Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Surgery?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Pussies do that. The trick is open shells and use the gunpowder to cauterise the wound

The gunpowder works well with a blow torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My DIY story; Had a lump behind my lip, pretty big. It was there for around 6 months until i decided I had enough of it. Used a razor blade, tweasers and nail scissors. Lots of blood when i got it out but soon stopped. The lump was a white thing that crumbled to bits in my hand. Google told me benign lumps fall apart after removal, so all good..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

mattjack wrote: »
    You and me are just mere amateurs .

What a waste of vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

This guy got the missus to pop a little cyst for him :D

SERIOUSLY DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEeMJgV75nQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Chucken wrote: »

Cottage cheese, anyone?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Bloody hell never thought I was squeamish but feel a little I'll after all of this.
    When I was about 4 I had a very rare strain of ring worm on my head (I looked like a cone head)
    Operation was booked but the day before I decided to stick sowing needles in it (thought it would burst) it didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

This threads awesome!

OP its just a scratch so! I was expecting a hole in your foot!

I have warts all over my hand that wont feck off, Im tempted to go get a razor and some vodka...

I know a man who stapeled a cut on his 4year old daughters head closed with a wall stapler and also removed them himself. Hmm didnt realise how wrong that was till i typed it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Chucken wrote: »

I don't know whether to laugh or puke

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I know a man who stapeled a cut on his 4year old daughters head closed with a wall stapler and also removed them himself. Hmm didnt realise how wrong that was till i typed it out..

Eh call Social services?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My parents have removed fish hooks from head and fingers, also from the dog. picked glass out of
    my brother's face n head with tweezers after a car accident.

My dad gave himself stitches, glued cuts.

The worst I saw was when my cousins skirts caught fire and burned her legs and bum and her mom n step dad didnt take her to hospital. She couldn't get out if bed for a week, they put wet face cloths over her naked rear end and legs. Bet her legs and bum have nasty scars. She was 16 or 17 at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

This threads awesome!

OP its just a scratch so! I was expecting a hole in your foot!

I have warts all over my hand that wont feck off, Im tempted to go get a razor and some vodka...

There is absolutely no way I believe this happened. No way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There is absolutely no way I believe this happened. No way at all.

Her name.... check out her name, 'Fairytalegirl'

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

sliced open my thumb while adjusting a chainsaw chain. was pretty deep and knarly and really needed a few stitchs but i was working at the time(landscaping) and needed the cash so had some super glue in the van and it worked. I still have my thumb.
    Have removed stitchs before, no big deal as i refused to give doctor 50 yoyos for the privilage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Girl in the Striped Socks.

Thats the second time now on boards youve personally called me out in a thread and insinuated I'm a liar. Give it a rest. I know there are people who completley fabricate stuff online but Im not one of them - despite my username ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Had a huge raised wart on my elbow a few years back that i couldn't get rid of.

I had it froze off twice but it came back and it was really pissing me off. It was so ugly looking i honestly couldn't stand it, well one day i got so pissed off i decided enough was enough.

I sterilized a razor blade, rubbed the wart with alcohol and just went at it.

It was painful and there was a lot of blood but i managed to slice it off. I found it was hard to see where i was cutting due to the blood but i eventually prevailed. It never came back although it did leave a small scar but id take that over a wart any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

cynder wrote: »
    My parents have removed fish hooks from head and fingers, also from the dog. picked glass out of
    my brother's face n head with tweezers after a car accident.

My dad gave himself stitches, glued cuts.

The worst I saw was when my cousins skirts caught fire and burned her legs and bum and her mom n step dad didnt take her to hospital. She couldn't get out if bed for a week, they put wet face cloths over her naked rear end and legs. Bet her legs and bum have nasty scars. She was 16 or 17 at the time.
    When I was 5 I was racing around the kitchen like an ejit and I ran straight into my dad who was carrying a saucepan full of boiling water. The left side of my head especially my ear and my left shoulder were absolutely destroyed. Did I get brought to hospital? Not a chance. My mam was in hospital having my little sister at the time so I got brought up to my grandad's farm next door and my granny looked after me. Bizarrely apart from a minor scar on my shoulder I have no marks at all from it.

That reminds me actually I've only ever been in hospital once, when I was 6 months old I put my hand in a cup of tea. I still don't drink tea. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I reset a dislocated toe. I knew it was dislocated, as it was pointing at 90 degrees to the rest of them. Quite sore actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I once used a Belt Sander to try get rid of a wart from my finger........
    Ended up in A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Amateurs, all of you.
    Whole piece worth a read, or skip about halfway down.
    The guy is nuts, but also a legend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2007/oct/05/features11.g21

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Set and splinted a couple of broken fingers over the years, ditto for a bust wrist once and stitched a gash in my hand and knee. Took wet and dry sandpaper to the raised scar on the hand. Worked a treat actually. No scar unless you're really looking. Lanced another infected cut on my leg and slapped a bread poultice on it. Sorted. Like cynder have removed fish hooks more than once. Fly fishing in a strong wind can result in that. Trick is to clip off the barb and eye and push it through.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Cutting ingrown toenails down as far as they'll go and having them bleed all over the place... It hurts when you get right down to the 'stem' of the toenail and you can't cut down into it any further with the scissors. You just have to kinda... wriggle it out. I talked to a doctor about getting it fixed and I'm using epsom salts, cottom bud tips under the nail, and letting the nail grow longer to sort it out at last.

I also cut about half an inch into my thumb before and it just refused to clot for days. The kitchen paper worked well for it though. Shame that it really hampered my playstation skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

I remember when I was in School I had cut my finger with a chisel!

I tried to hide it so no one would notice but it was hard not to when there was nearly half a litre of blood on the floor :pac:

I wouldn't trust myself using instruments I think I'll leave it to the professionals!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ingrown toenails can be cured by cutting a V into the middle of the nail, it causes the nail to grow inwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ingrown toenails can be cured by cutting a V into the middle of the nail, it causes the nail to grow inwards ;)

I really appreciate that you're trying to help, but wikipedia says that that's actually a myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingrown_nail#Prevention

Thanks for the good intentions though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Funny. It's worked for me a few times in the past.

So either it's an urban myth and I've had 3/4 coincidences or it works to some degree. Perhaps it just works for mild cases or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Girl in the Striped Socks.

Thats the second time now on boards youve personally called me out in a thread and insinuated I'm a liar. Give it a rest. I know there are people who completley fabricate stuff online but Im not one of them - despite my username ;)

That's just what a liar would say! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

You don't need to painfully dig a whole wart out. Just enough to make it bleed. The Wart virus hides from the immune system. A nice bloody wart or cut near it will have the immune system send antibodies to the area to protect the cut site. While they are there, they finally cop onto the wart virus so to speak and usually the wart will disappear at the same time as the cut is healing.

This was a theory I developed as a kid when I accidentally sliced the top off a stubborn wart that resisted conventional treatments. It bled profusely for a while but disappeared within a week. Chuffed when I read a decade or more later about some study that warts near injuries disappeared and the theory the scientists came up with was the same as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I got a fiber from a snapped tent pole stuck in the palm of my hand one day at work. Couldn't get it out with a tweezers and it got fully embedded.
    Took the knife out of my pocket, cut an incision in my palm and got it out. It fecking hurt, but the following infection was worse :( Was squeezing yellow pus from my hand for the next day or two after it got inflamed and red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I tied a thread around a skin tag on my back. It took a few days and it fell off. You'd never even know it was there now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement