Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Ringroad

• 15-08-2012 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi Folks,

I've heard some anecdotal comments recently that there is going to be a ringroad around Maynooth eventually? Has anyone got any fact based info on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Rebelski wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I've heard some anecdotal comments recently that there is going to be a ringroad around Maynooth eventually? Has anyone got any fact based info on this?

Thanks

Now, I'm not here to stir things up, but it is Kildare we're talking about here - IMO, Kildare is a prime example of why we need regional road authorites as has been already suggested on this forum. I believe a section the Southern Ring Road in Naas has already been traffic calmed - the question is: Where was the planning? Ring roads are supposed to be bypasses and no development should be allowed anywhere near them - simple as. Towns such as Clane, Newbridge, Maynooth, Kildare etc. should already have proper ring roads. The Western part of Swords in Fingal is yet another prime example! DLR County Council seem to be one of the best at getting proper regional roads in (even if the NTA are as of late, getting too much influence there) - look at the work they've done (still a lot to do though) since they were formed back in the 1990's - South Dublin County Council seem very good too!

Regards!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Intent is for a road from Blacklion to the Straffan Road, with developers building the bulk of it as they develop the adjoining land (as happened with parts of the Naas ring)

A substantial part of this was given planning a few years ago as part of a housing development but neither were built - this was Blacklion to the Celbridge Road. There is a section through Griffin Rath built, it continues on past the end of the estate development towards the Straffan Road. It is intended that it'll link with the Meadowbrook Link Road.

The overall plan for this dates from the mid 1980s if not earlier - when the M4 was planned to go North of the town. That is likely why it was so delayed.

I'll find the planning file for the Blacklion-Celbridge Road section later if you want, the bit through Griffin Rath is visible on-ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Rebelski

That would be great if you could, thanks. I'm not overly familiar with the surrounding roads of Maynooth.

Thanks Again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

071419 : http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLIte/default.aspx - no direct link but bang in that planning ref there.

And I also found 061379 which contains the rest of the road from Griffin Rath to the Straffan Road, which I never knew was even submitted. 1226 (12/26 if it refused that format) is an extension of duration permission for same.

Thats great, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There's also supposed to be a section from Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road (R157) - already a local road that joins the two roads, but it's small, twisty and across in Meath.
    Part of the road is already complete - as far as the entrance to Moyglare Hall, the rest is either supposed to be completed (at least as far as the county boundary, either by the builder of MH, or when the school is built).

I'm just trying to figure out is there a way to get onto the dunboyne road out of Maynooth without going thru the town, as traffic seems to be quiet bad during the day. I'll be comoing of the East bound section of the motorway motorway

Go past the Maynooth exit, and take the Leixlip West exit, and turn back toward Maynooth.
    Not sure if it's any quicker than going through the town though.

There's also supposed to be a section from Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road (R157) - already a local road that joins the two roads, but it's small, twisty and across in Meath.
    Part of the road is already complete - as far as the entrance to Moyglare Hall, the rest is either supposed to be completed (at least as far as the county boundary, either by the builder of MH, or when the school is built).

Hadn't noticed/heard of that that but its fairly obvious when you think about the layout at the entrance to the estate.

In typical KCC fashion, we'll be left with 3/4s of a ringroad then (like Naas) when you count the Meadowbrook Link and the Blacklion (which used to be little more than a laneway when I moved here). Better than nothing, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Does anyone else get the impression that as with Leixlip most of the traffic delays in Maynooth are caused by traffic lights. (And that the best thing that could be done with KCC is abolish it?)

The odd time that the lights are off there are no traffic problems.

It also puzzles me how KCC trusts motorists with roundabouts but 100m up the same road there could be traffic lights.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. I think I have to travel through 8 sets of lights between my house and the M4.

KCC's head road engineer tries to solve everything with lights.

Just to show that I'm not off with how bloody long they've been talking about this for, the Maynooth Newsletter for February 1987 has a rough map of the ring road in it:

http://www.maynoothcc.com/Archives/Newsletters/1987/Feburary.pdf

Page 22 on the page numbering on the text itself.

Planning has gone in for the houses which the first section of the Celbridge-Leixlip Roads section will be built for. 126 houses, 703m of road ending at a roundabout. File is 15/263. This won't actually be any use for anything other than that housing estate but it gets it about halfway there.

Planning has also gone in again for the remaining Straffan-Celbridge Roads section under 15/200 for more/higher density housing.

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning has also gone in again for the remaining Straffan-Celbridge Roads section under 15/200 for more/higher density housing.

Am I misreading the map, or does this plan have houses directly on the ringroad? Seems like a bad idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

n97 mini wrote: »
    The odd time that the lights are off there are no traffic problems.
    Pedestrians can't cross the street then.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Pedestrians can't cross the street then.

Its actually generally not a problem in Maynooth specifically. One or two spots on the Straffan Road are a bit poor but would be fine with islands, however they're never going to be built again. Anyway, pedestrian lights aren't the issue in Maynooth - its the junction control lights that are.

Most of the lights put in for junctions ease one specific movement - slightly in some cases - to the detriment of everything else. The lights at Supervalu are a major case, they make turning right marginally quicker but whenever they alone fail the entire town moves faster.

Am I misreading the map, or does this plan have houses directly on the ringroad? Seems like a bad idea.

Looks like it. Not a lot but more than I'd want. It has its advantages in making the road feel less dead and they do have a reduced number of accesses (clustered parking spaces) but its going to cause huge delays when someone that can't drive properly tries reversing on to the ringroad.

Maps are up for the first bit of Celbridge->Straffan section are finally up. No houses open on to the road but there is a roundabout for the estate entrance (and a normal T junction to the Celbridge Road)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Just to show that I'm not off with how bloody long they've been talking about this for, the Maynooth Newsletter for February 1987 has a rough map of the ring road in it:

http://www.maynoothcc.com/Archives/Newsletters/1987/Feburary.pdf

Page 22 on the page numbering on the text itself.

Wildly off-topic, but there is a fascinating statement on page 27, where there is a 1986 survey of 44 Maynooth school-leavers from the class of 1980.

It says that only 29% (nearly a third) married is surprisingly small number given that they'd all be 23 years old by now!

Long time ago indeed.

• Advertisement

Wildly off-topic, but there is a fascinating statement on page 27, where there is a 1986 survey of 44 Maynooth school-leavers from the class of 1980.

It says that only 29% (nearly a third) married is surprisingly small number given that they'd all be 23 years old by now!

Long time ago indeed.

The archives are a wonderful source of oddity. One thing I find is a pity is that house ads in it rarely if ever have prices until the late 1990s - I wanted to know what previous occupants of my street paid.

It'd be great if all the local newsletters/papers around had the foresight to digitise their archives as its a great source of social history for the future.

Funding secured for the expensive bit (the canal/railway bridge and link roads between the Celbridge Road and Dublin Road) in 2016, to be drawn for a start by early '19 at the latest I believe.

Tender out for ground investigations now.

If other developments fall in to place I'd see the entire Eastern arc - Straffan Road to Moyglare Road - in place by 2021. There are three 'roads to nowhere' already built and one section that was straightened and widened in about 1995 to be used for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If other developments fall in to place I'd see the entire Eastern arc - Straffan Road to Moyglare Road - in place by 2021. There are three 'roads to nowhere' already built and one section that was straightened and widened in about 1995 to be used for this.

Are there any maps for the project, or even the parts that got funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

The reserved routes are indicated in the current local area plan for Maynooth. P97 of
    http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/MaynoothLAP2013-2019/KCCMaynoothLAPPartC.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I had thought this was to link all the way to the M4 interchange at Lidl. Is that separate?

tnegun wrote: »
    I had thought this was to link all the way to the M4 interchange at Lidl. Is that separate?

That's separate and to be developer-delivered. Two stubs of it have already been built - past Lidl and through Griffin Rath

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.3664/-6.5855

Also, Moyglare Hall to the road north of Blacklion is intended to be development lead through Meath, short stub there too

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.3925/-6.5940

I knew the stubs were there but hadn't realized it was to be developer led :( Can't see this doing too much for traffic in the area most locals know to use Pike bridge already so this will really just improve the Dunboyne rd junction and add more traffic to the Straffen rd.

The state of the paths and cycle lanes no dropped kerbs ffs https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3686054,-6.5800444,3a,75y,102.78h,65.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd1is5ERm6yY5FsQwZVyvmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656, doesn't bode well for a developer led patchwork of a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

tnegun wrote: »
    The state of the paths and cycle lanes no dropped kerbs ffs https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3686054,-6.5800444,3a,75y,102.78h,65.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd1is5ERm6yY5FsQwZVyvmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656, doesn't bode well for a developer led patchwork of a road.

:mad: That's dire! Surely if they are required to put in a cycleway (which looks decent enough given the source) they are required to follow some sort of guidelines?

Advertisement