Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta; Stage 8 (Aug 25): Lleida - Andorra; *contains unmasked spoilers*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Nico was very unlucky today, what a time for a mechanical, Sky were setting a savage tempo so he performed heroics to limit his losses.
    That last climb was savage, those ramps went up from 10 to 15% :eek: valverde, froome and contador all had a lash, and with 2 weeks to go and more finishes like this it really will be the survival of the fittest. Most of the major tours are decided in the last week so any one of probably the top 4 could still win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Another tweet from Nico (@nicholasroche)
    "But all ok will ride hard to get back closer to top 5..ben and riblon gave me a good hand! And thanks to @simonclarke for that zip of water."

Glad to hear that he is getting some help from his team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

to finish just 1 minute odd down is some result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

corny wrote: »
    Could have been worse. Gesink will have his day where he explodes so top 5 still there for Roche.

I'd wager top 3.

Wonder what odds I'd get?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I'd wager top 3.

Wonder what odds I'd get?

Wonder no more my man. Top 3 odds for Roche

Some tits offering 25/1 on Betfair. That's not bad at all.

But if you want some easy money, Roche for Top 6 GC is at 14/5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'd recorded the highlights and watched them yesterday. Holy crap, that was a truly epic climb, from front on the TV never shows the true steepness well, but from the few side on shots you could see how crazy it was, seriously tough sections.

The ITV4 commentators (both the main guy with possibly the most annoying nasally voice ever and the other fella who chimed in every so often) took their UK bias to another level by calling Froome 'stronges man in the race' at least 7 times and talking about how Contador was doing well to hold his wheel. You didn't need the benefits of hindsight to see how clearly Contador was just saving energy hanging in behind waiting to make a jump towards the end. Not sure Froome could've played it much differently - the track stand was misguided as it let the 2 others get back in contact, but his choice was to force Contador to do some work or to knowingly give him a free tow.

Was really saddened when I saw the unrepetant drug-user Contador making his way towards the line for what looked a certain victory only to see one of the most specatacular uphill sprint finishes from Valverde and Rodriguez flying by him (at least if there are any suspicions/convictions on them, I'm blissfully ignorant of them so it didn't spoil the enjoyment).

I think Nico did phenomenally well to finish only a minute down on those elite climbers on a truly challenging climb, nothing shabby about that whatsoever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was really saddened when I saw the unrepetant drug-user Contador making his way towards the line for what looked a certain victory only to see one of the most specatacular uphill sprint finishes from Valverde and Rodriguez flying by him (at least if there are any suspicions/convictions on them, I'm blissfully ignorant of them so it didn't spoil the enjoyment).

Sorry but Valverde just back form a 2 year ban for doping (part of Puerto). Completely unrepentant too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sorry but Valverde just back form a 2 year ban for doping (part of Puerto). Completely unrepentant too.....

:eek:
    Are there any professional cyclists we can trust?? The more I learn about all this the more disillusioned I am - I never even knew our beloved Sean Kelly tested positive twice. There was a huge cycling event this weekend in Waterford named after him, like he's some sort of hero :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Surinam wrote: »
    Are there any professional cyclists we can trust?? The more I learn about all this the more disillusioned I am - I never even knew our beloved Sean Kelly tested positive twice. There was a huge cycling event this weekend in Waterford named after him, like he's some sort of hero :(

I think the consensus is that the only world class cyclist of recent years considered clean is Greg Le Mond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

RobFowl wrote: »

Ah well....thought there was something ringing in the back of my mind about him alright but couldn't place him. Makes it more depressing...was kinda hoping that it could've been a good example of the bright side of cycling - drug cheat returns and gets trumped right on the line by a clean rider, but I guess not. Commentator said Valverde and Rodriguez were known for their fast finishes on extremely steep slopes, but their speed at the end looked incredible, so knowing Valverde is a drug cheat certainly doesn't make it seem any less incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

While it's fine to comment on past misdemeanours, please do not make any allegations concering doping amongst current riders unless a positive test is declared

Thanks

Beasty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

riparooo wrote: »
    I think the consensus is that the only world class cyclist of recent years considered clean is Greg Le Mond.

Carlos Sastre?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Ah come on Surinam - a bit off-topic, but still have to respond. The SKT event is NOT named after him. He is a main organiser. Rides out with the first part of each of the 160/100 and 50km. Pure gent giving his time with all of the kids, adults etc. Few hours of photos and signatures before heading to airport back to Eurosport for the Vuelta coverage.

This is about giving back to the sport he loves.

Hard man who had to play the game the way it was played. From what I know/hear he is still well respected in within the sport (and not just by the suits). Pity the sporting bodies did not have the courage/technical know-how to sort it out. Hopefully USADA/WADA led initiatives will 'support' UCI in the right direction.

Back on topic now, or happy to roll-over to a new thread.

Oldlegs wrote: »

From what I know/hear he is still well respected in within the sport (and not just by the suits). Pity the sporting bodies did not have the courage/technical know-how to sort it out. Hopefully USADA/WADA led initiatives will 'support' UCI in the right direction.

Sorry but I absolutely LOLed at that sentence. That means absolutely nothing given how up to their neck in it most of the people "within the sport" at the top level seem to be. Small example: when Vinokourov won that gold medal in London this year, notice how the peloton were all patting him on the back etc? If I were one of those guys I'd be raging at this drugs cheat being allowed back in with no consequences. Notice how Lance Armstrong is still feted by so many at the top?

You have to do some background reading to really see just how grubby the professional level of the sport can be. Most of them seem totally at ease with dopers continuing to cycle alongside them, do you ever wonder why?

Sorry but it really makes me sad how blind people can be; you almost portray him as some sort of victim of the system. If you want to pass yourself off as some great honest sportsman then don't dope, it's as simple as that. :(

Mods: apologies, last off-topic post from me - maybe move these to the other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

If you want to pass yourself off as some great honest sportsman then don't dope, it's as simple as that. :(
    QUOTE]

I don't think SK has ever tried to pass himself off as anything other than a former pro who does a bit of commentating.

Russman wrote: »
    If you want to pass yourself off as some great honest sportsman then don't dope, it's as simple as that. :(
    QUOTE]

I don't think SK has ever tried to pass himself off as anything other than a former pro who does a bit of commentating.

Well then why all the praise and admiration? Look at Michelle Smith and the reaction to her in comparison!

I would of course acknowledge his contribution to promoting healthy lifestyles through cycling events etc. but this is just like trying to excuse LA because of Livestrong.

Advertisement