maybe edible glitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

siledee wrote: »
    Kerash, how did you achieve that lovely glitter effect.
    Any chance of a tutorial ?;)

It's Edible Lustre from Kitchen Compliments, I think it's this one but the label is gone off mine! The gold is squires antique gold afaik. I just mixed some with vodka and and brushed it on with a fluffy little paint brush.

kerash wrote: »
    It's Edible Lustre from Kitchen Compliments, I think it's this one but the label is gone off mine! The gold is squires antique gold afaik. I just mixed some with vodka and and brushed it on with a fluffy little paint brush.

Thank you so much.
    Gonna have a go at that.

Gosh I've used both of those in the past and not achieved that effect.
    Thought it was maybe edible glitter.
    Thank you so much.
    Gonna have a go at that.

...That was what I mentioned and you said you had tried it before, but you'll now give it a go? Any of the dusts/powders loose in a tub with a pearlescent/glittery appearance would be described as a pearl/lustre dust. Glitters are much bigger sparkly bits, and at the moment there is a lot of debate/changes going on about whether they are really edible, whereas the dusts and sprays are fine.

...That was what I mentioned and you said you had tried it before, but you'll now give it a go? Any of the dusts/powders loose in a tub with a pearlescent/glittery appearance would be described as a pearl/lustre dust. Glitters are much bigger sparkly bits, and at the moment there is a lot of debate/changes going on about whether they are really edible, whereas the dusts and sprays are fine.

I have tried both in the past..the Dr.Oetker shimmer spray and the loose dust..both in silver.
    I thought the shimmer spray was very "matte" for want of a better word.
    The dust just turned out like a dirty grey colour...I just put it on with a brush and I probably was a bit heavy handed.

Never thought of mixing it with vodka so that's what I'm gonna have a go at.

Doing the daughter's wedding cake and want some glittery decor for it so I need to order stuff and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for the help and I'll stay clear of the edible glitter.

Oh anything is silver will come out grey and dull, you need to go for "Pearl" descriptions, that is basically white with sparkle, so doesn't come out dull. There is a lustre spray available in Stuff4Cakes, Decobake, etc that is brilliant, it's about €8.50-10.50 in those shops per tin.

• Advertisement

Oh anything is silver will come out grey and dull, you need to go for "Pearl" descriptions, that is basically white with sparkle, so doesn't come out dull. There is a lustre spray available in Stuff4Cakes, Decobake, etc that is brilliant, it's about €8.50-10.50 in those shops per tin.

Had a look and ordered the spray and the dust that Kerash suggested.
    Can't wait to try them out.
    Asking here has probably saved me from some very expensive mistakes.
    Thanks for your help.

Advertisement