Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collective Bargaining, Millionaire's v Billionaire's and the possibility of a lockout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404585

NEW YORK -- NHL labour talks remain in recess five days after negotiations broke down, and 10 days before the league has threatened to lock out its players.

There has been no word from either the NHL or the NHL Players' Association as to when negotiations will resume. The current deal is set to expire Sept. 15.

Talks broke off Friday after the two sides traded counteroffers.

Union chief Don Fehr said the NHLPA's proposal did not bear fruit. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused the union of stonewalling.

10 days and counting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404585

NEW YORK -- NHL labour talks remain in recess five days after negotiations broke down, and 10 days before the league has threatened to lock out its players.

There has been no word from either the NHL or the NHL Players' Association as to when negotiations will resume. The current deal is set to expire Sept. 15.

Talks broke off Friday after the two sides traded counteroffers.

Union chief Don Fehr said the NHLPA's proposal did not bear fruit. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused the union of stonewalling.

10 days and counting.......

I've given up counting. Completely and unapologetically negative towards the whole situation now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

This whole thing just makes me want to throw the hell up

This whole thing just makes me want to throw the hell up

Anyone else starting to research European hockey? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I getting to the point quite rapidly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Im actually really disappointed. I cant see this getting resolved at this stage with no talks scheduled. I was going to get UPC TV added to my broadband specifically to watch the season. Guess ill be saving €20 a month

This is going to be my 3rd NHL lockout. I'm pretty much prepared for the inevitable. This is the same posturing that we saw in the previous lockouts. There haven't been any surprises so far. The only thing that would surprise me would be if they were working around the clock to avoid a lockout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The only thing that would surprise me would be if they were working around the clock to avoid a lockout.

The lack of action is amazing. The issues are not going to magically resolve themselves. It looks like we won't be seeing hockey for some time. Thank god, I am not in NY until next April.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=404679

DREGER: COMMON GROUND NEEDED TO ADVANCE CBA NEGOTIATIONS

There is risk of the entire 2012-2013 NHL season being wiped out.

Now that qualifies as fear mongering, but considering how entrenched both the league and the players' association are with less than 10 days until the expiration of the existing collective bargaining agreement, sources on both sides are accepting the loss of another season as a possibility.

Negotiations remain in a stalemate - with no plan to resume formal talks.

8 days and counting........

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

I'm getting NHL 13 next week will let you know who wins the Stanley cup next year :D

I'd say that be the only hockey I'll see on tv this year:cool:

And that when all the penguins seem in good health and ready to win another cup...

Aahhh well, at least football is on, go steelers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

I really hope this doesn't go ahead. Hoping to head to ny in novmeber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Anyone else starting to research European hockey? :(

Yep, KHL has started and some of the other Euro leagues, so at least there will be something to keep us going.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I ended up buying that ticket for the Capitals home opener in October. I got it off Stubhub so at least if the season is delayed I get a full refund so I won't be out of pocket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

With the ****e coverage last year I kinda fell out of love with the NHL. Kinda hoping a lockout reignites my love for it :)

With the ****e coverage last year I kinda fell out of love with the NHL. Kinda hoping a lockout reignites my love for it :)

Get NHL Gamecentre, practically take yr pick of any game during the season. I got it first last year, and I found it well worth the money.

Obviously that is, if the season goes ahead.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Are you talking about the Setanta coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Get NHL Gamecentre, practically take yr pick of any game during the season. I got it first last year, and I found it well worth the money.

Obviously that is, if the season goes ahead.

How much is it by the way?

It was $20 a month or $160 for the season last year.

Think I paid about €120 euro for it, got it about 4 weeks into the season, season before that I had it on ESPN America.

Back to the topic at hand.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405196

BETTMAN: OWNERS UNANIMOUSLY AGREE TO LOCKOUT WITHOUT NEW CBA

NEW YORK -- Gary Bettman has reiterated that the NHL season won't start until there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place.

The commissioner was speaking after a two-hour meeting of the league's board of governors Thursday.

There was some hope that the two sides could continue to talk. Bettman offered to meet "any time, at any place."

"If you're dedicated to the negotiating process, you can move this along quickly," Bettman said. "If, for whatever reason, you're not interested in making a deal, you drag it out."

But Bettman insisted there would be no hockey without a deal.

• Advertisement

Back to the topic at hand.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405196

BETTMAN: OWNERS UNANIMOUSLY AGREE TO LOCKOUT WITHOUT NEW CBA

NEW YORK -- Gary Bettman has reiterated that the NHL season won't start until there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place.

The commissioner was speaking after a two-hour meeting of the league's board of governors Thursday.

There was some hope that the two sides could continue to talk. Bettman offered to meet "any time, at any place."

"If you're dedicated to the negotiating process, you can move this along quickly," Bettman said. "If, for whatever reason, you're not interested in making a deal, you drag it out."

But Bettman insisted there would be no hockey without a deal.

Not a snowball's hope in hell that there'll be a full 2012-2013 season, I'd be amazed if there was more than half a season at this point.

Meanwhile, Kari Lehtonen signed an improved contract today, worth $29.5m over 5 years. The mind boggles.

And the Bruins tied up Lucic for 3 more years. God damn this season had some much promise.

And with no formal negotiations taking place this evening, it's all but official that there's a lockout.

Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin are both going to play with Magnitogorsk in the KHL. Will be interesting to see where the other players go. I had heard that the Elitserien in Sweden had said they wouldn't be allowing any short-term moves during the lockout but there was a potential legal challenge against this, so Sweden may still be on the cards. I'm sure the likes of Finland and Switzerland will also be popular amongst the European players.

It's amazing to see the amount of NHL contracts being signed in the last few days.

I had hoped that sense might prevail and we would get a miracle before the deadline, but doesn't look like its going to happen. Only question now is how long it's gonna take before anything at all happens, are we gonna miss the full season or what.

Is Tim Thomas physic?

Only question now is how long it's gonna take before anything at all happens, are we gonna miss the full season or what.

Who knows. But at the rate the meetings are happening (or not) I'd be very surprised if anything happened pre-Christmas. Would be terrible to lose out on a potentially amazing Winter Classic because of this.

The tweet of the evening goes to Dave Maloney:

LpSJ3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

What is going to happen now that the lock out has happened. Malkin has gone to a russian team due to the lock out.

Now we will see a lot of the players head off to play in the European leagues and some to the KHL, as seen with Malkin and Gonchar.

There will still be negotiations with the NHL, but it's unlikely we will see anything substantial happen for a couple of months yet.

Nash and Thornton have both come out and said that this is not true.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Swiss-Report-Inacurate

I spoke to a few players that went to play in Europe during the last lockout. I didn't hear many positive things out of them when they returned. I would be very surprised to see many of the 'bigger names' playing 'over seas' this time around.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405505

San Jose Sharks captain Joe Thornton is the latest NHL player headed to Europe.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, Thornton is joining HC Davos of the Swiss League and will fly to Switzerland this week to play as early as this weekend.

Amazing how fast that changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

i knew it :D

heard somewhere than Malkin is trying to talk Crosby into playing for magnitogorsk... he and Gonchar already said that they will play for them in case of a lock out....

that would make other star players think about that possibility too...

something else i heard or read is that some leagues wont let players play on a short term contract which basically means that they will have to commit for a full year...

it will only take 2-3 big names to do so and then hell will break loose...

i see now that MrJoeSoap already mentioned the short term contracts...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Izy wrote: »
    i knew it :D

heard somewhere than Malkin is trying to talk Crosby into playing for magnitogorsk... he and Gonchar already said that they will play for them in case of a lock out....

that would make other star players think about that possibility too...

something else i heard or read is that some leagues wont let players play on a short term contract which basically means that they will have to commit for a full year...

it will only take 2-3 big names to do so and then hell will break loose...

i see now that MrJoeSoap already mentioned the short term contracts...

It's basically the same as what happened during the nba lockout. Some players played in Europe and had clauses in their contracts that allowed them to return in the event of an agreement. It was grand for them but some guys were stuck in different leagues who wouldn't allow them to have that clause.

Advertisement