Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Sky arent offering fibre to the home yet.

Avada wrote: »
    Sky arent offering fibre to the home yet.

Thank you.

Excuse my ignorance here, but if there are fibre lines outside, could Sky bring in a line and dads broadband would improve? He'd honestly be happy with around 10mb for his needs.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Thank you.

Excuse my ignorance here, but if there are fibre lines outside, could Sky bring in a line and dads broadband would improve? He'd honestly be happy with around 10mb for his needs.

Unfortunately not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Got a call from Sky who offered me Sky Sports for 1euro a month for 6 months. It does tie me down to a 12 month contract but i can discontinue the subscription to sports after 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably because the football season just finished.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Probably because the football season just finished.

Probably, still it will give me a decent chunk of next season for next to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

greendom wrote: »
    Got a call from Sky who offered me Sky Sports for 1euro a month for 6 months. It does tie me down to a 12 month contract but i can discontinue the subscription to sports after 6 months

That's the same offer that eir have.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Some advice please.
    I found out earlier that my parents have been paying at least €95 for basic sky tv, basic phone and about 1.5mb broadband.
    Being elderly and set in their ways they are used to the sky tv set-up and are very reluctant to change.
    My father thinks that he's getting the best price as he's been a loyal customer for the past 15 years. I explained to him that loyalty accounts for little nowadays.

Eir called into them during the week offering fibre to the home as the area is going live very shortly. Following bad experiences with Eir my father has vowed never to give them business and wants to stay with sky.

My questions,
    Can he avail of fibre to the home through Sky?

What sort of price should he be looking to negotiate for tv BB and phone together?

Any help much appreciated.

Got in touch today. The best they were willing to offer was €72 per month for 9 months then back to €92 for the same Variety, phone and brutal broadband. Not much of a discount really.
    I think Ill get him to cancel altogether as the eir package is cheaper and broadband is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is there any other way to downgrade other than ring them. Keep getting cut off. Getting rid of sports (current deal of €5 per week for sports). I don't watch cricket and PL is over. App and web both force you to phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Damien360 wrote: »
    Is there any other way to downgrade other than ring them. Keep getting cut off. Getting rid of sports (current deal of €5 per week for sports). I don't watch cricket and PL is over. App and web both force you to phone.

Use the sky reps here on boards. I sent them a pm and they arranged a call back for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

greendom wrote: »
    Probably, still it will give me a decent chunk of next season for next to nothing

Yes but they will hope you won't give it up mid season and they probably won't have the same offer on the table by then. Reel you in at a low price then keep you hooked.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes but they will hope you won't give it up mid season and they probably won't have the same offer on the table by then. Reel you in at a low price then keep you hooked.

I'll take it again for a euro a month, may even pay a tenner, but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Damien360 wrote: »

o to the sky website and use live chat then its done in minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

My wife tried to cancel out subscription for over a month. She rang in evenings after 7 kept on phone until 7.55 to be told cancellations were closed for the day. When she did eventually cancel they argued with her for 30 mins to not cancel. She made it clear she wanted to cancel the account, whole package tv phone and broadband...they said they had cancelled then she got a confirmation email next day saying she had cancelled phone only. She raised a complaint and still waiting for confirmation that the account is cancelled. Only 1 way to cancel that SKY understand...cancel the DD once the final bill has been paid once you've given them the 30 days notice of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

So my folks, both retired and in their seventies, have had Sky for years (at least 20) and I recently found out that they're now paying €83 PM for a TV-only, *SD* package of variety + cinema and sports (my father likes to watch a lot rugby and golf), with no Sky Plus or anything like that; and with the same stone-age box that they got when originally connected, which seems to be a total and utter rip-off to me.

It's basically the same package they've always had, with a few tweaks along the way; but Sky never bothered to upgrade them in any way or drop the prices as their other services were introduced and made these obsolete - and indeed have been raising them over the last few years, which is even worse.

I've been reading through some of this monster thread and was hoping for some suggestions as to what can be done about this and what's the best approach to getting a, far, better deal for them? 

So any and all info will be very gratefully received!

Bear in mind that they're very used to the Sky interface and setup/remote etc and so that staying with Sky but getting a better deal is the ideal solution, as I think they'd struggle with something new. Having said that, they do have internet from Virgin, so that could perhaps be used as a bargaining chip.

Also, there's no way they could manage an Android/Kodi/whatever box or anything like that, as they're just nowhere near technically proficient enough unfortunately, so those aren't an option.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

So my folks, both retired and in their seventies, have had Sky for years (at least 20) and I recently found out that they're now paying €83 PM for a TV-only, *SD* package of variety + cinema and sports (my father likes to watch a lot rugby and golf), with no Sky Plus or anything like that; and with the same stone-age box that they got when originally connected, which seems to be a total and utter rip-off to me.

It's basically the same package they've always had, with a few tweaks along the way; but Sky never bothered to upgrade them in any way or drop the prices as their other services were introduced and made these obsolete - and indeed have been raising them over the last few years, which is even worse.

I've been reading through some of this monster thread and was hoping for some suggestions as to what can be done about this and what's the best approach to getting a, far, better deal for them? 

Bear in mind that they're very used to the Sky interface and setup/remote etc and so that staying with Sky but getting a better deal is the ideal solution, as I think they'd struggle with something new. Having said that, they do have internet from Virgin, so that could perhaps be used as a bargaining chip.

Also, there's no way they could manage an Android/Kodi/whatever box or anything like that, as they're just nowhere near technically proficient enough unfortunately, so those aren't an option.

Thanks in advance!

Usually comes down to cancelling for a week or so and then signing up again for around half the price for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Usually comes down to cancelling for a week or so and then signing up again for around half the price for a year.

or even just a call to threaten to cancel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boxer2015

Best and most efficient way is to go in to your bank and cancel any direct debit you may have set up with sky. They can't take the money if you cancel the DD in bank. And they will ring you rather then you ringing them. After that they will ring you a few weeks later and offer you a great deal to get you back. Iv done it 3times already and they always say they are willing to quash any outstanding bill. So there you go, get it done and stop wasting your credit ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

boxer2015 wrote: »
    Best and most efficient way is to go in to your bank and cancel any direct debit you may have set up with sky. They can't take the money if you cancel the DD in bank. And they will ring you rather then you ringing them. After that they will ring you a few weeks later and offer you a great deal to get you back. Iv done it 3times already and they always say they are willing to quash any outstanding bill. So there you go, get it done and stop wasting your credit ringing them.

This is stupid advice

Seve OB wrote: »
    This is stupid advice

Stupid you say. Stupid that it has WORKED 3 TIMES! Stupid you say.Please..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Stupid you say. Stupid that it has WORKED 3 TIMES! Stupid you say.Please..

Cancelling a DD doesn't cancel the service, and debt collection agencies get involved also.

Sky should give your parents an upgrade to a new Sky+HD box FOC.

Cancelling a DD doesn't cancel the service, and debt collection agencies get involved also.

Sky should give your parents an upgrade to a new Sky+HD box FOC.
    Sky will send letters that is it.
    No action has ever being taken. They send these letters in the hope that they will get you back as a customer they don't care about the debt. They don't want to lose you to a rival company. As they saying goes 'A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush''. As for debt collectors that's rubbish as it will cost sky too much money to hire them to chase your measly debt. So you Mr or Ms stop being a little scardy cat and grow a pair..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No action has ever being taken. They send these letters in the hope that they will get you back as a customer they don't care about the debt. They don't want to lose you to a rival company. As they saying goes 'A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush''. As for debt collectors that's rubbish as it will cost sky too much money to hire them to chase your measly debt. So you Mr or Ms stop being a little scardy cat and grow a pair..

some people prefer honesty and fairness and like to pay for the service they use, instead of reneging on their dealings with companies. It's not about being a "little scardy cat", its about being a decent, honest and regular person, who pays their way.

Actually they do sell the debt on after a few months. Emerald collections were the company they used, not sure if they still use them or use another company now.

Avada wrote: »
    Actually they do sell the debt on after a few months. Emerald collections were the company they used, not sure if they still use them or use another company now.

Iv owned them money the last 3times I cancled and No debt has ever been paid back to them.
    Every time I get a new sky box currently have sky Q and paid no extra cost.. Figure that . Not that I need it but it's just that easy. Stop getting scared people you won't get locked up in prison with all the people in society that you'd rather didn't exist. Is that what this is all about. It's easy cancel it as I stated in my first post. I think people are scared the guards are going to call to there door and lock them up. Oh poor Rory and aoife will be have to spend Christmas visiting mommy or daddy behind bars because they didn't pay their sky bill! Grow a pair people.

some people prefer honesty and fairness and like to pay for the service they use, instead of reneging on their dealings with companies. It's not about being a "little scardy cat", its about being a decent, honest and regular person, who pays their way.
    Some people live up in the clouds. This is the real world back on land. Honest and fair people get walked on, walked over. Are you a decent, honest and regular male or female may I ask?.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some people live up in the clouds. This is the real world back on land. Honest and fair people get walked on, walked over. Are you a decent, honest and regular male or female may I ask?.
    Maybe he's a bit of both for all we know but regardless I fail to see what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

I think your comments are bang out of order and bordering on trolling. Advising someone to break the law/legal contract isnt on. In any event I cant see anyone taking you seriously.

Thanks in advance!

Ya, I gathered as much from reading through the thread. Any advice wrt what are the current going rate for deals? 
    They tend to change from year to year and depending on what the time of year is also, from what I can gather.

As far as my folks are concerned, they'd like to keep the sports and get HD, also Sky Plus functionality; but I think that should probably be available on a deal for less than what they're paying now - or would it? 

What's the basic going rate for these things now anyway do people know?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hah! Just as I thought, a troll who closed his account after stirring it up.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »

or even just a call to threaten to cancel
    What's the best number to call do you know?

Advertisement