Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best video game of all time.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Warren Spector owns some of the rights, EA own some of the rights and some insurance company owns the rest of the rights to System Shock. It's a legal cluster**** so don't hold your breath. I'm pretty sure GoG have been trying to sort out the rights to get the game released but it looks like it's not happening any time soon if ever. In a case were the game isn't made freely available and there's no way to pay the original creators for their work... well I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

noodler wrote: »
    Well, P3 and P4 are good but they aren't patch on FF7, 9 or 10 in my book.

The scope is just so much smaller, so much more childish and some stuff gets lost in translation (not that that never happens in FF games).

The combat is decent and the boss fights are very intense but the grinding is a poor excuse for filler imo.

*eyetwitch*

One deals with a legitimately scary serial killer.
    The other has a plot written by a 10yo with ADHD.

I'll let you decide which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Is there any chance of System Shock 2 coming to Steam. It's nearly £50 on Amazon.

Ha! THat's ridiculous. Even after all my ranting I really have a strong urge to play through System SHock 2 again now.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only thing stopping me from buying it from Amazon, aside from poverty is the fact that there'd be compatibility issues with Windows 7. Shame. It looks like a really interesting game and I quite liked Bioshock.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

It has to be Deus Ex (the original, not Human Revolution, for those not familiar)

It is, hands down, the greatest, most immersive, interesting, and absorbing gaming experience I've ever encountered. The plot is long and varied, with tons of choices on how to approach and do things.
    The writers for this game should be given massive credit, because they created dialogue for you doing virtually anything. I mean the stuff some of the characters comment on you doing is absolutely insane, things you wouldn't even think of, that you'd just stumble on by chance.
    Couple this with good level design and a totally cool and fitting soundtrack and you have an immense result.

I've replayed it multiple times, and I honestly don't think I could ever get tired of it.

I could go on and on about this game. It really is, in my opinion anyway, the perfect game.

And I'm delighted to see the amount of times it's popped up in this thread all ready

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I tried to play Deus Ex a few years back but couldn't get over how dated it looked/felt. I didn't have the spare time to dedicate to it so it fell by the way side. I know I need to give it another shot. Convince me to try it again but bear in mind I will not give it concessions just because its old. I think good games have to stand on their own two feet regardless of when they were released.

This mod may make the gfx more bearable http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

Grimebox wrote: »
    I tried to play Deus Ex a few years back but couldn't get over how dated it looked/felt. I didn't have the spare time to dedicate to it so it fell by the way side. I know I need to give it another shot. Convince me to try it again but bear in mind I will not give it concessions just because its old. I think good games have to stand on their own two feet regardless of when they were released.

This mod may make the gfx more bearable http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

It's definitely worth playing. I mean the old graphics don't bother me one bit. It is a phenomenal game regardless of how it looks. I've never actually downloaded any of the graphics mods, still love it.

The atmosphere of it holds up regardless. Like you said, it should stand up regardless of when it's released, so the graphics don't matter. Obviously they'll be the thing to suffer as it ages. Doesn't make it any less of a game.

If you play it and don't like it then you must have poor taste in games :P (Joke obviously. I just see it as a masterpiece)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deus Ex looked terrible on release. What makes the game good definitely isn't the graphics. A lot of peoples mistake when they play Deus Ex first is they expect a first person shooter and then get annoyed at the way the cursor works and how weak they are at the start of the game. Deus Ex is an RPG and you've got to work hard to build your character. However this is the most rewarding part of the game. Just like System Shock 2 the way you build your character completely alters how you play the game and how it plays out, except in the case of Deus Ex yo have even more options open to you on how you approach each objective.There's so many ways the game can play out that you will still be find new ones after a couple of playthroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have a "non-gamer" friend who's gotten completely addicted to only 3 games in his life:

Deus Ex, Microsoft Flight Simulator & Grand Theft Auto 3.

I would introduce the games to him, come back a week later and find he'd played at least 4hrs/day, and further ahead than myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Deus Ex looked terrible on release. What makes the game good definitely isn't the graphics. A lot of peoples mistake when they play Deus Ex first is they expect a first person shooter and then get annoyed at the way the cursor works and how weak they are at the start of the game. Deus Ex is an RPG and you've got to work hard to build your character. However this is the most rewarding part of the game. Just like System Shock 2 the way you build your character completely alters how you play the game and how it plays out, except in the case of Deus Ex yo have even more options open to you on how you approach each objective.There's so many ways the game can play out that you will still be find new ones after a couple of playthroughs.

At the time I was playing a ton of CS and this is exactly how I felt when I first gave it a shot! I couldn't bunny hop or hit anything!

Graphics shouldn't mean a lot to a game but I think this was released around the time when 3D games looked like ****. If the game is story driven, poor graphics ruins the immersion for me to an extent. It didn't matter so much in other genres as immersion isn't so pivotal to the overall experience

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only small issue I have with Deus Ex is that the endings are determined on the last hour as opposed to the whole thing, which always seem a bit strange given the care that went into player agency elsewhere. But it's still brilliant. Utterly, compellingly brilliant. Dated graphics are no excuse in this case - it's a masterpiece.

The only small issue I have with Deus Ex is that the endings are determined on the last hour as opposed to the whole thing, which always seem a bit strange given the care that went into player agency elsewhere.

In a way I like that, because you're not really trying to balance what happens further on in the game.

I think of it as a very 'pure' RPG, because you don't really get much of a reward for any one choice. In Fallout/Skyrim etc there's the whole Karma and Infamy etc, which could influence your choices.
    The decisions in Deus Ex always felt more personal or something I thought. Much more what you feel is the best thing, rather than item/experience based.
    And because the ending is isolated as you say (most of the choices are I suppose) it means it kinda just encourages you to choose what is the best thing for that one moment

I love this game far too much :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The only small issue I have with Deus Ex is that the endings are determined on the last hour as opposed to the whole thing,

*Cough* Mass Effect 3 *Cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's all subjective though ,

Do I rate the game that took up most of my time and gave me experiences in competition and meeting others like none had ever done , MOHAA

The game i never stop coming back to TF2

The game that is pure enjoyment with friends Rockband

Or do you go down the critical route ?

I like Deus Ex, and FF7 and so many others.
    I can't really pick 1 as my favourite. Each were my favourite at a point in time.
    But I can look back on each as brilliant in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    It has to be Deus Ex (the original, not Human Revolution, for those not familiar)

It is, hands down, the greatest, most immersive, interesting, and absorbing gaming experience I've ever encountered.

I agree. It's over 10 years since I first played it on the PC. Nothing has come close to it since. There was so many twists in it you just couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. It would have made a good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd have Vice City and San Andreas, even GTA3 ahead of GTA4.

And no Sensible World of Soccer? No Pro Evo 6? :eek:

It's been 15 years since I played any Mario platform game, but I remember thinking Super Mario World was the best one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Voted for Fallout 3. Such a vast variety of weaponary and, on PC at least, endless hours of gameplay thanks to the modding community. Haven't played New Vegas yet but it's on my to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Dunno about best ever but the first game that ever blew my mind was FFVII.

Was the first JRPG I'd ever played and I'd never seen anything like it before.

Didn't even like it that much at first, didn't get the levelling up/materia stuff etc

Went back to it a week later to give it another chance, figured it out and was hooked. Class game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Super Mario Bros 3 dunno
    Mario 64 nothing special
    Zelda:Ocarine Of Time dunno
    Call Of Duty:4 why is this here?
    Metal Gear Solid good
    Mario Kart great
    Zelda:A Link To The Past dunno
    Tetris nope
    Super Mario Bros nope
    GTA:4 definitely not
    Portal great
    World Of Warcraft still dont get the appeal of this
    Half Life 2 nope
    Golden Eye 007 why is this here?
    Halo:Combat Evolved really?
    Mrs.Pacman dunno
    Super Metroid dont remember so no
    Street Fighter 2 nope
    Starcraft nope
    Resident Evil 4 nope
    DOOM 2 nope
    Fallout 3 great
    Oblivion This one
    Splinter Cell dunno
    Other good games are: TD2, L4D2, ADOM, Space Rogue, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 3, Starflight, Rome: Total War, Hitman 1, pacman, tekken 3, wipeout 3, portal 2, severence (blade of darkness), Dragon Age: Origins, Dark Souls. Overrated games are: Morrowind, Civilisation 4, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect 2

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Definitely MGS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Halo:Combat Evolved really?
    What are you on mate? I agreed with most of your other opinions of the poll but these annoyed me. Halo was the game that pretty much kept the xbox going against the PS2 (and is the reason we have the 360 today). It had good graphics for its time, a riveting story, a compelling main character, (even rarer) a compelling side-character (Cortana) and a whole universe spawned out of it. If any game on that list deserves to be named greatest game of all time, tis that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

Just Cause 2 gets my vote. Best open world I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    What are you on mate? I agreed with most of your other opinions of the poll but these annoyed me. Halo was the game that pretty much kept the xbox going against the PS2 (and is the reason we have the 360 today). It had good graphics for its time, a riveting story, a compelling main character, (even rarer) a compelling side-character (Cortana) and a whole universe spawned out of it. If any game on that list deserves to be named greatest game of all time, tis that one!
    I'm on a pc. It has a mouse, and therefore it is great for FPS games.
    Behind me is my x-box. It has vibrating control pads, which are great for plenty of things, but definitely not FPS games.
    I didn't play enough of Halo: Combat Evolved to really know the plot, to be fair. (Halo 3 story and characters were not especially interesting to me though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It's been said already but I'll say it again, Final Fantasy VII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

GTA IV wasn't even good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Of all the games that I've ever played, Unreal Tournament is the one that I keep going back to time and time again. That's why it's my favourite game of all time. Even today it's still fresh, fast-paced and tremendous fun.

Honourable mention to Wip3out, a game with more style and class than Barney Stinson's wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

CoD4 and WoW... The poll should have some categories... why compare tetris to GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

I voted for Tetris.
    And I didn't see Elite anywhere on the list, I could spend hours/days/months playing that game.
    I really hope they bring out a new version (not a mmo though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Honourable mention to Wip3out, a game with more style and class than Barney Stinson's wardrobe.

Wip3out: Special Edition for the PS1 was an unbelievable game for its time, the music, graphics, gameplay, replayability, it had everything. Must dig it out actually...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No Monkey Island?

Advertisement