Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert results vs. Junior Cert results

Options
  • 18-08-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I am interested about the correlation between Leaving Cert results and Junior Cert results ?
    Is there anybody here that say got 8 A's or more in their Junior Cert and have done poorly in their Leaving Cert .

Is there anybody that got hardly no A in their Junior Cert and who have gotten over 550 points ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Well I don't remember my exact results. I know I failed maths, got a d, a lot of C's, some B's and two A's in CSPE and religion.

Came out of the LC with 430 points, much better than I expected so yeah, definite improvement for me anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

5 as junior . 580 LC !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

JC: 8 As and a B (all higher bar CSPE)
    LC: 5 A1s and a B3 (higher), B1 and B2 (OL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Junior Cert: 7 As and 4 Bs (all higher bar the A in common level CSPE).
    1st Leaving Cert: B1, B2, B2, B3, C2, D2 and a B1 at OL. (I kept up 3 of the subjects I had gotten Bs in in the Junior Cert rather than going for the ones I'd done better in...)
    2nd Leaving Cert: A1, A2, B2, B2, B2, B3.

Stupid Junior Cert. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

4 As (Including CSPE :P), 1 C and like 6 Bs in Junior

5 A1s, 2 A2s, 1 B1 at honours and an A2 in pass Irish for LC.

So a pretty massive improvement! Mostly because my Junior Cert A subjects (Maths, Business, Science) spawned off into As in Maths, App Maths, Physics, Business, Accounting and Economics!

This was a few years ago btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Junior Cert: 11 A's 1 B (All higher bar CSPE)
    Leaving: 7 A1's 1 A2 (All higher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

6 Bs, 3 Cs and a D at Junior Cert, all Honours bar CSPE. :P
    One B2, (Ord. Level) three B3s, two C1s all Honours, and a C3 Ord. in Maths.

Kind of around the same for me tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Junior Cert:

4 A's- Irish, English, Religion, CSPE
    6 B's- History, French, Business, Home-Economics, Science
    2 C's- Maths, Geography

Leaving Cert:

3 A1's- Irish, English, Maths
    1 A2- Economics
    3 B1's- Geography, Business, Music
    1 B2- French

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Junior Cert: 7 A's and 3 B's

Leaving Cert: 3 A1's, 2 A2's, 1 B2 and a B1 in OL Maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are completely different exams, marked in very different ways. It's like basing how you would do in a marathon on how you did in the school egg and spoon race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

spurious wrote: »
    They are completely different exams, marked in very different ways. It's like basing how you would do in a marathon on how you did in the school egg and spoon race.
    The JC is the marathon? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

Junior Cert; 8B's, 2C's, 1D.

Leaving Cert: 3A2's, 2B1's, 1B1 giving a grand total of 520.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

spurious wrote: »

Despite that I think we can all agree there is a strong correlation

Jc: 5A 5B

Lc: 5a1 a2 c2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Despite that I think we can all agree there is a strong correlation

Jc: 5A 5B

Lc: 5a1 a2 c2

Not really, look at the percentages get A or B grades at Junior and then look at the percentages get them at Leaving.

Obviously the very top students may well get A in JC and then again LC, but some very mediocre students can get A in JC, which they erroneously think means they will get an A at LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

Myself , Junior Cert :10 a's 1 C in geography
    Leaving Cert a1 ,a2 , a2 , b1 , b2 , b3
    God , how have I let myself slip so much . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Inter
    A - 1
    B - 3
    C - 2

Leaving (all higher level)
    A - 2
    B - 2
    C - 2

So yes - improving on the Junior / Inter Cert can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

junior- 9 A, 1 B
    leaving- 585 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

JC- 4A, 5B, 2C, 1D,

LC- 465 Points (B's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Junior: 3 A's, 6 B's, 1 C

Leaving: 3 A1's, 3 A2's, 1 C1 (575pts)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Junior Cert: 2 A's, 6 B's, 2 C's

Leaving Cert: 2 A2's, 2 B1's, 2 B2's (535 points)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

JC - three A, four B, two C all higher
    LC - three A2, B1, B3 and a C1 all higher (525)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

JC - 3 As, 6 Bs, 1 C (all higher, except CSPE :P)
    LC - 1 A, 6 Bs, and a distinction in LCVP ..

I guess they are kinda similar, although the JC results were obviously much easier to obtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ciaranmor

Junior Cert: 1 A (in CSPE), 8 Bs and 2 Cs

Leaving Cert: 3 A2s (English, Geog, Business), 2 B1s (Accounting, pass Irish), B3 in pass French, 2 C1s in Economics and honours Maths.

So overall a good improvement in most subjects

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Junior Cert: 0 As (I know, not even CSPE, shameful), 9 Bs and 2 Cs (Science/Music), all HL
    Leaving Cert: 4 As in Irish, French, English and geography; Bs in history and business; C in maths, all HL.
    I learned how to study properly in the meantime though... :L

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

Patchy , what exactly do you mean in saying that you have learned to study properly .
    I am just really interested in your method of studying.
    I really feel that my method of studying is what made me do bad in the Leaving Cert .
    I would really like to improve my method of studying for University .
    Reply greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

sheeba7 wrote: »
    Patchy , what exactly do you mean in saying that you have learned to study properly .
    I am just really interested in your method of studying.
    I really feel that my method of studying is what made me do bad in the Leaving Cert .
    I would really like to improve my method of studying for University .
    Reply greatly appreciated.
    Well the main thing was at JC I just did my homework and little more. To study I just read my books over and over. I did that for LC Business and knew it was an awful method but that was my teacher's doing, with the time wasted in class doing that I had little time to do exam papers at home and ended up with a B3, which isn't bad but it was my lowest grade.

Geography would probably be a good example of where I studied properly. I did the exam questions a lot, wrote them out til I had 30/30 and 15+ clear points, I used the syllabus too (very important, but I don't know if colleges go on a syllabus really?). Then I shortened my notes down into letters or words so I could have things like one sentence for an entire 30 mark geography answer and then I could expand on it - it's for those awkward subjects where you know you know the material, but you might not remember to write every tiny detail and you can check your letters/word to make sure you're not forgetting anything. :) It's much more efficient, and I ended up with an A2 in geography, and I assume I only missed the A1 because I didn't do well in the last section because it was too hard to study it that way and I got lazy. :P
    The main thing was consistency and being sure I knew everything I could be asked to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

Junior Cert - ABBBBBBCCCC

Leaving Cert - A1A1A1A2B1B1B2B2 (580)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hellogood2012

JC: 3 A's: English, Science, Maths
    : 7 B's: Irish, Spanish, French, Geography, History, Business, CSPE

LC: 3 A1's: English, History, Economics
    : 2 A2's: Physics, Spanish
    : 2 B1's: Maths (H), Irish (O)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There isn't really a correlation. It can go either way. A student who didn't do well on their Junior Cert can pick up for their Leaving Cert. Likewise, someone who did well on their JC may not do well in their LC. There is a serious jump in level from JC Maths to LC Maths, likewise with subjects like Irish and the Sciences. It has more to do with student effort and general aptitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I know people who took more higher level subjects for the LC than the JC :P

Advertisement