Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross trainers?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hey lads. i dont go around here much, but hey, its boards! There is always someone to give advice!

I am working on my feet all day and started having problems, so started walking after work to get in to the shape a bit. ( i am a fat bastard at this stage ). i do 5.5km of fast walking after work almost every day, but thx to lovely irish weather i started skiping some days, which makes me feel bad. ( the park i walk in gets flooded or a mud pool after rain ).

I want to get a cross trainer so i could get some fitness at home if weather is crap. Now like anyone else i dont want to spend a freaking fortune on one. are there any good value brands out there? Is here anything i could buy from here and expect it to last more then 2 weeks?

http://www.irishsportswarehouse.ie/catalog/elliptical-trainers?gclid=CNn-4sv7jLICFQpA4QodCHUAUg

*the reason i want cross trainer, because back in the day one of these bad boys helped me to go from 120kg to 80kg. I had some nice brutal 2 hour session on that thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been looking at them and Irish sports warehouse have big 'half price' stickers on things, but the half price is only the same as full price anywhere else.

The warranty on some of them is voided if they are delivered by only one person.

You also need to know stride length and a lot of them don't say what it is.

I got onto a local firm but they never got back to me - and I was not impressed by their set up anyway.

I have put the whole thing on the back burner for now, there were so many hassles unless you just bought from such as Argos, and I could not figure out what was a model worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

looksee wrote: »
    I have been looking at them and Irish sports warehouse have big 'half price' stickers on things, but the half price is only the same as full price anywhere else.

The warranty on some of them is voided if they are delivered by only one person.

You also need to know stride length and a lot of them don't say what it is.

I got onto a local firm but they never got back to me - and I was not impressed by their set up anyway.

I have put the whole thing on the back burner for now, there were so many hassles unless you just bought from such as Argos, and I could not figure out what was a model worth buying.

so bottom line is: stay the **** from these guys?

i will need to check argos, but heres again, i dont have a clue about brands! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

so bottom line is: stay the **** from these guys?

i will need to check argos, but heres again, i dont have a clue about brands! :confused:

Well I would kinda prefer that you would just do that check yourself :) but that was my conclusion.

Edit - those are separate points not all relating to Irish Sports warehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OP

Try Donedeal http://www.donedeal.ie/find/gym/for-sale/Ireland/cross%20trainer?sort=publishDate+desc&start=30
    or adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/sports-fitness/207/q_cross+trainer/

Sometimes you can get a commmercial version for very cheap

Personally speaking I would advice you some sort of resistance training program

Getting a pullup bar/massage roller/ maybe a kettlebell/dumbell with exercise mat should cost you much less and you get bigger bang for the buck IMHO.

Doing bodyweight resistance training will cost you nothing :)

Jarren wrote: »
    OP

Try Donedeal http://www.donedeal.ie/find/gym/for-sale/Ireland/cross%20trainer?sort=publishDate+desc&start=30
    or adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/sports-fitness/207/q_cross+trainer/

Sometimes you can get a commmercial version for very cheap

Personally speaking I would advice you some sort of resistance training program

Getting a pullup bar/massage roller/ maybe a kettlebell/dumbell with exercise mat should cost you much less and you get bigger bang for the buck IMHO.

Doing bodyweight resistance training will cost you nothing :)

ah, i dont know if weighs will help in my situation. i need more of a stamina training and cardio/sweat torture. I am just back from 5.3km walk, which i did in 51minute and i am a sweaty piggy at this stage. My dog is a dirty little ball now thx to park being half flooded with mud. i really need one of those yokes. :(

I will check adverts, but hopefully i can find something in cork area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

If you are lifting heavy weights you will be sweating like a mofo not to mention the afterburn effects of weightlifting and as you put on muscle you will burn more calories just walking around.

I'd agree adverts and donedeal are your best bet but you may need some patience to find something decent in your area within your budget.

cheers lads. i will be hunting one of the bad boys in my area now.

still though, what brands are good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ShayyyD

Dont know what kind of budget you have or what kind of space but if you wanted a gym quality machine at home price the best machine on the market by far is the BH Khronos x trainer but its gonna set you back around a grand , id steer clear of sports warehouse tbh maybe even consider buying through the uk , other top brands with quality rom and resistace would be bremshey tunturi , proform are a bit to ''plastic'' clocks are very weak , nordic track have some noce models , either way try get something with atleast 16" rom , if your tall then look for 19 20" plus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Bump. Any more advice? Wondering about the quality of the ones on Argos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement