Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoology Pictures from the Internet

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:03pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be nice to have a dedicated general thread for any good animal photography people come across online. Might sticky it if it proves popular. Be sure to stick a link to the original source in any posts too.

Mod Edit: I have made a thread for pictures taken by ourselves here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788847

Was flicking through the guardian's week in wildlife when I came across this one of 2 Gorilla brothers being re-united after 2 years apart. Was particularly struck by the apparent joy being displayed by them:

DaIJF.jpg

I like this one of the Panamian Golden Frog (Atelopus zeteki) too, so striking with the dark background:

mth3s.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

"Apparent joy"? Man, I don´t think there's any other way to call it :D

Great idea for a thread BTW. I have tons of interesting animal photos I've been downloading for a while, but the problem is, since they're in my drive I have lost the original links/references to many of them. Think there would be a big problem if I uploaded them anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Those gorillas were both born in Dublin zoo!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Adam Khor wrote: »
    "Apparent joy"? Man, I don´t think there's any other way to call it :D

Great idea for a thread BTW. I have tons of interesting animal photos I've been downloading for a while, but the problem is, since they're in my drive I have lost the original links/references to many of them. Think there would be a big problem if I uploaded them anyways?

Don't think it will be a big deal, post away :)
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Those gorillas were both born in Dublin zoo!

Aw, no way! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Fair enough :D

217843.jpg

217844.jpg

217845.jpg

217847.JPG

An unusual one:

217846.JPG

Here's another bunch!

217848.jpg

217849.jpg

217850.jpg

217851.jpg

217852.jpg

• Advertisement

Not a particularly good pic (camera trap photo actually) but very unusual subject (oddly patterned leopard):

217979.jpg

King cobra vs Reticulated Python

217980.jpg

Cougar chasing mountain goats

217981.jpg

Hawk vs owl:

217982.jpg

217984.jpg

C´mon peoples, I want to see your pics too :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Not a particularly good pic (camera trap photo actually) but very unusual subject (oddly patterned leopard):

Looks like it might be something similar to the genetic condition that gives rise to 'king' cheetahs?

Looks like it might be something similar to the genetic condition that gives rise to 'king' cheetahs?

Yeah, very likely... It was photographed in India I believe which makes me think about the old cases of supossed tiger/leopard hybrids. I can imagine such an unusual specimen being mistaken for such a hybrid once in a while.

Unfortunatly not a pic of a whole animal. Rather an award winning picture of a ranger holding the tusks of a poached ele.

Ranger-Holding-Tusks-of-Killed-Elephant_fg700wider.jpg

Great photo :O

• Advertisement

Great photo :O

Its a very poignant photo and probrably a bit depressing aswell. Sorry for bringing the mood down but I love pics like these. They convey more than a picture of an elephant alone could.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Its a very poignant photo and probrably a bit depressing aswell. Sorry for bringing the mood down but I love pics like these. They convey more than a picture of an elephant alone could.

It is kinda dark and depressing but hey, there's two sides to life...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

love that one with the tusks.

Ee7Kz.jpg

rqN0m.jpg

I also love this National Geographic pic.

[QUOTEDoyok, a rehabilitated orangutan, occassionally returns to Borneo's Tanjung Puting National Park to snack on bananas and milk. [/QUOTE]

0912-orangutan-hangs-on-borneo-park-bench-670.jpg

That's a fantastic photo. Reminds me of the old men sitting in the park benches just seeing life go by.

218103.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this hippo (surfing in the sea) was from a Nat Geo article series about Michael Fay crossing Gabon's jungles on foot:

218104.jpg

218105.jpg

218106.jpg

218107.jpg

Saw this Snowy Owl pic on facebook:

tdKPs.png

I don't think he's going to get away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

tumblr_m76h430lKT1r4t9h1o1_400.jpg

Found this pic online of a leucistic Great Grey Owl

jane-goodall-was-babe-and-one-historys-greatest-conservationists.w654.jpg

A young (and hot) Jane Goodal interacts with Greybeard. Greybeard was on of the first chimps who made contact with Jane.

Tigers, on the other hand, are dolphin-people.

tiger-dolphin-3_1488058a.jpg

tumblr_m63ilozggx1qa9omho1_500.jpg

a.aaa-Tiger-and-Dolphins.jpg

• Advertisement

I would probably die of fright if I was diving and a whale appeared XD Gimme sharks anyday!

148456-amazing-whale-pictures.jpg

manwhalegreeting.jpg

alaska-whale-by-dailymaildotcodotuk.jpg

Amazing-Whale-Shark.jpg

This one was in Nat Geo; the whale and dolphin are supossedly playing:

132124.jpg

Very rare pigmy right whale photo:

13-Amazing-Facts-About-Whales-5.jpg

There's a poor pelican caught in the whale's mouth!

amazing-whale-photos-shot-off-central-calif-coast_l.png

The-whale-shark-madness-in-Oslob.jpg

Needs a caption this one, or a musical accompaniment:

lincel.jpg

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Needs a caption this one, or a musical accompaniment:

lincel.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnWSqrW7a8RhghPPYQGSULJpZscgFNQc82R0LJf6uAoyMvilrc <- He totally stole my moves!!

This one's a stunner

J3s6Dl.jpg

wolf-bear_1749454i.jpg

5421559609_280f337d6c.jpg

sm_20100821_Wolf_and_Brown_Bear_0001.jpg

bear-and-wolf-2011-hallo.jpg

Lion_01_1415759a.jpg

30011_429879592124_8304672_n.jpg
    lion-vs-hyena.jpg?w=450&h=300

973836266_c62cdc862a.jpg

shark4_1439990c.jpg

lemon-shark-facts.jpg

lemon-shark-facts1.jpg

lemon_shark2.jpg

lemon-shark11.jpg

tumblr_l64grmjBul1qai16qo1_500.jpg

Love the one where it looks like the wolf and bear are buddies.

Watusi sheltering from the rain:

4.jpg

Arctic Fox:

z6r2Ll.jpg

Pyrrhocorax graculus (Bergdohle) or also known as the Alpine Chough I think:

37-03401841.jpg?w=735

Smug looking Lion:

FrV6Zl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Some of those photos with he sharks head half out of the water are unbelievable :)

These are not nice, actually rather gruesome but quite interesting. Apparently, the cougar and the bighorn sheep were struggling and they both fell down the cliff and into their deaths.

55554d1244238697-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn1.jpg

55555d1244238708-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn2.jpg

55556d1244238724-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn3.jpg

55557d1244238743-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn4.jpg

55558d1244238754-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn5.jpg
    55559d1244238769-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn6.jpg
    55561d1244238778-cougar-vs-bighorn-sheep-vs-gravity-mountainlionvsbighorn7.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=781&stc=1&d=1243375331

I had already heard of a similar case, only that time the whole thing was witnessed by people, who had to put the sheep down as it had broken legs- the cougar lived, tho.

• Advertisement

That is haunting Adam, thanks.

Advertisement