Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Looking to get a polytunnel, if you have one, where and when did you get it? Also, was it a good buy?
    Any other advice, recommendations or horror stories welcomed.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

A friend got one from Northwest tool hire and its a disaster, stay away from them, apart from that I can't help you. remember that the cheapest one isn't necessarilly the best. I would love one but it just wouldn't survive up here unfortunately. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

When I get around to it I will build one like this.

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-DIY-Polytunnel.htm

There are many links for diy polytunnels webwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We went to Polydome in Birr. Must be nearly 10 years ago and we are still under the first cover. We are on a sheltered site. 5M wide by 12M (6 spans). I am very proud of how well the plastic was put on - that's one reason why it has lasted so long. The feet were set in concrete (advised to just drive them into the soil) and lined up with great precision.
    Get as big as you can fit on your land. We have a small paved area and loads of room for clothes lines and sand pit for the smalls.
    Our downfall comes at this time of year. I am not great at filling in the spaces left after harvest. Winter crops should be going in now to keep us in salads and greens for the winter.
    And keep feeding the soil. Seaweed, horse manure (well rotted), compost, green manure - whatever you've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

Thanks for the replies folks.
    One other question, do you use the rail system or did you bury the plastic around the edges? Any thoughts/experiences with either?

I like the look of the Polydome tunnels, but my other half also found a company in England who look good...but we'll probably end up getting it from an Irish company.
    Luckily we live near the sea, so we'll be able to get copious amounts of seaweed and we're going to get some pigs and goats...and our neighbours have cows and horses.....so getting animal poo shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Buried it in a 30cm x 30 cm trench. Not looking forward to the job of redoing that but if it only happens every 10 years then not so bad.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

bought mine a few years ago off "citadel polytunnels " in england. there online and even with delivery they were hundreds cheaper then anything i could find here.i buried mine to keep the cost down,works fine but if you have a few extra quid the plastic is a lovely neat job and alot easier to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Buried it in a 30cm x 30 cm trench. Not looking forward to the job of redoing that but if it only happens every 10 years then not so bad.:)

Mine buried too now for 12 years and still seems ok, fingers crossed.

The only thing putting holes into it is birds pecking at insects on the inside :(

Advertisement