Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFVII is out.

Options
  • 14-08-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

So, in case you blinked and missed it, the PC release that unceremoniously plopped out last weekend has been released officially.

http://kotaku.com/5934566/looks-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-re+release-is-out-today-in-europe?comment=51840877

The first details: it's not good. Same midi soundtrack, log in issues with the SE download manager, SecuRom in full effect, and some crazy graphical issues with text boxes and backgrounds in random battles.

No word on it's compatibility with existing FF7 mods / patches, downloading now. Will update accordingly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does chocobo racing still crash the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Does chocobo racing still crash the game?

40% downloaded, I'll get back to ye tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dlm

Copied from the other thread:
    The trophy list is very disappointing
    End Of Part I
    Complete the first part of the game

End Of Part II
    Complete the second part of the game

End Of Game
    Complete Final Fantasy VII

Master Materia
    Reach the maximum level of any materia

Master Of Gil
    99,999,999 Gil

Top Level
    Reach Level 99 with any character

Knights Of The Round
    Get materia Knights Of The Round

Omnislash
    Get Cloud’s last Limit Break

Catastrophe
    Get Barret’s last limit break

Chaos
    Get Vincent’s last limit break

Great Gospel
    Get Aeris’s last limit break

Highwind
    Get Cid’s last limit break

Final Heaven
    Get Tifa’s last limit break

All Creation
    Get Yuffie’s last limit break

Cosmo Memory
    Get Red XIII’s last limit break

Slots
    Get Cait Sith’s last limit break

Bahamut Zero
    Get materia Bahamut Zero

Ultimate Weapon
    Defeat the Ultimate Weapon

Diamond Weapon
    Defeat the Diamond Weapon

Ruby Weapon
    Defeat the Ruby Weapon

Emerald Weapon
    Defeat the Emerald Weapon

Vincent
    Get Vincent on your team

Yuffie
    Get Yuffie on your team

Materia Overlord
    Master all Materias

Battle Square
    Start a battle in the Battle Square

Gold Chocobo
    Get a Gold Chobobo

Won 1st Battle
    Win your first battle

Braver
    Use Cloud’s first limit

Big Shot
    Use Barret’s first limit

Galian Beast
    Use Vincent’s first limit

Healing Wind
    Use Aeris’s first limit

Boost Jump
    Use Cid’s first limit

Beat Rush
    Use Tifa’s first limit

Greased Lightning
    Use Yuffie’s first limit

Sled Fang
    Use Red XIII’s first limit

Dice
    Use Cait Sith’s first limit

Good man yerself ;)

Ok I played up to the first save point. You're allowed 15*10 saves and they're all stored in the cloud which is neat i guess.

The game speed is about 50% faster than normal (or was the old PC version always faster than the PS?).

It runs in the 4:3 AR by default and scaling it to full resolution makes the backgrounds look worse.

Edit:
    log in issues with the SE download manager, SecuRom in full effect, and some crazy graphical issues with text boxes and backgrounds in random battles.
    I havent had any of these issues as of yet. Although the MIDI sound is grating in parts

Edit2: BTW it's a 2.3GB download

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

dlm wrote: »
    The game speed is about 50% faster than normal (or was the old PC version always faster than the PS?).

Well it's definitely faster than the PAL version, but maybe it's just me or does it feel a lot faster than the NTSC one as well? Not that I mind tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PAL version runs 16.7% slower than the US version which the PC version is based on. 16.7% doesn't sound like a lot but once you experience the difference between PAL and NTSC games you realise that PAL versions are terrible compared to NTSC versions. It makes a big difference which is why you think it runs 50% faster.

Good comparison here, notice how the music and gameplay are ruined in the PAL version. You can also really feel it in the controls:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PAL version runs 16.7% slower than the US version which the PC version is based on. 16.7% doesn't sound like a lot but once you experience the difference between PAL and NTSC games you realise that PAL versions are terrible compared to NTSC versions. It makes a big difference which is why you think it runs 50% faster.

Good comparison here, notice how the music and gameplay are ruined in the PAL version. You can also really feel it in the controls:

The difference is a big surprise. The NTSC music sounds a bit weird at first (I must have completed Sonic about a billion times as a kid) but once you get used to it, it makes the PAL music sound desperate. The gameplay looks better too. Sonic on speed, how could it not be better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can feel the speed difference in the controls. I got my girlfriend a modded saturn with a 50/60 Hz switch recently and you can switch between PAL and NTSC at the touch of a button. The game becomes really unresponsive and sluggish at 50 Hz. Kind of annoying realising you've been getting boned on terrible conversions for so many years and not playing these games the way they are meant to be played.

Even worse for RPG players. All those extra hours we pumped into games because they were running 20% slower. I could have made a bigger dent on my backlog!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Very much noticeable on the PC the difference in the speed. Was actually massively surprised to see the difference, really changes the presentation of the game. the fact that random battles go from 6 seconds of loading to 3 is incredible. Played last night for 2 hours and just about to fight Rufus which I'm kinda impressed with (as per the other thread, herself is disgusted at how fast I'm getting through the game)

Had a look at the achievements too, that "MASTER ALL MATERIA" one I can see being people's last to get done.

• Advertisement

The achievements are really lame. I was hoping for some stuff like 'beat Gi Nattak without healing items' or 'beat Emerald Weapon without using Underwater materia'. Or maybe an achievement for helping Mog get laid. Such a perfunctory port.

So my download got corrupted at at 87% :mad: Can anyone tell me how the mouse and keyboard controls are? They used the Num pad in the original, please tell there's mouse control.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Had a look at the achievements too, that "MASTER ALL MATERIA" one I can see being people's last to get done.
    There's a 99mil Gil one. AFAIR you're usually sitting on about 40 or 50mil after mastering KOTR so that could be a pain...
    Alactric wrote: »
    So my download got corrupted at at 87% :mad: Can anyone tell me how the mouse and keyboard controls are? They used the Num pad in the original, please tell there's mouse control.
    No mouse controls unfortunately

Last time I played through an emulator on the Xperia Play. I'm really missing the save state/load state. That would have been so much handier than the "Character Booster" thing

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I predict
    Master all Materia
    Great Gospel
    and 99999999999999999999999 gil, are the trouble makers.

I wonder did they use the opportunity to fix basic games issues like the item glitch and the fact that magic defense stat on armor isn't assigned to any of the games mechanics and is thus a void stat.

I predict
    Master all Materia
    Great Gospel
    and 99999999999999999999999 gil, are the trouble makers.

I wonder did they use the opportunity to fix basic games issues like the item glitch and the fact that magic defense stat on armor isn't assigned to any of the games mechanics and is thus a void stat.

I've got the Great Gospel already, just need Aeris to actually get to the stage where she can use it :) the gil always seems to happen to me anyway but the master all materia....if we can't use magic pots with the W-item cheat, thats gonna be a pain

Anyone else doing this? Haven't managed to get the Master Materia achievement yet even though I've mastered a few different materia. Anyone else come across this?

It's probably an issue with the cloud. I had to wait 5 minutes the other day before it would let me save. I think it has to wait and check with the cloud in order to give you achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Might buy this over the weekend, people who have, think its worth it?

Might buy this over the weekend, people who have, think its worth it?

Well...since it's a question of "worth" ;)

It's almost identical to the 1998 PC version. It adds support for higher resolutions and "achievements" If you were to emulate it you would literally have 100% more customizability, and probably more fun.

It should be no less than 2.99 not a mind 9.99

Anyone got the Materia Overlord achievement for mastering all materia? Mine isnt showing up and I've got the whole lot according to multiple sources :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone got the Materia Overlord achievement for mastering all materia? Mine isnt showing up and I've got the whole lot according to multiple sources :(

Have you mastered every one or just collected each different materia type?

What are these achievements your all on about btw? Where do they show up? In game or Squares weird download thingy?

Do you have all the enemy skills? that counts too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Just killed Hojo, in his face!

I've a feeling I'm after getting screwed on the Master All Materia one. I know Enemy Skills count but just read about Pandora's box only ever being used once in the entire game. Pretty sure I missed it :(

I've a feeling I'm after getting screwed on the Master All Materia one. I know Enemy Skills count but just read about Pandora's box only ever being used once in the entire game. Pretty sure I missed it :(

Take it as a lesson to ignore achievements especially pointless grindy ones.

Mastered.
    Alactric wrote: »
    What are these achievements your all on about btw? Where do they show up? In game or Squares weird download thingy?
    When you go to start the game it will ask do you want to play, see achievements, go to website or exit.
    Do you have all the enemy skills? that counts too!
    Yep, I got 1 mastered.

Really not loving this crappy achievement implementation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tricolorbob1987

Hey, spent the last few days playing this :D, just wondering whats the recommended characters? atm I am using Cloud (obviously) Redxiii (use him for the healing of the party) and Vincent (main magic damage). Alot of people say to change Vincent with Cid?
    Any help would be great, thanks :)

I just use them all giving them all equal play time. The game is very easy for an RPG and the characters only differ in the limit breaks they use due to the way the materia system works. I'd only be concerned about what characters to use when you are power gaming the optional weapon bosses and even then it's materia and not limit breaks that count. The game auto levels up people not in use anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tricolorbob1987

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just use them all giving them all equal play time. The game is very easy for an RPG and the characters only differ in the limit breaks they use due to the way the materia system works. I'd only be concerned about what characters to use when you are power gaming the optional weapon bosses and even then it's materia and not limit breaks that count. The game auto levels up people not in use anyway.

Cheers :), Going to leave my party like that, except mix in tifa/Cid/Barret for Vincent every now and again :D, love Redxiii :p. Would love if they did the same for FF IX, what a game :D

Advertisement