Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing to america

Options
  • 28-08-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a sailing yatch and sailing to america. This would take 6 days if possible?

I have 12000 euros to spend between a few of my mates. We would hope to dock on the east coast.We were thinking of having parties on our yatch and making money from selling drink and charging a fee to go on the boat

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sounds like a fun life :D Talk to your insurance company first then see what kind of boat you can buy with the change "if any" from your €12000 then add on the cost of food,fuel and equipment to cover you for over a month depending on weather and your good to go.
    Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

fergal.b wrote: »
    Sounds like a fun life :D Talk to your insurance company first then see what kind of boat you can buy with the change "if any" from your €12000 then add on the cost of food,fuel and equipment to cover you for over a month depending on weather and your good to go.
    Best of luck :D

Thanks fergal. We probably wont get insurance as it would cost to much. Only get the boat insured. I saw a yatch on done deal for 8000 and we would not need fuel as the wind would power the boat. we bought a life boat for 1000 euros last week with engine. we would be eating salads and will bring the food ourselves from on of the guys farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

6 days? As far as I know thats how long it takes on a cruise ship. Its more like 30 days. There are crossing done by flotillas so I'd try and join one of those.

NM it's investment - Welcome back haven't seen you in a while I though you where well banned. You're my hero!

If you can think of one for the PC B&U forum I'd love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Have you ever been at sea before?

testicle wrote: »
    Have you ever been at sea before?

No Never. I'm going to learn to swim over the coming months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

investment wrote: »
    I'm going to learn to swim over the coming months

Well that will be one good thing you have going for you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

[QUOTE: I'm thinking about buying a sailing yatch and sailing to america. This would take 6 days if possible?

Looks like you're going the short way, i.e. across the Atlantic. Why not take the whole week off and go via South Africa, Australia and Pacific? Great fishing off the coast of South Africa and California is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I'm thinking about buying a sailing yatch and sailing to america. This would take 6 days if possible?

I have 12000 euros to spend between a few of my mates. We would hope to dock on the east coast.We were thinking of having parties on our yatch and making money from selling drink and charging a fee to go on the boat
    Cant wait to read your book !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

No Never. I'm going to learn to swim over the coming months

W.U.M.

6 days ?
    never been to sea?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

0012_ot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

If you get ok at swimming....you could swim it and save the 12k.
    I think swimming it takes 9 days including toilet and salad stops.

Ok it seems I might under estimating this trip. After talking with my mates we are thinking about the south of france. One of my mates is going to do a sailing course in Dun laoighaire one night a week. The other one is learning first aid and survival skills

Can anyone give me some advice on a trip from cork to the south of france instead. Can I park my boat where I like??..Would I doing good business bring people out to sea to party?..Is it illegal to sail and drink??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod note] We've all had a good laugh, but this thread will just end up like all of the OPs other threads about his "delusions and hallucinations." So I'm going to close it off as the joke has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement