Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer mile

Options
  • 23-08-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

The beer mile american record has been broken :)

Surely this is something that Ireland* has a shot at? Why isnt there an international competition? We could be Brazil at this.

What do you reckon your beer mile time would be?

*i'm aware its an unhelpful national stereotype, bad example for kids yadda yadda yadda its just a bit of fun visit drinkaware.ie etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Surely this is something that Ireland* has a shot at? Why isnt there an international competition? We could be Brazil at this.

*i'm aware its an unhelpful national stereotype, bad example for kids yadda yadda yadda its just a bit of fun visit drinkaware.ie etc
    Prob because we'd end up just drinking the beer and skipping the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Shocked Symmonds didnt get close to the WR tbh.

Its a tricky event because the harder you push on the running the more the gas gets to you and come close to the dreaded "penalty lap".

Fastest time I have done myself is 6.17 (on that day the winner was 5.42) back in my hayday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ecoli wrote: »

Fastest time I have done myself is 6.17 (on that day the winner was 5.42) back in my hayday:D

wow, thats class. Pity it wasnt this year; id have that baby up in its own category in the 'Best of 2012' thread in a flash smile.gif

We have got to organise a boards beer mile.

also.....Upcoming events: 2013 - the inaugural boards beer marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

tbh american sized beer in that time is very poor. I have seen 4 secs for a pint of larger and 5 secs for a pint of Guinness but then again he is an elite drinker ;)

wow, thats class. Pity it wasnt this year; id have that baby up in its own category in the 'Best of 2012' thread in a flash smile.gif

We have got to organise a boards beer mile.

also.....Upcoming events: 2013 - the inaugural boards beer marathon.

Unfortunately there is no where in Ireland to do these races anymore like everything else this country lacks the facilities to be truly world class :D

In terms of marathon. Boards trip?? but we will have to make it sophisticated

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

We should do this. Pick a date, probs sometime after the Dublin marathon.

rom wrote: »
    tbh american sized beer in that time is very poor. I have seen 4 secs for a pint of larger and 5 secs for a pint of Guinness but then again he is an elite drinker ;)

You aren't factoring in the trapped gas within the can. This is what kills you especially when you have to do a 400m after each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

You aren't factoring in the trapped gas within the can. This is what kills you especially when you have to do a 400m after each

Quite - I can't imagine running after drinking a can of Bud or whatever fizzy stuff they drink over there. A nice glass of plain or Real Ale is much more compatible with this new challenge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

"penalty lap".

What's this for? If you get sick during the race I'm assuming?

There's a beer mile coming up in a few weeks at Melbourne Uni. I'm very tempted. I'd be taking a deep step into the unknown. I'm not a great at chugging drinks, and I'm not a great runner, so overall I'm guessing I'd be fairly f*cked!

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    What's this for? If you get sick during the race I'm assuming?

There's a beer mile coming up in a few weeks at Melbourne Uni. I'm very tempted. I'd be taking a deep step into the unknown. I'm not a great at chugging drinks, and I'm not a great runner, so overall I'm guessing I'd be fairly f*cked!

Yes Puking incurs a penalty lap

http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer#rules

Tbh I have found that just because you excel at either (drinking or running) does not always translate to good beer mile. Often its the average at both who tend to do the best (maybe because they pace themselves)

I would say go for it and just go out very conservative in the running. The Aussies tend have a great tradition in beer miling from what I know so its probably one of the best places to do a beer mile in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Unfortunately there is no where in Ireland to do these races anymore like everything else this country lacks the facilities to be truly world class :D

In terms of marathon. Boards trip?? but we will have to make it sophisticated

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/

:D

A few clubmates did that last year and they said it was the most enjoyable race they've done by far.

Barca Marathon in 2011 was the closest we've had to a mass boardsie trip away. Think there was about 15 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm that's certainly quicker then me, My 1st attempt I sprinted like a looney 1st 600 before puking the whole lot up ha, 2nd time took it well handy 1st 800, just about finished it (and when I say just about, I really had to make the effort not to puke ha), came in something around the 8minutes!

Doing them on proper athletics tracks is asking for trouble though ha, anyone got a nice big field that we can mark out a track on! Best time for one would be about 9pm on the national seniors night, you'd have 1/2 the country taking part then though ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm that's certainly quicker then me, My 1st attempt I sprinted like a looney 1st 600 before puking the whole lot up ha, 2nd time took it well handy 1st 800, just about finished it (and when I say just about, I really had to make the effort not to puke ha), came in something around the 8minutes!

Doing them on proper athletics tracks is asking for trouble though ha, anyone got a nice big field that we can mark out a track on! Best time for one would be about 9pm on the national seniors night, you'd have 1/2 the country taking part then though ha!

Agree with this was thinking would it not be better to have "water" stations along a one mile stretch or even a one mile loop so you could keep an eye for penalty laps

Bottles all the way. World record was set with bottles. Now if they had a bottle with a straw and a sharp tap so it would go down in one could the record (or possible death) be under threat. I presume you could have someone hand you the bottle with the straw ?

Bottles all the way. World record was set with bottles. Now if they had a bottle with a straw and a sharp tap so it would go down in one could the record (or possible death) be under threat. I presume you could have someone hand you the bottle with the straw ?

Thats a performance enhancer ya doper :D
    Beer cans must not be tampered with in any manner, ie. no
    shotgunning or puncturing of the can except for opening the can by
    the tab at the top. The same applies with bottles - no straws or
    other aids are allowed in order to aid in the speed of pouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/A_new_focus_for_Will_Clarke_2851.html

Will Clarke, UK pro triathlete claims a 5:07 beer mile which would be world record

Nice flattish area in the park by magazine hill. Easily fit in a 400 metre loop there and disturb no one.

Gringo78 wrote: »

Will Clarke, UK pro triathlete claims a 5:07 beer mile which would be world record
    Its an unofficial time.

http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_all
    no. 5 went for snakebite. hardcore

The women's standard is weak http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_sex/g_F :)

Gringo78 wrote: »

I love traveling (without a bike ideally) and when I was at University I ran 5:07 for the 'Beer Mile' which is 4 laps with a pint 568ml after each lap.

I would assume this is the reason it is not listed as the WR. Also the need to provide video evidence

Wait, I'm in the UK and we drink 4 pints instead of 4 pansy 12 oz. cans. Why are our rules not "official"?

It's said that the record for the 4 pint "Chunder Mile" is close to 5 minutes, an impressive feat. However, drinking from a glass or cup has proven to be much much faster than from a can or bottle. Of course, there's a lot more alcohol, hops, and carbonation to consume. At the same time, most "Chunder" contests don't penalize vomiting. It's hard to compare these times to "Kingston" / North American times. Few argue that logistics should compete with sheer drinking ability, but the "Chunder Mile" format has not been as popular online as the the "Kingston" version.

http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer#rules

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Nice flattish area in the park by magazine hill. Easily fit in a 400 metre loop there and disturb no one.

UCD track isn't being used for anything... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    UCD track isn't being used for anything... :rolleyes:
    First time I've gone to the beer mile site , I like this sound of this event

The 4-Lap Beer Steeplechase (4 beers, 4 quarters, 16 barriers, 4 water pits)
    Best known effort: 8:52.0

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Video of Symmonds' beer mile

Fixed for you

Another great video in 1080P. Not if your just after eating. Shows the highs and lows of this great event :)

Fixed for you

Another great video in 1080P. Not if your just after eating. Shows the highs and lows of this great event :)

He needs to work on the drinking phase of the event, apart from that he was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

what a fab idea, I'd try who's organising the 1st ever irish beer mile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

There's the famous Raheny 1m loop. Perfect for this.

tbb - this should be the next distance we do battle over after our 50m sprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

christeb wrote: »
    There's the famous Raheny 1m loop. Perfect for this.

tbb - this should be the next distance we do battle over after our 50m sprint!

Lol dangerous territory. I could see that raheny beer mile becoming a weekly thing :)

'The first rule of raheny beer mile is: DONT talk about raheny beer mile.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

9:20 for my debut beer mile to finish 14th out of 36 finishers. A lot of craic, can't recommend it highly enough. Savage support along the track. Really made those last few beers go down that bit easier! You'd struggle to find a better organised beer mile.

A shame that the official world record didn't go today, bit give him time and he'd hit it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    A shame that the official world record didn't go today, bit give him time and he'd hit it again.
    9:20? Did you have to do a penalty lap? :)
    Videos, or it didn't happen. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Krusty, trust me, just completion of your first beermile is a major achievement within itself ha, Bit like the marathon probably ha, its nothing like any other race you have done before! My 1st one ended in a dnf :o, 2nd time I paced myself much better, both in running and chugging ha!

Advertisement