Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pics

Options
  • 23-08-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

As requested and as promised. These are some pics when I went to actually buy the boat. Needed something as a fix, until I could get it home.

I am so looking forward to getting started on it and will keep you all updated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Oh No :D:D
    She looks quite good and seems to have all her bits and pieces should be an easy fix up "if there is such a thing on a boat" First things first throw buckets of water over the cabin around the windows, hatch and fittings and check in side for any drips if you like you can colour the water with washable kids paint or food colouring to help look for any little trickles that might be hard to spot it's easier to fix any leaks now than later:D
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

fergal.b wrote: »
    Oh No :D:D
    She looks quite good and seems to have all her bits and pieces should be an easy fix up "if there is such a thing on a boat" First things first throw buckets of water over the cabin around the windows, hatch and fittings and check in side for any drips if you like you can colour the water with washable kids paint or food colouring to help look for any little trickles that might be hard to spot it's easier to fix any leaks now than later:D
    Good luck.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the water test tip! I intend to remove the windows anyway and will be reseating and re sealing them anyway. They are glass, with aluminium frames, which I much prefer to perspex and rubber, and they will come out when I am G3'ing the boat, just for convenience also. I will probably replace the rubber trim also, around the door/hatch and anywhere else. I have gotten this before from Keoghs Motor factors, formerly in Blessington Street in Dublin but now in the Dublin/Glasnevin industrial estate. They are most helful and have a wealth of useable motor/boating type fittings and fixtures.

I am happy enough to have the free time (busy working) to put my thinking cap on and come up with various ideas etc. for my baby. One such thought is to introduce a little more mahogany to the scheme of things, including a new cabin door, in mahogany veneered marine ply, into which I will route a planked or boarded effect. I have done this before, making cabinet and wardrobe doors and it is very effective and means the door is still one solid piece. But I am thinking about mounting and hinging this new door on top of the existing fibreglass door, which has a sort of recess in it. The reason being that this recess would be ideal to house a table top, which would be taken out when neede for use on deck, for those al fresco moments. Any thoughts.

Storage inside will be improved with maybe an integral/removable cooler box. Of course, as mentioned, new floors, sheeted in the cabin and slatted on deck. I am also playing with the notion of replacing the black rubber wrap around bumper (is that the correct term?) with a solid mahogany rail. More prone to damage yes, but repairable also. New one piece hand rails on top also in mahogany and maybe a wee mast? I also want to remove the steering wheel, ignition etc and fit a mahogany panel in this section and then replace all the fixtures and fittings.

All seating, cabin and deck will be overhauled, reupholstered, with the transom moulded seats getting a bit of attention also.

A rewire, with possibly a zig unit for a mains hook up, some interior lighting, an exterior moveable spot light, and all the usual filler, paint, fibreglass, goo etc. that is required.

I will no doubt have plenty of questions as I proceed, so watch this space and thanks again!

PS. Why the big OH NO?? As if I didn't know!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Have a look at the Norman boats http://www.normanboats.co.uk/ and the freeman boats http://www.freemancruiser.co.uk/pics.htm you might get some ideas on how to kit it out. The rubber bumper "rub rail" on some boats are also used to hide the seam between the top and bottom and once taken off can be tricky to get back on so just be sure before you take it off.
    The Oh No was because it's orange :D reminds me of an MGBGT I once owned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Thanks again for your input fergal. I have visited the Microplus site and have signed up to the owners group, though it seems to be a pretty small group, with most members in the UK. It is a useful place for info, including many pictures of owners boats and a forum like this also. I have thought about the hardwood "bumper" and think I might have the theory part worked out, but then theory is just a word, putting it into practice can be a sentence!

I will post details for your consideration when the glitches (theoretical) are ironed out. In the meantime I am away working, not home again for a week, so hope to get the boat home during the first week in September.

Regarding the orange colour, it is, as mentioned totally original, which I think is good and inspired me with a possible name for the boat. How about
    "Essex Girl"? or maybe even "San-Tan-A"

Ok then, back to the drawing board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The rubber bumper "rub rail" ....:)

Rubbing strake, please.;)

• Advertisement

Rubbing strake, please.;)

I would consider rubbing strakes as smaller strips of wood, stainless steal plastic or rubber where a rub rail goes all the way around the boat, but thats just me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I would consider rubbing strakes as smaller strips of wood, stainless steal plastic or rubber where a rub rail goes all the way around the boat, but thats just me :D

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Not quite; a rubbingstrake goes completely around a boat, but I agree with 'rub rail'. . My response was on the term 'bumpers' - which boats do not have:eek:. If the helmsman’s seamanship and manners are so poor as to crash into a quay or another vessel when coming alongside, the damage should be minimised by using big ‘fenders’ until the art (& manners) are learned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strake................ Many current pleasure craft reflect this history by providing the boat with a mechanically-attached (and therefore replaceable) rub rail at the location formerly occupied by a rubbing strake.
    .........and ‘Bumper’ is not mentioned once.:P

I’ve bought from http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/listDepartments.asp?intSiteAreaId=1 and found their product very good.

P.

Advertisement