Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan..fukushima....it hasn't gone away you know!!!

Options
  • 11-08-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Really does seem to have been swept under the carpet!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Have the superheroes started appearing yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Where is it now? Is it not still Japan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Interesting....

pms are full btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

All the affected reactors are in cold shutdown and land decontamination is ongoing. What do you expect, a magic bullet?

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Interesting....

pms are full btw

Empty them and PM me. I'm lonely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Empty them and PM me. I'm lonely!

Ill probably get infracted for that, and if not that then this...

You change your avatar way too often dude

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The really bizarre thing is that the event is still referred to as "Fukishima" when the tsunami/earthquake killed far more people - 20,000 being a larger number than 0.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Ill probably get infracted for that, and if not that then this...

You change your avatar way too often dude

I like this one. I'm keeping it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

When people didn't start dying in their droves from Fukushima the anti-nuclear brigade soon lost interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

EURATS wrote: »
    Really does seem to have been swept under the carpet!!!

No, it got swept away under a wave.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Well well well

Fukushima hasn't went away, were did the the OP think it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Gbear wrote: »
    The really bizarre thing is that the event is still referred to as "Fukishima" when the tsunami/earthquake killed far more people - 20,000 being a larger number than 0.

Because people like getting hysterical about nuclear power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They should just nuke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

For Fukushima sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

dlofnep wrote: »
    They should just nuke it.

They did that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It's the red bit on the flag at this stage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wonder what E Honda is upto with himself now. He must be what, about 60 at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Well this thread went exactly as expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

guitarzero wrote: »
    Well this thread went exactly as expected.

Still no Godzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Shryke wrote: »
    Still no Godzilla.

Yes. Wait, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Where are all the anti-tsunami protests. Perhaps someone should start a rumour about them being caused by the Shell corrib pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ah bless. The naivety is sweet. Any idea what the international impact of the Tsunami has been? Production of factories in the affected areas has been decimated, I know, I work for client companies that can not secure components from manufacturers and are in scramble mode still. Radiation is insidious. You don't get people dropping from the rafters like dead birds, it is a lingering, sneaky, long term hazard. Kids will develop tumours in far off, unknown locations, "totally unrelated" to the "incident". The food chain will be contaminated with particles bodies take to be harmless, these will be concentrated as predator feeds on predator, up and up, from plankton to Pollack, grass to grazers, your tuna steak to your tumour. This will all, of course, be "unrelated to the incident" and get swallowed up in the fetid mass of statistics, blurred by borders and distorted by semantics. Fukushima has not "gone away", nor will it be "gone away" for several thousand years. But it will be forgotten and unremarked, a blip on the "unblemished record" of the nuclear industry. Sure you don't want the lights going out now, do you?

guitarzero wrote: »
    Yes. Wait, what?

Shirley you're not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pottler wrote: »
    Ah bless. The naivety is sweet. Any idea what the international impact of the Tsunami has been? Production of factories in the affected areas has been decimated, I know, I work for client companies that can not secure components from manufacturers and are in scramble mode still. Radiation is insidious. You don't get people dropping from the rafters like dead birds, it is a lingering, sneaky, long term hazard. Kids will develop tumours in far off, unknown locations, "totally unrelated" to the "incident". The food chain will be contaminated with particles bodies take to be harmless, these will be concentrated as predator feeds on predator, up and up, from plankton to Pollack, grass to grazers, your tuna steak to your tumour. This will all, of course, be "unrelated to the incident" and get swallowed up in the fetid mass of statistics, blurred by borders and distorted by semantics. Fukushima has not "gone away", nor will it be "gone away" for several thousand years. But it will be forgotten and unremarked, a blip on the "unblemished record" of the nuclear industry. Sure you don't want the lights going out now, do you?

Do you have any basis for this rather dramatic post? I suspect you wandered over from the Conspiracy Theory forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I always hear "hasn't gone away you know" in Gerry Adams voice.

A lot of hyperbole based on pop science articles. It reads like the intro to a zombie film. Day Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Chernobyl is still there too OP (just in case you were worried it had gone somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Do you have any basis for this rather dramatic post? I suspect you wandered over from the Conspiracy Theory forum

Common sense for any person with minimum level of education?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Chernobyl is still there too OP (just in case you were worried it had gone somewhere)

No I wasn't worried about that. Thanks for your concern! That's another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

No real evidence for that, the WHO compiled a study and 4000 died not the project 100s of thousands which was the expectation after the accident. I seems our body's can cope with higher exposures to radiation the previously determined..

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.who.int%2Fmediacentre%2Fnews%2Freleases%2F2005%2Fpr38%2Fen%2Findex.html&ei=NOsmUKWJL4mwhAfix4DQBg&usg=AFQjCNGOWk8AvegEZBzPv1mzWkSoC3jRhQ&sig2=Mb2G_ae7fSzQ4UapzxgFNQ

But how many will die in coal production yearly about 20,000 and how many may die from dependence on fossil fuel. If fossil fuel is causing runaway global warming,,billions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement