Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching dance

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am a dance /drama teacher in eduction through the GTP system in England. Next year my family move over to Dublin and was wondering if dance/drama were subject on the curriculum where I could be appointed as as teacher and is the GTP certificate vald in the rep of Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Dance/Drama aren't subjects in their own right in Ireland. At secondary level dance is part of PE, as far as I'm aware. I think the closest thing to drama is Shakespearean study in English. EDIT: See what Spurious says below.

At primary level drama is a subject, but is usually taught by the class teacher. Dance forms part of the PE curriculum. Schools sometimes hire Irish dancing teachers, but the numbers doing that are falling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a Drama module in the Applied Leaving Cert., but it wouldn't be enough to give anyone a full-time job in a school.

We have a dance studio in our school, but it's usually used out of hours by clubs and the like who bring their own teachers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Dept do not want outside paid teachers coming into primary and most schools are loathe to ask parents for extras like this anyhow.

Advertisement