Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy First, Sci-Fi Second

Options
  • 19-08-2012 8:33pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Watching S8, Only The Good really confirmed this for me, that Red Dwarf uses sci-Fi more as a frame-work for sitcom. Sure there's some very heavy sci-fi in it but in general they just lay down the premise (eg a mirror universe, things are opposite) and use that as the basis for gags; which doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. There's definitely a vibe of "just go with it" and tbh I quite like it, I'm into RD for the comedy and characters first and foremost.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah any basis for the science behind the show is fairly non existent. As you said, it sets the backdrop - take it or leave it, & then gets on with the comedy {well it used to :p}

Part of the innocent charm of the show, it doesn't take itself too seriously & also why I love it so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Part of the comedy is in the characters trying to explain the scifi, it may not fit one or the other but combined it's an odd combination that just works.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just an update on this, I was watching the Doug interview on the S2 DVD extras and he states red dwarf is a comedy (and continuity wouldn't be a problem, as long as you're making people laugh) :)

It's interesting to hear people come at it from a sci-Fi end but this really isn't the show to stand up to sci-Fi scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Broadcast on all known frequencies and in all known languages; including Welsh."

It's a comedy first, and a sci-fi second. But the sci-fi is the framework of the show, where a lot of the humour and interesting stories come from. Red Dwarf without the sci-fi would be like The Good Life being set in the middle of the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

My favourite Dwarf episode is when spiteful Rimmer 'morphs' or changes into an anally retentive, politically correct activist, wearing a tee-shirt 'Give quiche a chance'. He had an acronym for the word clitoris and he suggested a leaflet campaign to defeat the vicious creature they were be threatned by.

• Advertisement

My favourite Dwarf episode is when spiteful Rimmer 'morphs' or changes into an anally retentive, politically correct activist, wearing a tee-shirt 'Give quiche a chance'. He had an acronym for the word clitoris and he suggested a leaflet campaign to defeat the vicious creature they were be threatned by.

Polymorph. The Lister/Kryten vacuum cleaner scene almost killed me the first time I seen it :pac:

I think there was two 'morph' episodes in two different series.
    But to upgrade a warning you have to change the lightbulb.
    Arnold Rimmer always struck me as a quintesentially British charachter in the mould of something from the days of empire, or just a generally incompetent and ignorant authority figure. George Orwell's early career as a British/Burmeese policeman, he may well have encountered such figures.
    Also I had a book written by Grant/Naylor, a comedic take on the begging's of the Universe. I was so looking forward to reading it, but alas I lost it on the subaway in Seoul! Damm
    Does anyone know the name of the book Naylor/Grant,Grant or Naylor wrote?

I think there was two 'morph' episodes in two different series.

Yep, Polymorph was the first one you were talking about. Then in season 6 there was "Emohawk - Polymorph II"

Enter Now:
    You have no knowledge of the book that was written by them?

Enter Now:
    You have no knowledge of the book that was written by them?

Nope, not familiar with anything from them except the Red Dwarf books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Does anyone know the name of the book Naylor/Grant,Grant or Naylor wrote?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Naylor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Grant

One or the other should mention it. I don't recall that one though.

Advertisement