Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,001 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Room 237
    room%20237%20nyff%201-thumb-250x374.jpg
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/?ref_=sr_1

Documentary about the possible hidden meanings and symbolism in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.

Outstanding exploration of the psychological masterpiece by Kubrick. The level of detail is impressive in interpretation of the movie, sometimes running scenes frame by frame to aid the viewer in spotting what the various narrators are pointing out and their thoughts on how these visual clues tie in with Kubrick's life and intelligence, the world we live and links to history.

One particular part of the documentary has a running commentary of the the actual film being played forwards from the beginning and in reverse from the end overlaid on each other. It really is quite startling the way many of the scenes and imagery match up in a quite sinister and almost choreographed manner. Worth seeing the documentary just for this section alone.

Also the documentary points out many continuity errors in the film, some of which I have spotted myself, and suggests that they may be deliberate and have very poignant hidden meanings. There is so much to pick apart and analyze in the film that it is difficult to imagine that Kubrick's film doesn't have multiple narratives and messages. It uses footage from several of his other films to enhance the validity of the documentary makers claims.

I'm itching to The Shining again after seeing this. One reviewer said of the documentary "Ascher's film is catnip for Kubrickians and critics both professional and otherwise." It's hard to know if the narrators are just obsessed with the film as some of their ideas are a bit loopy, but I couldn't help but be fascinated by it and it's creepy tone and pace that mirrors the format of the original movie really adds to the whole experience.

So far the best documentary I have seen this year. A must for a fan of The Shining.

9/10

After my last spoiler mistake, this entire post is going to be one...
    'Room 237' is certainly a fascinating documentary, but fascinating in its documentation of the bizarre things that some people will read into anything. While there is definite reason to believe that Kubrick was messing with people’s heads in the film, there is absolutely nothing to support some of the outlandish guff that is mentioned.

Nonsense about the film being an allegory for the genocide of the Native American Indian is so ridiculously off the wall, that it's hard not to cock an eyebrow at. Worse still is the gibberish one guy spouts about the holocaust. But the absolute nadir is the fool waffling on about fake moon landing footage and Kubrick's involvement with a NASA cover-up.

Also, the "backwards and forwards" thing that is mentioned completely neglects the fact that Kubrick deliberately made a different cut of the film for European audiences. So the idea that he made the film with the intention of meticulously editing it so it could be viewed both in forward and reverse is silly, to say the least.

I have myself noticed certain things about Kubrick's 'The Shining', but more so to do with the hotel itself and how certain structure doesn't to fit and the documentary is at its best when exploring those areas. Items disappearing in certain takes, the layout of the hotel and the reverse hexagonal pattern on the floor when the ball rolls up to Danny when he's playing in the corridor, were things I caught during viewings of the film and these are things which I believe could have been examples of Kubrick's deliberate and subtle way of injecting discomfort into the picture. We know, for instance, that the model of the maze was made differently to the actual maze and that Kubrick had somebody type out "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" on every single page of the manuscript that Nicholson's character was writing, despite the fact that they weren't all going to be seen. The Torrance's room is also way too large for the corridor onto which its door opens out to.

Unfortunately 'Room 237' doesn't actually go into these things too nuch and instead focuses on the aforementioned nonsense and things like hard-ons and other sexual imagery, which is extremely difficult to take seriously, no matter what frame of mind you're in.

While it's an interesting enough documentary, it certainly is not what I was expecting, or hoping for, but fans of the film should probably see it.

The actual makers of the picture haven't endorsed the documentary and with some of the absolute tripe that's talked about in its 102 minutes, I can't say I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

JCVD

I really enjoyed this. Inventive plot structure and playful with the image of Van Damme. A very good meta movie. The opening is nothing short of brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Tony EH wrote: »
    The actual makers of the picture haven't endorsed the documentary and with some of the absolute tripe that's talked about in its 102 minutes, I can't say I'm surprised.

Pretty much agree with this. Room 237 is just a bunch of fanboy brainfarts, (some mildly interesting if undeveloped and others just plain ridiculous. All I say is "penis tray" and "giant mopping the grass"). It reminds me of people looking at a rorschach test but then instead of saying "this is what I see" they unequivocally say "this is what this is". If you can put up with listening to that for 102 minutes then be my guest.

The only useful thing I got out of learning about this doc was finding that Mark Kermode had done a review of it and in that review he mentioned Jon Ronson's doc "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes". I hadn't heard of this before and went to check it out. It was fascinating! I'd recommend people to watch *that* instead and just leave "Room 237" to disappear into obscurity where it belongs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kubrick's_Boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Stone

An interesting film that boasts a cast of Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Mila Jovovich.
    I am not sure what to make of it, I saw it up on Netflix last night, but I suppose a film that leaves you wondering after the credits have rolled is actually quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

roanoke wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with this. Room 237 is just a bunch of fanboy brainfarts, (some mildly interesting if undeveloped and others just plain ridiculous. All I say is "penis tray" and "giant mopping the grass"). It reminds me of people looking at a rorschach test but then instead of saying "this is what I see" they unequivocally say "this is what this is". If you can put up with listening to that for 102 minutes then be my guest.

The only useful thing I got out of learning about this doc was finding that Mark Kermode had done a review of it and in that review he mentioned Jon Ronson's doc "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes". I hadn't heard of this before and went to check it out. It was fascinating! I'd recommend people to watch *that* instead and just leave "Room 237" to disappear into obscurity where it belongs.

I think this guy's analysis is really good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEulbcXkgjo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Stop Making Sense in the Lighthouse. Well that was a different sort of cinema trip! I wouldn't go along to one of their screenings if you intend to calmly admire the cinematography and choreography of Demme's film ;) Lot of fun though.

I was struck once again by how This Must Be The Place is probably one of the greatest songs ever written.

Strangely enough, if Ronson had made 'Room 237', I might be a little more forgiving of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Strangely enough, if Ronson had made 'Room 237', I might be a little more forgiving of it.

I am very interested in seeing this. Just can't find it anywhere. Tried searching around on Google video and Amazon to no avail. Just some sites asking me to install some suspect sounding plugins to play a video...no go.

I heard it's on the Full Metal Jacket Bluray as an extra but I don't have a player :/

I found it eventually. Thanks for the heads up on this one, I had never heard of it before.

What a brilliant short documentary. In a different league to Room 237.

What a treasure trove!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Kill the Irishman

A very well told story about a Irishman's fight against the Italian Mafia in 1970's Cleveland.
    There are a lot of explosions, a lot of killings and some very good acting in this film. Based on a true story, Danny Greene's almost invincible status gained him a lot of notoriety across America, that had devastating consequences for anyone who went up against him.

7/10.

End of Watch

This will go down for me as one of the best films of 2012.
    The acting is so superb, and the camera is so well done it really draws you into the centre of these 2 cops world, who have a very difficult job working in some of the toughest area's of LA.
    By the time this film comes to its climax, you really do care about the 2 main charcters. Watch this if you haven't already.

9/10.

being flynn

It has been a long time since Robert De Niro has taken on a role as deep and conflicted as this.
    De Niro plays a homeless cab driver (A yellow taxi might I add, a nice touch) who paints a very gritty picture of life on the streets, while at the same time, dealing with his very complicated relationship with his estranged son.
    IMO this is De Niro's best role in over a decade.

7.5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the croods

its a very good family movie.funny lighthearted and good for all the kids.it has an incredible amount of colours and imagination wrapped up in the 98 mins.

im not to sure about nic cage in the lead role though.he wasnt great.

good movie.definitely worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

JCVD

I really enjoyed this. Inventive plot structure and playful with the image of Van Damme. A very good meta movie. The opening is nothing short of brilliant.

Agreed, brilliant film I've been trying to convince people to see. The way it's shot, with the gritty film and blown out lights (I don't know what this crap is called, just see the movie) is great. It makes fairly mundane bits look straight out of an action movie. Awesome film.

I haven't watched anything new. Saw Cemetary Man the other night. Odd film, but really enjoyable. The dead come back to life, but it's a regular occurrence and the keeper just deals with it. Then about nineteen different story lines happen. Would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Fatal Deviation" (1998) on YouTube via my Wii. I'm a glutton for punishment and saw it through to the bitter end - all 90 minutes of it!

What can you say about it - a train wreck from beginning to end. Awful acting, were some of the 'actors' dubbed (?), the plot....and what was it with the chief drug baron and his empty house and a fetish for flower arranging...and then there was somebody taking a bath over a bonfire in a quarry. I can only conclude that the movie - estimated cost €8,000 - was done for a bet made after one too many in the pub. After the credits, there's a series of bloopers from the movie - it was just too much as the whole production is one big blooper from start to finish. Having said all that, I would recommend it for a laugh and it has everything to make it a cult classic. I'll be buying the DVD when I can find a copy but it's out of print and nigh on impossible to find. 9/10 for pure cheek. :D

I can't resist posting this review from Amazon which sums up the viewing experience perfectly.

Fatal Deviation is a masterpiece that defies explanation. It was made on a budget of about 40 punts back in 1998 in rural Ireland. It is a martial arts masterpiece that puts the Bruce Lee epics to shame.

One great thing about this film is that it stars Mikey Graham of BoyZone fame as the villain. He is a very talented actor and should have won an Oscar for the the role. I can't understand why top Hollywood directors such as Scorcese aren't headhunting him for leading roles. He would have done a great job of Howard Hughes in The Aviator.

The script is simply superb and rivals Shakespeare in its poetic beauty. Such lines as "What the f**k is this?" and "You killed my Da, now I'm going to kill you!" being particularly well written.

The story is of labyrinthian complexity and demands the highest intellectual calibre. A chap beats up folk who killed his father. Incredible. We see a choice scene were our Hero (Bennet, which he pronounces as Bennay; its french you see) aprehends two troublemakers in the local supermarket and kicks both of them into a pile of tissues.

Fatal Deviation sadly did not sweep the Oscars in 1998 as it deserved to do. I suggest you support the cast by buying a copy, as oddly they don't get many acting jobs. The mysteries of life.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Woman of the Dunes - atmospheric existential tale of a man held captive in a sand pit with only a strange woman to keep him company. Its potential allegorical readings are many, but it's primarily worth experiencing for the completely unique tone of the film, particularly the beautiful cinematography and harrowing soundtrack. There's a sense of hopelessness and ultimately resignation that make this quite the bewitching experience.

"Fatal Deviation" (1998) on YouTube via my Wii. I'm a glutton for punishment and saw it through to the bitter end - all 90 minutes of it!

What can you say about it - a train wreck from beginning to end. Awful acting, were some of the 'actors' dubbed (?), the plot....and what was it with the chief drug baron and his empty house and a fetish for flower arranging...and then there was somebody taking a bath over a bonfire in a quarry. I can only conclude that the movie - estimated cost €8,000 - was done for a bet made after one too many in the pub. After the credits, there's a series of bloopers from the movie - it was just too much as the whole production is one big blooper from start to finish. Having said all that, I would recommend it for a laugh and it has everything to make it a cult classic. I'll be buying the DVD when I can find a copy but it's out of print and nigh on impossible to find. 9/10 for pure cheek. :D

I can't resist posting this review from Amazon which sums up the viewing experience perfectly.

Fatal Deviation is a masterpiece that defies explanation. It was made on a budget of about 40 punts back in 1998 in rural Ireland. It is a martial arts masterpiece that puts the Bruce Lee epics to shame.

One great thing about this film is that it stars Mikey Graham of BoyZone fame as the villain. He is a very talented actor and should have won an Oscar for the the role. I can't understand why top Hollywood directors such as Scorcese aren't headhunting him for leading roles. He would have done a great job of Howard Hughes in The Aviator.

The script is simply superb and rivals Shakespeare in its poetic beauty. Such lines as "What the f**k is this?" and "You killed my Da, now I'm going to kill you!" being particularly well written.

The story is of labyrinthian complexity and demands the highest intellectual calibre. A chap beats up folk who killed his father. Incredible. We see a choice scene were our Hero (Bennet, which he pronounces as Bennay; its french you see) aprehends two troublemakers in the local supermarket and kicks both of them into a pile of tissues.

Fatal Deviation sadly did not sweep the Oscars in 1998 as it deserved to do. I suggest you support the cast by buying a copy, as oddly they don't get many acting jobs. The mysteries of life.......

Ah crap...I'm going to have to watch this now.

Woman of the Dunes - atmospheric existential tale of a man held captive in a sand pit with only a strange woman to keep him company. Its potential allegorical readings are many, but it's primarily worth experiencing for the completely unique tone of the film, particularly the beautiful cinematography and harrowing soundtrack. There's a sense of hopelessness and ultimately resignation that make this quite the bewitching experience.

One of the greatest Japanese films I've ever seen and yet, I've only seen it once!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah crap...I'm going to have to watch this now.

It truly is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Watched 'The Paperboy' last night. Lee Daniels' follow up to his Oscar nominated film 'Precious'.

Starring Nicole Kidman, Matthew Maconnaughey, Zac Efron and John Cusack, it's supposedly a film noir set in the deep south of Florida, but it comes off more as a tasteless pot boiler that never actually boils. Think John Waters does 'In Cold Blood'.

The plot veers between troubled reporter Maconnaughey investigating the suspected wrongful imprisonment of John Cusack's character, a character so devoid of any humanity, you wonder why he wishes to help him at all.
    This plot is interspersed with Zac Efron's character having lustful daydreams about Nicole Kidman's character, a promiscuous, white trash Barbie look-a-like who spends her days writing to violent prisoners and who has fallen for Cusack after corresponding with him via sexually explicit letters.
    There's also another pointless sub-plot involving racial tensions and family secrets, but by the time you get to the WTF ending, you've ceased caring about any of the plots or characters.

A waste of time for some truly talented actors, who deserve better material than this. Cusack Is pretty terrifying, though.

4 out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Can't believe I only ever got around to seeing this masterpiece tonight! Jet-black satirical comedy at its very finest! Peter Sellers is inspired in his 3 roles, George C. Scott is marvellous as the ranting, raving, good ol' American boy general and Slim Pickens of course steals the whole film (arguably for "that" one scene).

This was made back in the days when the Americans and the Soviets were going at it and the threat of M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) by the way of a nuclear war was very, very real. One little rumble in the Middle East, South-East Asia or Latin America and both Superpowers could have levelled the entire planet.

Since that threat has now dissipated and the world no longer fears the Russians as the big bad guy, the film has dated a bit. But that doesn't take away from the manic fun of the whole affair. You've the lunatics who were Joe McCarthy's wet-dream, the ones trying to be sane and hold the thing together, the soldiers following their crazy orders and the Soviet ambassador who seems happy enough in the United States.

A cracking film and of course one of the most parodied and oft-quoted films of all time. Don't be an eejit like me and wait years to see it; watch it. Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

DazMarz wrote: »
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Can't believe I only ever got around to seeing this masterpiece tonight! Jet-black satirical comedy at its very finest! Peter Sellers is inspired in his 3 roles, George C. Scott is marvellous as the ranting, raving, good ol' American boy general and Slim Pickens of course steals the whole film (arguably for "that" one scene).

This was made back in the days when the Americans and the Soviets were going at it and the threat of M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) by the way of a nuclear war was very, very real. One little rumble in the Middle East, South-East Asia or Latin America and both Superpowers could have levelled the entire planet.

Since that threat has now dissipated and the world no longer fears the Russians as the big bad guy, the film has dated a bit. But that doesn't take away from the manic fun of the whole affair. You've the lunatics who were Joe McCarthy's wet-dream, the ones trying to be sane and hold the thing together, the soldiers following their crazy orders and the Soviet ambassador who seems happy enough in the United States.

A cracking film and of course one of the most parodied and oft-quoted films of all time. Don't be an eejit like me and wait years to see it; watch it. Now.
    You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Kids Are All Right. Dramedy (?) about what happens when the teenage kids of a lesbian couple (Annete Bening and Julianne Moore) contact their biological father (the sperm donor): complications ensue. I thought it was OK, but dragged down by the length. I like Annette Bening, but this isn't her best work compared to (say) American Beauty. Both Bening and Moore were outshone by Mia Wasikowska as a very sensible teenager - keeping her head until she snaps and reads her Moms the Riot Act (in a manner of speaking).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw Room 237 and while some aspects were interesting to entertain (the layout of the building, the idea of running the film backwards and forwards at the same) ultimately it was a load of hair-brained, throwaway tosh. The horn at the table during the handshake, the moon-landing theory, the genocide of the native Americans, really propelled it into fantasy. You get that it's people interpretations of what they saw in the movie but their interpretations were just really silly.

Kubrick's Boxes, however, was really enjoyable. Hell, I'd love to get me mitts on those boxes and go through them, even if they're mostly banal pictures / notes for research. Something quite odd yet haunting about all of these neatly packed and organised boxes related to major films that were just sitting in rooms and sheds at his gaff for decades.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 moon_man

bnt wrote: »
    The Kids Are All Right. Dramedy (?) about what happens when the teenage kids of a lesbian couple (Annete Bening and Julianne Moore) contact their biological father (the sperm donor): complications ensue. I thought it was OK, but dragged down by the length. I like Annette Bening, but this isn't her best work compared to (say) American Beauty. Both Bening and Moore were outshone by Mia Wasikowska as a very sensible teenager - keeping her head until she snaps and reads her Moms the Riot Act (in a manner of speaking).

has a 90% aprooval rating at rotten tomatoes so i was expecting it to be really good

was decidedly average at best , i can see how liberals loved it however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Saw Room 237 and while some aspects were interesting to entertain (the layout of the building, the idea of running the film backwards and forwards at the same) ultimately it was a load of hair-brained, throwaway tosh. The horn at the table during the handshake, the moon-landing theory, the genocide of the native Americans, really propelled it into fantasy. You get that it's people interpretations of what they saw in the movie but their interpretations were just really silly.

Kubrick's Boxes, however, was really enjoyable. Hell, I'd love to get me mitts on those boxes and go through them, even if they're mostly banal pictures / notes for research. Something quite odd yet haunting about all of these neatly packed and organised boxes related to major films that were just sitting in rooms and sheds at his gaff for decades.

I watched something called the "Shining Code" on Youtube after watching both of the other films. If you thought some of the Apollo 11 stuff was off the wall this one is full on tinfoil hat. The guy finds the number 11 in just about every scene of the film, the funniest being every single banister on ever stair when taken as a pair is eleven!!!!!oneoneONEe111!!eleventy!

It was almost as bad as that 9/11 Loose Change "documentary".

Saying all that though I do think Room 237 is well worth watching, it just adds a whole load more weirdness to a weird and unsettling film.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bnt wrote: »

I remember her being billed as "the next big thing" when this first came out. Hasn't really happened for her. Well, anything I've seen her in I've thought she was terrible. Haven't seen Stoker yet but I've heard it's great. Maybe she just made some bad choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Day of the Dead (1985)

Scientists and military are holed up in a bunker trying to figure out some solution to the zombie apocalypse in the world above them or at least find a way to save their own skin. Well, the scientists are working on it. The military component, originally assigned to protect them, are finding their sense of duty increasingly strained as the film opens.

A good film. The zombies really put something like the Walking Dead in perspective. In DotD, the zombies have actual personality and more than a little black humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Men in Black 3" (2012) watched it on DVD tonight with my 10 year old. Don't which of us enjoyed it more - his third time and my first. Some great lines in it
    especially the one when Agent K lands on the window of Apollo 11 minutes before lift off, and the astronauts pretend they haven't seen anything as the countdown would be aborted.
    The character of Griffin, an alien who can see multiple possible futures, is very good as well as an intriguing idea. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Duggy747 wrote: »

yeah stopped watching after paper tray penis erection god help me it was rubbish but did watch Kubrick's Boxes, would love to see some more of Vivian's film on the set of Full Metal Jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I remember her being billed as "the next big thing" when this first came out. Hasn't really happened for her. Well, anything I've seen her in I've thought she was terrible. Haven't seen Stoker yet but I've heard it's great. Maybe she just made some bad choices.

When she's given great material (Stoker,Jane Eyre, Kids are alright) She's a very good actress but she's done a few roles (Lawless,Albert Nobbs) in fine films but her roles seem to be underwritten. She's a decent young actress who's been overhyped. Not her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've only seen Mia in a couple of films, including Alice in Wonderland, and I think she has potential for a great career in the movies. It was the same with Saoirse Ronan - the hype comes from the media, but neither is on track to be the next Lindsay Lohan ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Perks of being a Wallflower
    A real teenager's film but surprisingly good, some great scenes in it.
    http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt1659337/

Casino
    I might be going to Vegas later on this year so this got me in the mood
    A classic - love it, maybe even better then Goodfellas.
    http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0112641/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement