Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1 - For One Night Only - (The Saw Doctors) - August 10th, 2012 @ 9:35pm.

Options
  • 10-08-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight on 'For One Night Only' Gay pays tribute to one of the most successful bands from the West of Ireland:

The Saw Doctors.
    Gay Byrne chats to founding members, Leo and Davy. How the name came about, the stories behind the N17 and I Useta Love Her...are all revealed as well as performed in front of a huge group of their lively fans!

As well as performing all the hits the boys talk about how growing up in Tuam was all the inspiration that they needed to write their great hits. They discuss life on the road, what it was like growing up in Tuam, Davy's failed attempt at emigrating, his joy at playing in the Royal Albert Hall with his Mam and Dad in the audience. Tragedy also inspired songs, and Leo talks about the death of his brother and why he wrote I Hope We'll Meet Again.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/foronenightonly/this_week.html

The Saw Doctors have always been about having the craic so I think tonight's show should be a bit of fun.

A proper West of Ireland sing-song has to include at least one of the following: "I Useta Love Her", "N17", "Clare Island", "Red Cortina","Never Mind the Strangers" and "That's What She Said Last Night". (It is the law :D).

Here is my favourite, "I Useta Love her", it takes me back to my teenage disco days. I attended an all girl school but at the end of each term, the nuns allowed us to attend a disco in St. Flannan's College (the local boys secondary school). Happy Days :pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Should be a good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm sick of looking at those F**kers.........They are like a rash that won't go away.

No.

And that bloody song. (God, I'm in a narky mood today)....:(

I feel so bad reading this.

But I really can't change it.....my awful nasty side coming out....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 71,699 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

According to the ad on the radio, it's Finbar Furey tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

According to the ad on the radio, it's Finbar Furey tonight

I've seen quite a few ads on RTE for this week being about The Saw Doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm sick of looking at those F**kers.........They are like a rash that won't go away.

No.

And that bloody song. (God, I'm in a narky mood today)....:(

I feel so bad reading this.

But I really can't change it.....my awful nasty side coming out....:(
    GSW - You're completely wrecking my happy buzz missus :( I thought you told us before that you had West of Ireland blood in you? :eek:

I'm revoking your West of Ireland Passport with immediate effect :mad::mad::mad::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

From the band's Facebook page:

Tonight at 9.35 p.m., RTE 1 will show a one hour TV Special on The Saw Doctors, entitled 'For One Night Only with Gay Byrne'.

The Saw Doctors will play seven songs live on tonights show, including N17, Downtown, I Useta Lover, Midnight Express and a new arrangement of I Hope You Meet Again featuring the London backing singer Lindsey Cleary.

Gay Byrne chats to the bands founding members, Leo Moran and Davy Carton - How the name came about, the stories behind N17 and I Useta Lover, what it was like growing up in Tuam, Davy's failed attempt at emigrating, his joy at playing in the Royal Albert Hall with his Mam and Dad in the audience and lots more.

The Saw Doctors....For One Night Only will be repeated on RTE 1 on Saturday 11 August at 11.10 p.m.

"I Useta Lover" was today announced as Ireland's Favourite Number 1 Single of the last 50 years following an online poll conducted by Today FM.....

MrsD007 wrote: »
    GSW - You're completely wrecking my happy buzz missus :( I thought you told us before that you had West of Ireland blood in you? :eek:

I'm revoking your West of Ireland Passport with immediate effect :mad::mad::mad::D

I can't help it.

I really don't like them........and Dublin and Clare are playing hurling next MrsD..........

Daggers at Dawn.....LOL.......:D:D:D

Pints are on you!!!!!!!!

Dublin and Clare are playing hurling next MrsD..........

Daggers at Dawn.....LOL.......:D:D:D
    Indeed they are Grey ;)

UP THE BANNER!!!!

ie-clr.gif

Indeed they are Grey ;)

UP THE BANNER!!!!

ie-clr.gif

You know how you want me to reply........;)

As if I am not going to get lynched if Mayo beat Dublin?........

LOL...............See you in Copper's MrsD.............(That is actually funny!)......:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Love that "Work Shed On A Cold Night" reverb they have on Davy's voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Love that "Work Shed On A Cold Night" reverb they have on Davy's voice.

It's genuinely an improvement. RTE have butchered Davy's voice for years.

It never gets any less strange seeing a neighbour on the telly.

Damn right it's the Galway Road Gay!

Now Gay, how about getting the pronunciation of Tuam correct.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    RTE have butchered Davy's voice for years. It never gets any less strange seeing a neighbour on the telly.

I do think his voice is gone from years of pushing it though.. But RTE's sound team have that unique ability to make any RTE artist sound like they are playing at the bottom of a tin rubbish bin.

The blonde girl is very striking.

The blonde girl is very striking.

Thank you very much MrsD....

Mostly I'm just called Grey........:D

And you know I'm not watching.............much.......:p

Her name is Lindsey Cleary. She's English as far as I'm aware. She fits in quite well!

Her name is Lindsey Cleary. She's English as far as I'm aware. She fits in quite well!

Spoiler..............:mad:

Spoiler..............:mad:

Why the need for a spoiler?

Why the need for a spoiler?

Long story, buy you a pint?...........:D

MrsD started this.......;)

"Buy shares in the After Life" - what a brilliant line.

• Advertisement

"Buy shares in the After Life" - what a brilliant line.

It's one of my favourite songs. I can picture everything they are talking about in that song.

Leo's father is one of the most amazing men I've ever met in my life.

Midnight Express. The song I remember vividly coming on my iPod on my first bus journey to college when I realised I was gonna be away from home for a while. Had me sobbing when I finally got to my room! :o

Their songs are about simple everyday experiences but they are beautiful all the same :)

:(

Unfortunately I've heard this song at one too many funerals. One sing at by Leo himself.

"I hope we meet again" is a fabulous song. It always reminds me of an aunt of mine who was a huge Saw Doctors fan. She passed away when she was in her early forties from Breast Cancer.

These guys are brilliant. While they're not amazing singers, their charisma, their stage presence and their song writing are what makes up for it.

You'd miss the accordian.

These guys are brilliant. While they're not amazing singers, their charisma, their stage presence and their song writing are what makes up for it.

Very true. They'll be the first to admit they are not great shakes musically!

If they leave out "About You Now" then the show will have been a resounding success!

• Advertisement

Downtown - The Saw Doctors with Petula Clark

Advertisement