Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Game Series of All Time

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No fallout or elderscrolls :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hmm, I've noticed a distinct lack of PC based titles. OP, did you by any chance ever try PC gaming? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Army Men series makes a convincing argument to be labelled the greatest, and I mean objectively rather than subjectively. Basically the Battleship Potemkin of video gaming, its vivid realisation of warfare has consistently reflected the horrors and atrocities of war through accessible metaphorical storylines, while making experimental leaps that further the medium in profound, enlightening ways. It is a series that has single-handedly been responsible for establishing gaming's visual langauge, and has constantly negotiated the nature of the relationship between player and designer. Its inspired, groundbeaking transition into three-dimensions - a mere year after its isometric debut - is equivalent to the addition of sound to motion pictures: a move that instantly transformed the medium, opening up a plethora of opportunities that game developers are still struggling to get to grips with.

It's rare that a game series can still hold so much appeal after twenty-four distinctive, invigorating entries - Air Attack 2 remains one of the most astonishing artistic achievements in humanity's history, while I don't think I can say anything about the transcendent Major Malfunction that has not been said already - but Army Men has consistently proven to be a pioneering entry that has irrevocably shaped interactivity as we know it.

/thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Army Men series makes a convincing argument to be labelled the greatest, and I mean objectively rather than subjectively. Basically the Battleship Potemkin of video gaming, its vivid realisation of warfare has consistently reflected the horrors and atrocities of war through accessible metaphorical storylines, while making experimental leaps that further the medium in profound, enlightening ways. It is a series that has single-handedly been responsible for establishing gaming's visual langauge, and has constantly negotiated the nature of the relationship between player and designer. Its inspired, groundbeaking transition into three-dimensions - a mere year after its isometric debut - is equivalent to the addition of sound to motion pictures: a move that instantly transformed the medium, opening up a plethora of opportunities that game developers are still struggling to get to grips with.

It's rare that a game series can still hold so much appeal after twenty-four distinctive, invigorating entries - Air Attack 2 remains one of the most astonishing artistic achievements in humanity's history, while I don't think I can say anything about the transcendent Major Malfunction that has not been said already - but Army Men has consistently proven to be a pioneering entry that has irrevocably shaped interactivity as we know it.

Meh. It insists upon itself.

Advertisement