Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda attitude - PFO?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

In the first clip after the driver reversed up a cyclist past you heading the wrong way down the one way street but you didn't say boo to him.

Just seems a bit hypocritical that you didn't say anything to him.

Sometimes you see it so much you just cannot be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

BX 19 wrote: »
    In the first clip after the driver reversed up a cyclist past you heading the wrong way down the one way street but you didn't say boo to him.

Sometimes you see it so much you just cannot be arsed.

Maybe but the poster has put up two videos of him stopping cars doing it, if he is that hung up on enforcing the law he should do it for all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Maybe but the poster has put up two videos of him stopping cars doing it, if he is that hung up on enforcing the law he should do it for all road users.

So because he corrected one or two people, he should now be doing the job of the Gardaí?

buffalo wrote: »

So because he corrected one or two people, he should now be doing the job of the Gardaí?

You missed my point Buffalo, he corrected a driver rightly but in the very same clip ignored a cyclist doing the exact same thing.

The rules of the road apply to both cyclists and drivers and if he ignored the cyclist commenting the same offence for which he reprimanded a driver for its hypocritical.

You missed my point Buffalo, he corrected a driver rightly but in the very same clip ignored a cyclist doing the exact same thing.

The rules of the road apply to both cyclists and drivers and if he ignored the cyclist commenting the same offence for which he reprimanded a driver for its hypocritical.

He corrected a guy driving the wrong way down a one-way street straight at him who could've run him over with his 1,500kg vehicle. A guy who presumably had to sit an exam which tested his ability to control said vehicle, and awareness of the rules of the road, yet either wilfully or ignorantly drove the wrong way down a one way street. And didn't reverse when he encountered a road user coming the opposite way.

I'm not saying the cyclist was right, but I can see why he gave out to one and not the other. It's also possible he was too busy watching the guy reverse that he didn't notice the cyclist until he had passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

1. Where in the clip does that happen? EDIT: just saw it: 01:30. In which case, see second point below.

2. I can't see why cyclists can't be legally exempted from the one-way restriction on this link.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not wanting to 2nd guess serialcomplaint, but he's free to report any traffic violations he feels the need to complain about, and is under no obligation to be other thorough or even unbiased in his actions in this respect. You feel the need to document other traffic violations, go for it, and record the ones you feel are important. My guess is that he's reporting and prioritising the incidents that either put him at risk personally, or put the commuting cycling public at risk, rather than going all Batman on the larger local crime scene out of need for justice to be served. Either way, more power to his elbow.

I would advocate two approaches, with equal energy to be applied: (1) take a stand against violations of the one-way system there, and (2) campaign for a cyclist exemption.

buffalo wrote: »

He corrected a guy driving the wrong way down a one-way street straight at him who could've run him over with his 1,500kg vehicle. A guy who presumably had to sit an exam which tested his ability to control said vehicle, and awareness of the rules of the road, yet either wilfully or ignorantly drove the wrong way down a one way street. And didn't reverse when he encountered a road user coming the opposite way.

I'm not saying the cyclist was right, but I can see why he gave out to one and not the other. It's also possible he was too busy watching the guy reverse that he didn't notice the cyclist until he had passed.

Two wrongs dont make a right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

smacl wrote: »
    Not wanting to 2nd guess serialcomplaint, but he's free to report any traffic violations he feels the need to complain about, and is under no obligation to be other thorough or even unbiased in his actions in this respect. You feel the need to document other traffic violations, go for it, and record the ones you feel are important. My guess is that he's reporting and prioritising the incidents that either put him at risk personally, or put the commuting cycling public at risk, rather than going all Batman on the larger local crime scene out of need for justice to be served. Either way, more power to his elbow.

You got it in one. I'm not a public service. I'm just me. I decide what incidents I react to, and what incidents I ignore. Smacl is right in noting that the ones that put me at risk personally are a big factor. But there are other factors, like the weather, my mood, how early/late I am, whether the other party involved looks good, etc etc - a whole pile of irrational, human reasons. I do at times react to other cyclists, as you can see if you review my channel.

• Advertisement

Two wrongs dont make a right!!

What's the second wrong? Who's claiming anything is right? :confused:

edit: oh, the cyclist is the second wrong... does that cancel out the driver somehow? I'm lost as to where the 'right' bit came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Driver attitude is very poor in Ireland.

I've cycled in other countries without any incident, no driver daring to come within a metre of my bicycle.

I recently returned from a cycling tour in France, a two week trip down the west coast, almost entirely on open roads. Drivers passed at a minimum of 1 metre, most were 2m or more away from me. Even when oncoming traffic appeared drivers did not swerve back towards me; they forced the oncoming driver to slow down or pull in!

The day after returning from the trip I cycled from town out to Dun Laoghaire and back. On 3 separate occasions cars passed closer than 1ft from me, once while I was cycling in a bus lane (neither a taxi or a bus).

What I'd like to see is someone in power (government, department of transport, garda, local council) come down wholeheartedly on the side of cyclists. Make a statement that cyclists are now considered a protected & endangered species and that they have complete priority over motorists. (Pedestrians have priority over both)

Is that too much to ask? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I would advocate two approaches, with equal energy to be applied: (1) take a stand against violations of the one-way system there, and (2) campaign for a cyclist exemption.

No mind your own business is the approach that should be taken!
    Whats this amateur gardai day?

ffs!

smacl wrote: »

You got it in one. I'm not a public service. I'm just me. I decide what incidents I react to, and what incidents I ignore. Smacl is right in noting that the ones that put me at risk personally are a big factor. But there are other factors, like the weather, my mood, how early/late I am, whether the other party involved looks good, etc etc - a whole pile of irrational, human reasons. I do at times react to other cyclists, as you can see if you review my channel.

I was only pointing out a small issue with your video. As you said ur not a public service so you can report something if you want or not.

I just pointed it out as its one and the same. The letter of law applies to both and if it's enforced on both the driver behaviour will improve as it will for the few cyclists that don't follow it either.

I was only pointing out a small issue with your video. As you said ur not a public service so you can report something if you want or not.

I just pointed it out as its one and the same. The letter of law applies to both and if it's enforced on both the driver behaviour will improve as it will for the few cyclists that don't follow it either.

You're absolutely right - the law applies to both. I've no objection to anyone enforcing the law on cyclists in such situations. As it happens, lots more cyclists break the one-way system here than drivers. For me, cyclists don't threaten my safety, so personally, I don't make a big deal about it. But I'd be quite happy to see the Gardai or others enforcing it for all.
    morana wrote: »
    You're dead right. I should mind my own business. When someone drives in a way that threatens my safety, that's my business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

morana wrote: »
    Whats this amateur gardai day?

tbh, I wouldn't say that the Gardai would devote significant resource into issues such as these unless pressured to do so; the guards not exactly short of things to do, and I wouldn't say that minor traffic offences are that high up the list. I think of serialcomplaints activity in a similar vein to neighbourhood watch / community alert type activity, and would tend to support it once it stays within the law itself. It's a bit of a fine line on how you engage the wrongdoer though. On the one hand, letting them know they're documented as being in the wrong might discourage them from making the same mistake again. On the other hand, they might come out of the car wielding a tyre iron with the intent of pulverising the camera and anything it might be attached to (e.g. your head). You have to balance the potential risks and benefit at some point.

You're absolutely right - the law applies to both. I've no objection to anyone enforcing the law on cyclists in such situations. As it happens, lots more cyclists break the one-way system here than drivers. For me, cyclists don't threaten my safety, so personally, I don't make a big deal about it. But I'd be quite happy to see the Gardai or others enforcing it for all.

You're dead right. I should mind my own business. When someone drives in a way that threatens my safety, that's my business.

I have to disagree with the bit in bold above.

I will presume that it makes sense to impose a one-way system on motorised traffic in that particular location, but IMO the default arrangement for cyclists ought to be an explicit and lawful exemption. Alternatives include zero tolerance enforcement or a tacit acceptance that cyclists will just adapt by breaking the law.

The blind-eye It'll Do approach is what goes on in my neck of the woods, ie let's impose a convoluted system of one-way streets on everyone, then ignore the inevitable consequences for cyclists, eg unnecessary detours, faster traffic, "salmon cycling" and illegal use of footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cycling is enjoyable. Convoluted one-way systems means I get to do more cycling. Hurrah for convoluted one-way systems.

Why not just take the longest (self-imposed) route possible, say A to B via Z?

Cyclists who want to commute for practical purposes, as opposed to sport and exercise, generally prefer to take the most efficient route (all other things being equal).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why not just take the longest (self-imposed) route possible, say A to B via Z?

I sometimes go round in circles to make my commute longer.

That's normal, right?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I sometimes go round in circles

Are you talking about your cycling, or your boards.ie cycliing posts? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Garda: Yes, that's it. Go write to Alan Shatter.

That is hilarious, I'v seen more checkpoints though in the last 6 weeks than usual. so the resources are obviously there, Maybe Alan Shatter should get a uniform on and go out and do some work for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

charlemont wrote: »
    I'v seen more checkpoints though in the last 6 weeks than usual. so the resources are obviously there.

It's probably the case that some other area of policing is currently being ignored to allow for this campaign...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

As a fellow cyclist around Dublin and witnessing first hand how close taxi drivers can get sometimes, I think you would only be crazy to bring a kid on a bike and cycle around Dublin.

Perhaps you'd be crazy, or delinquent, not to report those dangerous drivers whenever you can.

There's a road near my house which provides the sole access to schools, shops, amenities etc. There is a serious speeding problem on it, and on adjacent roads which I also cannot usually avoid.

What do I do? Give up and take the car? Stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Is there not a similar thread about the Garda Campaign in the AH forum already?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Is there not a similar thread about the Garda Campaign in the AH forum already?

AH. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

AH. Nuff said.

Yup! Ton's of constructive arguments! :rolleyes:

Advertisement