Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Big clean today. Poor bike was manky. All shiny now. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Fitted new brake pads on my 4 week old PX58 today . Great bike **** brakes pads ...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

changed front and rear derailures on my 1993 marin bear valley , shimano deore bits , got them for EU 15 IN Halfords they were there probably since 1993 also!! got new deore break levers for xmas too .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fitted new brake pads on my 4 week old PX58 today . Great bike **** brakes pads ...

What Spec. did you get on the PX58?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ooops!

Wrong thread. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did a good bit of work on the bike over the last few days. It's been almost 25 years since I've done this kind of bike DIY stuff.

My wife bought me a 105 groupset for Christmas and I bought myself a pair of Zondas.

The differences might look subtle but as it's my bike I probably notice them a lot more.

This is the best pic I have of the bike before I rebuilt it.

IMG_1549.jpg

During

IMG_1764.jpg

And the final product...

IMG_1773.jpg

It all went together relatively easy. I'd a bit of grief removing the old bottom bracket but I got a lend of a hefty power bar to sort that out. Adjusting the front mech stumped me for a bit as I wasn't aware of the trim function but once I got my head around it all was well.

I haven't been for spin on it yet but I did have a very brief tour of the back garden and I noticed that the hoods are lower down than the previous Claris hoods. It must be the design of the lever as the new ones are placed exactly where the old ones were. I might adjust them tomorrow although I am considering going for a spin first to see how they feel.

I'm not a fan of going out in the current icy conditions so I'll wait in agony for Wednesday when the temperatures are forecast to lift a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

looks like a new bike crosstownk with the work on it..fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Eamonnator wrote: »
    What Spec. did you get on the PX58?

It came with sram force group,my first experience with sram probley not as slick as the ultegra but i do like it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

looks like a new bike crosstownk with the work on it..fair play.

^^ This. Looks great. Fair play for doing it yourself.

I'd humbly suggest another slight upgrade such as...
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cages/topeak-mono-cage-cx.html or http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cages/zefal-spring-bottle-cage.html
    :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dave04 wrote: »
    changed front and rear derailures on my 1993 marin bear valley , shimano deore bits , got them for EU 15 IN Halfords they were there probably since 1993 also!! got new deore break levers for xmas too .

90's era Marins were so sexy looking at the time....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^ This. Looks great. Fair play for doing it yourself.

I'd humbly suggest another slight upgrade such as...
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cages/topeak-mono-cage-cx.html or http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cages/zefal-spring-bottle-cage.html
    :o

Spot on. A pair of bottle cages is on my list. The current bottle cage is a disaster. It allows the bottle to rattle which is very annoying on a downhill or quick flat. I was thinking of this but I like the look (and price) of the Zéfal ones that you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

put two good winter tyres on my machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Today I bolted a chain catcher onto the new bike. €11 that should save me from tearing chunks out of a €1.5k frame if I ever drop the chain. Now it's time to get her muddy :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Dura ace brakes replaced 105 5700 ones (coming to the for sale section shortly) lovely feel off the 7800 ones

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

New 39t chain ring fitted yesterday to complete my bikes winter overhaul (BB, cassette, chain, cables, bar tape & brake pads). Went out for a short spin today and well pleased with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Today I attempted my first bike build. i want to start audaxing this month so thought a bike specially for it would be the job. Bought the frame new and most of the components here on boards.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/100152/333774.jpg

All the major part were easy to do with the help of youtube. Amazed myself with how easy it was to put on the groupset and get it all working right. However the little things can be very frustrating. For the life of me I cant get the mudguards to fit or the carrier :( Just spent several hours on them and am giving up for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

darkvalley wrote: »
    Today I attempted my first bike build. i want to start audaxing this month so thought a bike specially for it would be the job. Bought the frame new and most of the components here on boards.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/100152/333774.jpg

All the major part were easy to do with the help of youtube. Amazed myself with how easy it was to put on the groupset and get it all working right. However the little things can be very frustrating. For the life of me I cant get the mudguards to fit or the carrier :( Just spent several hours on them and am giving up for the day!

Luxus U with dh 3N80?

Haven't heard a single bad thing about genesis equilibrium.

Best of luck with bike and audaxing in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Put 2 new matching bottle cages on my bike this evening, replacing the 2 non matching onesi had on it, they look awesome

Also put 2 new tyres on, 40 min later, I hear a loud bang, went to investigate, the front tube must have been pinched or something :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Also put 2 new tyres on, 40 min later, I hear a loud bang, went to investigate, the front tube must have been pinched or something :(

Had something similar over the weekend. Went to put some air in the front tyre. Took the valve cap off. Heard a loud pop followed by a stinging sensation in my shoulder, only to discover I'd accidentally unscrewed the valve insert taking the cap off and shot myself with it. Homer would have been proud! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Some new bits and bobs:

_DSC1453_zps0bd56395.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps4daeba5a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Do you sleep with that in bed beside you?

Cause I would.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

basically had to run to the jacks there...

When I saw the shiny new components I was wondering what they were going on to...scroll down and BAM! that's unreal

@Ole Rodrigo,

Can you tell something of the history of the bike, please.
    It's gorgeous.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Do you sleep with that in bed beside you?

Cause I would.

:pac:

Tried - she was having none of it !

Currently on the bottom bunk.

_DSC1463_zpse425d69f.jpg

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @Ole Rodrigo,

Can you tell something of the history of the bike, please.
    It's gorgeous.

Not much history Eamon, its a relatively new model - 2012, bought in 2013 from slane cycles. Double butted chrome frame. The wheels, saddle, seatpost, stem, headset, front caliper, pedals and handlebar have since been replaced. Next...a water bottle cage :)

So simple and elegant.
    I love it.

Also upgraded the drive chain from 3/32 pitch to 1/8 and changed the chainset from 48t to 46t - so its now 46 x 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

just out of interest, do you ride it with one hand on the hood or both on the top of the bar? Cycling in drops all day in town wouldn't be my cup of tea - never noticed a fixed gear with one hood before and curious as to how you use it when you need the brake

granty1987 wrote: »
    just out of interest, do you ride it with one hand on the hood or both on the top of the bar? Cycling in drops all day in town wouldn't be my cup of tea - never noticed a fixed gear with one hood before and curious as to how you use it when you need the brake

Most of the time its both on the bar top and reaching for the brake when needs be. Sometimes its on the hood with my left hand on the curve of the bar, and sometimes ( usually stretches of open road ) in the drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

well i cleaned the chain,cassette,frame,fixed a puncture, greased the pedals and re-indexed the gears now its all shiny and working well

Advertisement