Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise sees 3 hour delay

Options
  • 22-08-2012 11:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

On Tuesday 21st August 2012, the 2050 Dublin Connolly/Belfast Central suffered a 3 hour delay after coming to a halt near Finaghy halt in South Belfast. It was a result after Loco 208 had shutdown.

After many attempts by the driver & fitters, the loco would not start. It was then declared a failure. On top of this, Tennants Vital was on at Balmoral and there were several specials operating on this line on this night in conjunction and as a result of the failure, the down line was blocked with a special & passenger service behind it.

At 0130hrs, Loco 206 arrived to the scene to haul the disgraced set to York Road. Departing here at 0149hrs, we arrived into Belfast Central at 0210hrs!

It should also be noted that 208 had failed on Mon 20th August 2012 at York Road Depot whilst still fouling the mainline. On this night the problem was fuel starvation. This caused delays to several passenger services as a result. It is believed that it was a similar problem that caused to failure near Finaghy on Tues night.

Photos from the failure :
    http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2040532747&k=rpcq6kh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

More fuel for the Mk3 EGV debate

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

At 0130hrs, Loco 206 arrived to the scene to haul the disgraced set to York Road. Departing here at 0149hrs, we arrived into Belfast Central at 0210hrs!

Two questions: why did it take so long for another loco to come and rescue it? Secondly, who cleared a faulty loco for intercity duties when the fault clearly hadn't been fixed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

As it stands the Mk3 Vans are undergoing testing and commissioning. There is a few technical issues but they are being addressed at present.

With regards to 208 being put back into service, the set completed a test run to Mossley West & back during the afternoon and proved to be okay. However, a test run of a return trip of just 10 miles wouldn't say too much. Finally, the reason it took so long for the rescue loco to travel 5 1/2 miles to the failed set, NIR were operating specials in conjunction with a festival near Balmoral. To send a LE out in the middle of that during single line working would have made problems worse and caused delays on other services which includes specials to Coleraine / Carrickfergus & Portadown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

As it stands the Mk3 Vans are undergoing testing and commissioning. There is a few technical issues but they are being addressed at present.
    Ah sure, it's only been three years since the project began with 7604, no hurry NIR/IE...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Since the 15 August the Belfast services has being a shambles. Prety much a failure/major fault everyday with aerage delay of 90 mins. There has being NI class trains operating as a replacement for the past couple of days and would expect the same tomorrow. At least one entreprise set out of action but one of the days I think it was two.

Cork line isn't much better over the last week either.
    I was on the 18.30 to Dublin on Monday terminated Limerick J (lot of smoke from loco) and had to wait for 2 hours for the 20.30 to arrive.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There has being NI class trains operating as a replacement for the past couple of days and would expect the same tomorrow. At least one entreprise set out of action but one of the days I think it was two.

That is correct Jamkie2k9. Yesterday seen the 0650 & 1235 from Belfast operated by 6 car Class 3000 units due to the failure of 208 on Monday night. Today had the same services operated by a 6 car Class 3000 unit due to last night's failure at Finaghy. However the coaching stock from last night's failure has returned to mainline service with Loco 206 this evening working the 1810 Belfast / Dublin. 208 remains in York Road awaiting attention.

As the time of this writing there is no intention or any plans for any services to be operated by a Railcar tomorrow. All 3 sets are serviceable and fit for mainline revenue services.

anyone hear about progress getting 75mph 29Ks off and 90mph (capable) TPWSed 22Ks on the 0645 ex Newry? :rolleyes:

First I heard of that, however Dundalk drivers are all passed on 22s so no reason it couldn't be done. I understand the 0645 x Newry is 45mph until it reaches the Border and then it avails of the 75mph limits. This is because of the TPWS issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Is this the first time an Enterprise loco in the purple livery has joined up double headed with the green livery of 8208?

I'm not 100 % sure about that. I remember 177 hauling 208 before infact!!!!

I think there was a time in 2009, 208 failed at Central of the 2045 x Dublin and it was hauled over by 206 that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

First I heard of that, however Dundalk drivers are all passed on 22s so no reason it couldn't be done. I understand the 0645 x Newry is 45mph until it reaches the Border and then it avails of the 75mph limits. This is because of the TPWS issue.

One would think that IE would take full advantage of the fact that they got TPWS fitted to the first 6 sets of 22s, that they would actually use them on a service that would take full advantage of that fact. Or is it too hard to keep those sets on that link with the way the 22s are rotated around for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

More fuel for the Mk3 EGV debate

I see what you did there, very sharp.

Ran out of fuel . . . fuel for the debate.

Good one. :p

z

One would think that IE would take full advantage of the fact that they got TPWS fitted to the first 6 sets of 22s, that they would actually use them on a service that would take full advantage of that fact. Or is it too hard to keep those sets on that link with the way the 22s are rotated around for maintenance.

Without getting diagrams out of the file, of the top of my head there is a 0023 Drogheda/Dundalk on weekdays which comes fresh from the depot. This is the continuation of the 2330 from Pearse. That could easily be an ICR which could then run to Newry to following morning for the 0645. Given the fact there are 6 TPWS sets, I personally don't think it would be too hard to keep these 6 on the Connolly side of things.

First of all before any of this happens, A gauging trial needs to be done! Since these arrived in 2007, they still haven't went north of Dundalk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Aren't there any 201s lying around idle....oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not all 201's are allowed to operate in NI, not all fitted with correct equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Using the Enterprise next week, hopefully it'll have had all it's tantrums over by then!

Using the Enterprise next week, hopefully it'll have had all it's tantrums over by then!

A few loco swaps maybe. 207, 227 and 228 are the stronger of the 9 Enterprise 201s imo. If you see 209 on a set, good luck.:pac:

A few loco swaps maybe. 207, 227 and 228 are the stronger of the 9 Enterprise 201s imo. If you see 209 on a set, good luck.:pac:

227 hasn't worked the Enterprise since 30th Jan 2012.

209 hasn't worked the Enterprise since late 2010

I think the HEP on 209 is wrecked

227 hasn't worked the Enterprise since 30th Jan 2012.

209 hasn't worked the Enterprise since late 2010

I think the HEP on 209 is wrecked

I think 209 is wrecked, full stop. ;) :pac:

15 years on almost and no major solution to the HEP torture of the locos, have good memories of them when they were brand spanking new, locos and then coaches

• Advertisement

208 operated light from York Road to Inchicore today departing at 0755hrs. The loco run under it's own power throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

seems to be the HEP causing the problems? why didn't they get generator vans with the de deitrics when they bought them? don't they have dvts? maybe they could have got them equiped with the generators? would have been easier then putting locos under to much stress with what seems to be badly implemented HEP.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

end of the road - I think the problem is that since only two platforms at Connolly can take long sets (and I think also on platform 4 that involves blocking 3?) being able to stuff passengers in the DVT/going without an EGV allowed more seats for the same length of train, especially when marshalling the sets as 3x8 rather than 4x7 and operating a consequently reduced timetable.

Ideally the power car for the DDs would be single ended with a HEP generator mounted at the back which would achieve both or the 201s could be replaced with generator sets where the HEP load could be alternated between the engine units. But neither of those scenarios is happening. It's interesting to see that lots of US/Canadian locos are being refitted as prime mover + generator, HEP off the prime mover seems to be much less fashionable these days.

I would marshall the Enterprise sets back into 4 consists with an EGV each plus one 22K and one C4K set detailed to do infill services. Unfortunately there's no money for that either.

Are there any bits which could be swapped - either PP/TPWS one way or prime mover/HEP t'other - between a parked non-PP and 209 to make a "good" HEP/PP unit?

As for the discussion re the 22s, I simply cannot understand why 29Ks are (a) used on the Newry run and (b) to stand in for broken Enterprises. It means a waiver from proper safe operation because of no TPWS on the 29s and also that full track speed cannot be achieved by Enterprise replacement sets (where IE and NIR haven't left it go to the dogs). The 22s commissioning is so nearly complete it allowed the 2800s to go to Limerick, Drogheda Depot is now housing 22s, so what is the impediment to doing clearance trials? Nobody seems to know or if they do they aren't saying.

seems to be the HEP causing the problems? why didn't they get generator vans with the de deitrics when they bought them? don't they have dvts? maybe they could have got them equiped with the generators? would have been easier then putting locos under to much stress with what seems to be badly implemented HEP.

Sort of, the original plan was for 4 x trains of 7 coaches, hence there being 4 locos originally, 206-209. This was soon changed to 3 x trains of 8 with the spare coaches stored in Belfast, but they used to be used on occasional off peak services as a 4 piece. Id imagine the locos HEP was designed with 7 coaches and not 8 in mind. Coupled with the rather tortuous route at times together with 2/3 return runs per day, this soon brought reliability down

dowlingm wrote: »
    (and I think also on platform 4 that involves blocking 3?)
    oh? how is that?

oh? how is that?
    not 100pc sure, am hoping Losty or someone else knowledgeable will bring more clarity.

If you have a long train on platform 3 you can block 2 which is the one the Enterprise uses. You can't have a too long a train in 2 to block 3 as the way the signal is placed, it does not allow for a very long train in 2 that would foul 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dowlingm wrote: »
    not 100pc sure, am hoping Losty or someone else knowledgeable will bring more clarity.

4 and 5 are lined up for the Sligo/Maynooth line as well as the Belfast line. Platforms 1, 2 and 3 can run onto the branch but in doing so they foul up all 5 lines going north or west bound.

@Captain Freedom, the Enterprise was meant to be run as a limited stopping service serving Dundalk, Newry and Portadown into Great Victoria Street station, it being fitted with servicing points for the trains, 90 minutes being allowed for the trip. However the parish pumps got going and ensured that Drogheda and Lisburn were added, the spare carriages being added to the 3 consists to ensure capacity was there. From here, the sets became both too heavy and too stop start to allow for the 201 class engine to now cope with what was already a high revving services and the engine wear quickly found shape as we well know today.

In addition to all of this, GVS was too short to accommodate the new sets so the services had to be diverted to Central, adding 7 minutes to the trip as well as 3 minutes per stop and 3-5 minutes for acceleration and braking at the additional stations. It's also interesting to note that Irish Rail and NIR were adamant that GVS was unable to cope with the new set up, the NI politico were informed of this and yet they insisted on the changes, which were for the worse.

but at the moment the bellfast train does run onto the branch? also trains have to cross by the end of 3 to get into 2 thus if theirs a long train on 3 it can't cross? if a long train is on 2 a train can't use 1? or is it the case that just a simple upgrade to the signalling could allow such movements?

• Advertisement

2 and 3 are the only platforms that share a common exit point while still in the station limits, the others merge well outside so it's not a problem.

208-1.jpg
    In this photo from 1997 you can see the train in platform 2 is really pushing it while leaving 3 clear. I don't think this would be allowed today. But that was when the Enterprise had up to 10-12 Mk2s in a formation.

P1090950-L.jpg
    In this pic you can see where the Enterprise comes to today with a standard length set. Add in the EGV and you can see some issues may come up.

Advertisement