Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell unable to repair Desktop under warranty. Offering new comp

Options
2»

Comments

Forget about the value of the machine. You are entitled to something that can perform at the same level as the original one.

You don't have to be rude to these guys but you have to be assertive. Narrow it down to the important details. You had a fast quad core and a gaming grade card which will still perform quite well in modern games. Probably a high-end motherboard. What size PSU? How many SATA ports? etc etc

So you need to tell them - this what I want. "I bougt the original machine to do x, y and z and I want a replacement that is just as capable. If you can't offer than then I want a refund".

Do your homework - go onto Dell site and see what is available, because they're not going to offer you something they don't have. For example a GT620 is not a fair replacement for a GTX280. So stop the guy when he says it and tell him straight out that it's not an equivalent spec.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Forget about the value of the machine. You are entitled to something that can perform at the same level as the original one.

You don't have to be rude to these guys but you have to be assertive. Narrow it down to the important details. You had a fast quad core and a gaming grade card which will still perform quite well in modern games. Probably a high-end motherboard. What size PSU? How many SATA ports? etc etc

So you need to tell them - this what I want. "I bougt the original machine to do x, y and z and I want a replacement that is just as capable. If you can't offer than then I want a refund".

Do your homework - go onto Dell site and see what is available, because they're not going to offer you something they don't have. For example a GT620 is not a fair replacement for a GTX280. So stop the guy when he says it and tell him straight out that it's not an equivalent spec.

Trust me, I stopped him at every step of the way. He was just reading off a hymn sheet, and had nothing to offer me.

I'll be escalating this further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I would say the spec they gave minus the graphics card is about right being honest.

I'd say so, however, the problem with the new XPS is that you can't really put in a decent graphics card without a better PSU and that is usually not an option with a Dell computer (not certain with the new XPS). Your model was one of the last XPS marketed as "gaming computer" but with the purchase of Alienware, they have downgraded the XPS so they don't cut into their Alienware sales.

The 866 Euro they have calculated is more than the Alienware they have offered (€769). The Alienware with an Ivy Core i5 and a GTX 555Ti (although not a killer machine, it is a far better machine than your XPS) costs little over 1.000 Euro IIRC, maybe you can cut a deal on the difference.

This is the logic, they say the life of this machine is 5 years, or 60 months, so they divide the 4000 unit cost for the machine only by 60. And then multiply that figure by 13, which is the number of months left on the warranty.

Which gives us a figure of 866.66

Mind you, your machine was never worth 4 grand, even at the time. What was the price sans the extended warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I would highly recommend getting onto small claims court at this stage, or at least threatening them that you are going to.

I went through dells website to find a fair replacement. god theyre terrible, but anyway.

if you cant get a full refund, Id be looking for at least €1500.

I specced an "Alienware Aurora" for you in the PDF attached that I feel makes a fair replacement. To find it search for an alienware desktop and limit the search results to "2nd gen core i7". it'll be the only result. Its pretty much the bottom of the range, but with a soundcard upgrade and a GPU upgrade to a HD6870. its not an amazing GPU by this stage, but its a fair upgrade and today's equivalent from the GTX 280. any higher also costs stupid money. a 6870 costs around €150 new, but they'll argue its a €300 GPU.

youre kinda pushing your luck with the CPU. its an X79 i7, but its the only way to get a decent replacement. they dont stock an i5 2500K or a i5 3570K, which would be more reasonable and minimum I would accept. I would not take the i5-3450 they offer in their "X51" PC, and the Aurora doesnt come with anything less than an i7.

I left out a bluray player. its a gimmick to own, but you can use it as part of your bargaining with Dell. they value it as €210 apparently, so tell them they can keep it?

If you need any help give us a shout.

EDIT: total is €1479.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Dell's legal department will likely leave it until you're at court to do something about it but SmCC is probably not a bad idea.

That's a shocking amount of money to spend on a PC there would have been around €2000 - 2500 of pure profit in there for Dell. Least they can do now is give you a decent upgrade.

What would fail that would require a complete replacement of the PC (other than a PSU exploding) is beyond me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dell's legal department will likely leave it until you're at court to do something about it but SmCC is probably not a bad idea.

That's a shocking amount of money to spend on a PC there would have been around €2000 - 2500 of pure profit in there for Dell. Least they can do now is give you a decent upgrade.

What would fail that would require a complete replacement of the PC (other than a PSU exploding) is beyond me.

Liquid cooling failed, and they can't source the parts. Machine wasn't bought by me btw, it's a ridiculous piece of kit.

The guys i've been speaking with are too low level to do anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The guys i've been speaking with are too low level to do anything at this stage.

Subscribed to this thread :D

That's a shocking amount of money to spend on a PC there would have been around €2000 - 2500 of pure profit in there for Dell.

You seem to forget the extended warranty... but yeah, that pretty much sums it up, you might as well have ordered 2 such machines at the regular price and put one in storage for parts. ;)

Right, after speaking with the next level up in support, this is where I stand. I had to get them to forward me on the calculations for how they calculate the value of my XPS system.

This is it in a nutshell.

(4554*11)/60=835

4554 = The price paid for the original machine
    11 = the number of months left in the warranty on that system
    60 = 5 years (12 months) of depreciation. I only received this in email just now, so I have yet to speak with this guy again, but they are charging for the full 5 years depreciation, and not the 3 years 9 months which it actually is at this stage. So really this figure should be 45.

And even forgetting about this, this equation would mean that had these issues arisen in the final month of the warranty, the machine would have been worth 75 euro. What an absolute joke!

Waiting for a call back, as I can't contact there guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you checked your copy of the extended warranty? Get out the highlighter and ask for names that you can put down for the small claims court. Tell them you want your machine back, fixed, or a similar (or better) performing machine. If they can't do that, get them to put it in writing and let small claims handle it.

Doubt it will go much farther, sounds like they are taking the piss.

They can't "source" the spares, eh??? Eejits... :D

Dell XPS 730x H2C Liquid Cooling Fan & Heatsink PP749-A00... just 140 bucks on scAmazon. ;)

Lucky, they can't google. It would save 'em a fortune! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Torqay wrote: »

Dell XPS 730x H2C Liquid Cooling Fan & Heatsink PP749-A00... just 140 bucks on scAmazon. ;)

that's "currently unavailable".

Torqay wrote: »

That part isn't the same as what's in this machine though!

Yup, this is going to be difficult...835 is just a joke really.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    that's "currently unavailable".

Says here it's available...
    That part isn't the same as what's in this machine though!

What's the part no. of your model?

Advertisement