Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window question

Options
  • 27-08-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

As part of the (planned) refit/refurb on my Microplus, I want to put in a new 2 ring gas cooker and was planning on fitting it, just inside the cabin door, on the opposite side to the steering wheel, where there is already a storage unit, which would be the base for same. Just above this unit, is a small almost square window, and I'm wondering could that window be adapted to open out, possibly hinged at the top, with a catch at the bottom.

The windows are all solid glass on aluminium frames, or would a replacement opening window be the preferred option. I would prefer to adapt the original and so maintain the original appearance. But essentially its a question of ventilation for the heat that can build up, from even a single burner, especially in a confined space!

As an alternative, I have considered a movable unit, sited beneath the hatch, which could be opened for ventilation also, but my preference is for option one.

Finally, as in cars, passenger side/drivers side, how does port and starboard apply, as in, when standing in the boat facing forward, or standing outside the front looking back at the boat?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Port and starboard is when you are on the boat, looking forward.
    Port is left (red, square shape) and starboard is right (green, triangle shape)

When navigating in Europe, markers are intended for when you are entering a harbour. So if you see a green maker, it should be on your starboard (right) side when you are entering the harbour.

No idea about your window Im afraid!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

To get a good seal I'd say it would be better to get a new window I'm sure you could get one very similar to your own something like these http://www.all4boat.com/shop/boats-and-accessories/windows-and-visors/standards-round-boat-windows-portlight-s.html
    This company in the UK can make a window using your old one as a template it might be worth giving them a ring http://caldwellswindows.co.uk/index.html or you might find something on their ebay page that might do. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CaldwellsWindowsLtd

port-starboard-bow-stern-html.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Thanks for the replies. I was clear enough about the port/left, starboard/right terminology, just viewed from which perspective. Thanks for the clarification.

I looked at the window options you suggested and found some of them a bit pricey! As its not an immediate priority, I can take my time and have a good look see at the current window when I get back home and put my thinking cap on. I dont see sealing it as a huge issue, as the boat may never be at sea, only lakes and rivers and the window in question is the furthest back, away from any serious splashing and is well above the gunnal (sp) Maybe the addition of a small lip/ flashing above the window would help? Glass sunroofs seal perfectly well on cars, with a good enough rubber seal and strong enough springs/clamps. Worth looking into methinks.

Thanks again.

Advertisement