Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand made decorations/gifts etc; list your ideas here!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Hey guys this is just a quick DIY Christmas decoration idea.
    To make a candy tree decorations.
    Things you will need :
    2 ice cream cones ( stack them on top of each other )
    Royal iceing (the type you use for making ginger bread houses )
    And lots of gumballs (Multi coloured looks best )

Stack the ice cream cones on top of each other , then cover them with royal iceing then place the gumballs all over (No gaps ) And there you have a really pretty decoration that's super easy to make , I will try and put some pics up of the ones I made last year tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you could buy a pretty box that are available in various shops now and fill them with home-made truffles. Truffles are extremely easy to make - you have flavor them with whatever you fancy and they look great. put tissue paper into the box and put the truffles in. Better than just buying a box of ordinary chocs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Oh I love the bauble wreaths and trees. Where are the best places to buy baubles cheaply? Would be looking to get over a hundred or so but don't want to break the bank. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Oh I love the bauble wreaths and trees. Where are the best places to buy baubles cheaply? Would be looking to get over a hundred or so but don't want to break the bank. Any ideas?

Dunnes and Penneys were the best I think. The big bumper packs with loads of baubles in them. I can't remember how much exactly but definitely didn't break the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The decoupage stuff looks great. As part of her Christmas present I'm thinking of getting my mum a very pretty Christmas ornament (I found out what she wanted and got it half price on amazon so have a bit of cash to spare but no ideas :-/) and then had the idea to set it into a little decoupage box that I've made.

I've seen specific stuff like decoupage paper mentioned, but what do I ACTUALLY need? Like, If I did a box will it still fit back together or do I need to buy a slightly bigger lid?

Also, I think I'm going to go to the craft fair this year, so I'm hoping to get the ornament there and some supplies for the box. Does anyone know if the required stuff will be on sale there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

You shouldn't need a bigger lid. Decoupage paper is very thin. Just don't use layers and layers of it. Get a paint brush, glue and your paper and you're set!

Give it plenty of time to dry though, if you plan on getting the box open again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Having trouble sourcing cellophane wrap for a hamper - any idea where to buy in Dublin. Thanks. Oh I've tried florists but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

deelite wrote: »
    Having trouble sourcing cellophane wrap for a hamper - any idea where to buy in Dublin. Thanks. Oh I've tried florists but to no avail.

If you're near a l'Occitane, you could chance your arm n ask them for some, offer to buy it and they might be feeling generous ;).
    That's if the the sheets they have are big enough.
    Or maybe the Body Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I think I read somewhere last year that they had some in Lidl. Might be worth a try. :) Or any arts and crafts shop, they should definitely have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The local florist would be able to order you a roll, then it will pretty much last forever. (What happened with me though was I was looking at this massive roll going "Sure EVERY present looks better with an added layer of cellophane" :p, I still do kinda think that but restrain myself a bit more than I used to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There's a florist supplies shop in Sandyford Industrial Estate if you're anywhere near there. You can buy the cellophane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Thanks everybody - got some finally from a florist. Thanks for all the replies and I am going to make the chocolate biscuit cakexxx

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

www.wholesaleflowers.ie are in Dublin and will sell you a roll no problem and they have loads of other florist items that you can use for crafting.

If anyone is looking for cellophane bags for truffles, cookies etc, Dealz have packs of 20 bags with gold ribbons for only 1.49. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

meg3178 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for cellophane bags for truffles, cookies etc, Dealz have packs of 20 bags with gold ribbons for only 1.49. :D

Thanking you very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Following on from the celephane/wrapping discussion, I thought this was a pretty cool idea:

http://manmadediy.com/chris/posts/639-how-to-make-typographic-gift-wrap

Would look fantastic with say, plain red paper with the letters made out of patterened red paper. Or gold would look really good too. All you'd need is a stencil and a sharp paper blade!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 strawberrytart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Two great ideas there, the pampering in a jar is so cute!

The clay decorations look so easy, imagine the fun you could have decorating them with kids.

I think you should make them yourself Strawberrytart and then gift them to yourself! I'm a great believer in buying yourself a present at Christmas :D

Advertisement