Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

sosig, Bacun, avokado and briee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Late breakfast / brunch: scrambled eggs on toast with kimchi.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭migrant

John West smoked oysters, on toast. OMFG they're good. I don't know where to get any more from though. I brought loads of them over from my last trip to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

a sosig sandwich, yogoort and a bannanah. lyons tea

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

What are we going to have for breakfast today Brain?

The same thing we have every day Pinkie....

Quick oats with berries, seeds and honey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I think I've had the same thing every day for the last 4 weeks - overnight oats made with coconut milk (Alpro type, not tinned type), blueberries, honey and yoghurt. Still not sick of it, which is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My dad had porridge every morning for over 80 years, I’m a mere infant at about 20. (Not sure what I had before porridge). Always tastes great.

My dad however, couldn’t even make porridge and had to rely on someone making it for him everyday. Mad world back then.

Slightly related - I was in a petrol station close to home a few months back grabbing a coffee and real farmer auld fella came in beside me (we're very rural, and he'd be super rural) - there's a mart here so most people wandering in would be old farmers. He asked about tea and I grabbed him a tea bag as they were a little hidden - they were the little individually wrapped Barry's teabags so you mightn't spot them if not looking for them specifically. It was soon quite obvious he didn't know how to make tea so I made it up for him. He was saying that someone usually makes it for him and he didn't the right order to do things in. Different world back then for sure 🙂 Had a lovely chat with him and bought the tea for him - forgot about it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Porridge is a super food especially made with real milking. Not white vegetable milk

I have it 95% of the time in the morning with fruit. This morning's offering with sliced apple, raspberries and blackberries.

Slava Ukrainii

real milking white vegetable milk

What you using?

• Advertisement

Sorry missprint on the last post. I use full fat pasteurized cows milk with water. One third milk two thirds water

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This morning at 8am I had a half bowl of cereal and two beautifully runny fried eggs cooked on the pan I cooked pork chops on yesterday along with a roll. It was all yum :) .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

4 slices toast butter marmalade and pot of tea.

Same every day since I can remember 🥴😁

I'd have porridge around 1am during work shift but couldn't stand it in the daytime😋

Usually it's a milky coffee and a rollie for me, as I rarely eat breakfast.

If I have a late breakfast or brunch, it would be either hummous (with sliced onion), kippers or scrambled eggs (with butter) on toasted brown bread (the rustic seeded type). A bit of kimchi or pickle would go with this, and usually a hot sauce.

Gave up on porridge years ago, just couldn't take to the slimy texture and no longer eat sweet things (savoury porridge does not appeal to me at all). I no longer eat fruit either.

Although I like the full Irish breakfast, it's never a thing I would make at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Porridge was my dads main breakfast most mornings, though he did cook it on the hob and the fry every Sunday. He'd have the bowls left cooling on the window for us when we came down.

He was a bit older than was probably the norm in those days getting married and had lived away from home since 16 so had learned to be fairly self sufficient. He didn't usually make the dinner and wasn't a fancy cook but could make a good stew or bacon and cabbage. Mum was the one with the time though and dinner had to be on the table at 1! He would help out with the Sunday roast though. He did do more in later years as mum went back to work but I had left home at that stage.

Occasionally eat porridge now but would struggle to have it every morning, I'm the brown bin in the house so using up any bread, fruit, yogurts with granola or ham with eggs. Wheetabix is the usual option if there's nothing to be finished.

I'm getting way OT here, but I do find it a bit sad when men (usually) are so unable to cook.

My dad is 81, but never cooks.

He was always trying to be health conscious though, from my early memories (remember Dawn skimmed milk powder??).

And, going down that memory hole..

I remember him eating Country Store (muesli) back in the late 1970's (with the skimmed milk) for breakfast, but it was full of sugar!

At the time, we (the kids) used to have cereal (corn flakes, Frosties, Weetabix) with cold milk, or hot tea during the winter. Any one else remember pouring hot tea onto breakfast cereal?😆

And Ready Brek!

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

I cook it in the microwave, I put the porridge flakes in the bowl with an equal volume of milk, stir it and then I add boiling water. One minute on high 750W and 4 minutes on low 150W.

When I add a fruit to mix in it ( apple, pear, kiwi mandrin etc it cools it enough to eat it.

If I was up very early and came back later a second breakfast ( as the hobbits say) lately it is toast and pesto, but toast and brie, a course pate or something like that is excellent.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

^^ @Bass Reeves I've tried to like pate, but I can't take to the taste of liver, even in pate form. A very nutritious thing. I do love vegetarian pates though, especially mushroom flavoured ones.

They're a bit expensive to buy, so might try to make my own... would be lovely for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

I was talking about the 80's! I'm not a heathen I use a microwave now!

We did get a microwave in the late eighties and my memory of it is burning the fingers of yourself and scalding your face taking the cling film of the reheated dinner when we came home from school. My mum was one for taking no chances when when cooking or reheating food! I didn't know what al dente pasta was until I cooked it for myself! She was a good baker but anything cooked on the hob was boiled till it was mush.

Dad remained old fairly old school, tea was loose leaf and a guggy egg in a cup on the hob was is his emergency snack he'd make. There was a cup in the press reserved for it, was thrown out at some stage but I wish now I had it.

I do like an elevenses on the weekend but as much as I love pate to me is a post 12pm option.

Speaking of pate and not cooking, housemate in first year of college couldn't boil an egg. He lived on frozen pizzas and toast with pate. He ate so much of it I don't think I ever spread on toast now without recalling it. I hope he improved it's a pretty limited diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just had a flash back to this ad ... or maybe a later version but with yer wan screaming out the lyrics 😁

My granny was also one for making sure things were cooked cooked - especially meat - for fear of poisoning someone. You haven't had pork chops until you've had pork chops that were boiled, then fried, then grilled just to make sure.

Overnight oats again this morning, except I'm not that well prepared - so about 25 minutes oats. I have no idea where it came from, but we have 1 glass jar with a handle type thing that you might see in a hipster bar, and I always reach for it to make them up in. Stupid jar otherwise - I've nearly thrown it out a million times 😅

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Foraged some Cep / Porcini mushrooms yesterday, first time to find them, season is starting, had them as below just now.......best ever mushrooms I've ever tasted!!

.....wait......I'm starting to see trippppple.......😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fillet steak and eggs x 2. Great hangover breakfast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sourdough french toast with dry cure rashers. It was beautiful sorry I don't have a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Bacon, Sunny side up fried eggs, a French baguette.

Coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sausage rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

My usual with 2 boiled eggs

How do you like your steak in the morning? 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Big match day…..lining begins 😀

(Wait…….no mushrooms? 😀)

Advertisement