Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Foreign People in Irish Sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Gaizka Mendieta....poxy peno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Ray Houghton and Ray Houghton.

Two biggest goals in the history of the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Gary McKay

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Masal Bugduv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Seanchai wrote: »
    Stephen Roche actually won
    Who cares?

Jesus Christ, you must be joking. Why do you even watch sports if you don't care who wins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

It was, and remains, amazing that a country of 5-6 million people could produce somebody to win the premier competition of a genuinely worldwide sport. To me, Stephen Roche's victory is still the greatest by any Irish person in international sport - easily up there with the Olympic gold medals, and far surpassing any Irish soccer or rugby victories.

Tainted by the fact that Roche was found guilty in a French court of anti-doping violations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

:rolleyes:. Oh, and not to highlight your abject ignorance any further but Dennis Taylor represented Ireland in no fewer than three World Cups: 1985, 1986 and 1987.

maybe my memory is going but my boyhood recollection was him and mr higgins were play fur de north when they had a bit of a bust up. Or alex had a bust up more likely

Wouldnt swear on it in a court of law but that's my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Tainted by the fact that Roche was found guilty in a French court of anti-doping violations.
    Untrue, absolutley untrue.

Eusabio Pedroza lost his world title to Barry McGuigan at loftus Road in 85

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Chris Eubank & Nigel Benn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I remember for years in school, if you scored a jammy goal, all the other lads would say: "Look at Schillacci there!"

Bear in mind, we all would have been about 1 or 2 in 1990 so none of us could actually remember that game, we just had the story handed down to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Untrue, absolutley untrue.

Untrue but he was found guilty in an Italian court but the statute of limitations had elapsed and no action could be taken.

Regardless of drug taking, I'd have rated Kelly as the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Gaizka Mendieta....poxy peno

Not as poxy as Ian Hartes in normal time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

John 3:16 seems to appear at nearly every Irish sporting occasion. I believe he's a furriner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Thierry Henry mentioned yet?

And Roy Keane. He's not Irish; he's Corkonian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

kfallon wrote: »
    I was just saying to me sister in law in bed this morning......

What the ?

Anyway - My most famous foreigner in Irish sport is Lester Piggott.

He rode a shítload of winners for Vincent O'Brien including 4 Derby victories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Pherekydes wrote: »

And Roy Keane. He's not Irish; he's Corkonian.

And they can fcuking have him.

GerM wrote: »
    Untrue but he was found guilty in an Italian court but the statute of limitations had elapsed and no action could be taken.

Regardless of drug taking, I'd have rated Kelly as the greatest.
    Again untrue, he was never found guilty in any court in any country.
    One french magistrate said he believed that Roche was administered epo in 1993 but because of the statute of limitations he could neither charge nor prosecute Roche.

Columbia wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, you must be joking. Why do you even watch sports if you don't care who wins?

Go back and read it again.

That comment wasnt made about Stephen Roche

Lapin wrote: »
    What the ?

Anyway - My most famous foreigner in Irish sport is Lester Piggott.

He rode a shítload of winners for Vincent O'Brien including 4 Derby victories.

As opposed to his sister in law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Russian bloke that Eamon Coghlan ran past on the final bend of his World Championships 5000m, that he took a look at him and raised his arms in the air as he ran past him.

No clue what his name was but remember very clearly what he looks like, had nerdy glasses you would never see on an athlete nowadays. Finished fourth in the end.

Al Blue Lewis, fought Muhammed Ali in Croker in the 1970s.

Kenenisa Bekele, (arguably) greatest long distance runner of all time who took the first of five world cross championship wins in Dublin in 2002.

David Campese: scored a last minute try to deny Ireland what would have been their greatest ever rugby victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    .David Campese: scored a last minute try to deny Ireland what would have been their greatest ever rugby victory.

I'm not a big rugby fan at all, but I watched that game, and it was the first thing that popped into my head when reading this thread.

Couldn't remember his name though, as I said - not a big rugger fan.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,067 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

David Campese: scored a last minute try to deny Ireland what would have been their greatest ever rugby victory.

Wasn't Campese! it was Michael Lynagh.

The amount of people who thought it was Campese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'd say Roberto Baggio.

In that he was considered the best player in the world at the time,
    but got completely shut out by a 34 year old Paul McGrath at USA 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wim Jonk and his 30yarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Russian bloke that Eamon Coghlan ran past on the final bend of his World Championships 5000m, that he took a look at him and raised his arms in the air as he ran past him..

When i was around 8 or so i was running at the community games. I was in last place at the turn but overtook the lad in front of me to finish 2nd last. My da told me i was just like eamon coghlan. I dont think ive felt as proud since! Looking back in hindsight, he was probably just saying it so i wouldnt cry for being so shíte at athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Adam Thompson, the man who ran in the last try of NZ's record win of 60-0 against the overrated pampered Paddies.

A dark day indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Adam Thompson, the man who ran in the last try of NZ's record win of 60-0 against the overrated pampered Paddies.

A dark day indeed.
    No, no it wasn't!

As a former rugby player I fully aware that the vast majority of Irish people had no idea that the game even took place.

Don't call them paddies ether, they are Irishmen representing their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Eddie Irvine
    No, no it wasn't!

yes it was, it was embarrassingly bad and you could see it on their faces that they all knew it too. However it's the only time of those 3 matches that the Kiwi interviewed weren't up their own holes about winning.
    They still take the piss about it in work every week (i'm in NZ)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Eddie Irvine

yes it was, it was embarrassingly bad and you could see it on their faces that they all knew it too. However it's the only time of those 3 matches that the Kiwi interviewed weren't up their own holes about winning.
    They still take the piss about it in work every week (i'm inNZ)
    My point is that 95% of Irish people did not even care! It hardly even made the news here with Euro 2012 and GAA championship. If we beat New Zealand 3-0 in soccer who in Auckland would care?

Advertisement