Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Teaching dance

• 23-08-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4 GemJ

I am a dance /drama teacher in eduction through the GTP system in England. Next year my family move over to Dublin and was wondering if dance/drama were subject on the curriculum where I could be appointed as as teacher and is the GTP certificate vald in the rep of Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭ dambarude

Dance/Drama aren't subjects in their own right in Ireland. At secondary level dance is part of PE, as far as I'm aware. I think the closest thing to drama is Shakespearean study in English. EDIT: See what Spurious says below.

At primary level drama is a subject, but is usually taught by the class teacher. Dance forms part of the PE curriculum. Schools sometimes hire Irish dancing teachers, but the numbers doing that are falling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious

There is a Drama module in the Applied Leaving Cert., but it wouldn't be enough to give anyone a full-time job in a school.

We have a dance studio in our school, but it's usually used out of hours by clubs and the like who bring their own teachers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭ byhookorbycrook

The Dept do not want outside paid teachers coming into primary and most schools are loathe to ask parents for extras like this anyhow.

Advertisement