Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** first years UCD,what courses you beginning in September**

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

Chagan wrote: »
    Sport and Exercise Management. There doesn't seem to be anybody else on here doing it though.

Great course, am currently going into 2nd year - you will love it. Make sure OT make friends with the 2nd years, they will give you tips and advise on how to approach assignments, lecturers etc...!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Aoife_

Law and Business !:) Nerves are kicking in now !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Timbuk3

Eathrin wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'll be studying Actuarial and Financial Studies next year.

I'm going into 3rd year BAFS! You'll love it, make sure you go to all the society events, any questions give me a shout! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

Timbuk3 wrote: »
    I'm going into 3rd year BAFS! You'll love it, make sure you go to all the society events, any questions give me a shout! :)

hi dave ....... see you in september ;)
    try not to end up in hospital after the actuary pub crawl this year ..cant take the drink at all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 syna7x

Psychology anyone?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I've been told it'd be handy to speak to others in the years above about the course.
    I'd always planned on being very active in societies so you needn't worry! What type of events are organised?
    Also do you tell people you're doing BAFS (Baffs) or spell it out for them Actuarial & Financial studies?:pac:
    Being in 3rd year now, are you soon taking up a work placement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eckhart

Medicine :) and I can confidently say that I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I've been told it'd be handy to speak to others in the years above about the course.
    I'd always planned on being very active in societies so you needn't worry! What type of events are organised?
    Also do you tell people you're doing BAFS (Baffs) or spell it out for them Actuarial & Financial studies?:pac:

Yes definitely go to all the society events, I'm the vice auditor for the society this year and it's goin to be the best year ever! :p

And as Tim said if you've any questions give me a shout, I'm going into 4th year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Timbuk3

Well during my previous two years, I found the society did a great job organising events. We have many events such as the Pub Crawl, Mystery Tour, and the Actuary Ball of course! We had BYOB Bowling organised the previous two year too which was great criac! :)

I'd usually tell people I'm studying Actuarial & Financial Studies if they ask, but most of us within the course would simply refer to it as BAFS (baffs)!

Yeah work placement will start in January, and interviews / applications will occur between September and January! Many of us have also taken some sort of internship/experience this summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 galwaygirl.

Any one for ag science?

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    Yes definitely go to all the society events, I'm the vice auditor for the society this year and it's goin to be the best year ever! :p

And as Tim said if you've any questions give me a shout, I'm going into 4th year :)

Are society events frequent through the year?
    Looking forward to seeing your masterplan:P
    Well during my previous two years, I found the society did a great job organising events. We have many events such as the Pub Crawl, Mystery Tour, and the Actuary Ball of course! We had BYOB Bowling organised the previous two year too which was great criac! :)

I'd usually tell people I'm studying Actuarial & Financial Studies if they ask, but most of us within the course would simply refer to it as BAFS (baffs)!

Yeah work placement will start in January, and interviews / applications will occur between September and January! Many of us have also taken some sort of internship/experience this summer too.

Does the university provide a number of affiliate firms of which to apply to or is that left entirely to the students?
    I'd like to do work experience abroad, but it would have to be paid work placement for that to be possible.

Are society events frequent through the year?
    Looking forward to seeing your masterplan:P

Does the university provide a number of affiliate firms of which to apply to or is that left entirely to the students?
    I'd like to do work experience abroad, but it would have to be paid work placement for that to be possible.

Yeah we have a fair few! Couple of things up our sleeves, so make sure and join the soc!

The companies normally contact the university and they put the job applications on blackboard, then it's up to the students to apply. They do welcome you going after your own placement too, say if you know someone somewhere. You have to take the first one you're offered, so don't apply for something you dont want. This year over half our class were placed by October, which was good. 3 people went to London and one to Boston. If you're going somewhere where you need a visa I'm 95% sure it's your responsibility to organise the visa, which can be difficult within the timeframes.

Most placements are paid, I havent heard of anywhere that's not paid. It's great craic. I'm finishing my placement now on Friday and it's going to be so weird going back to college! But I can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

Computer Science, terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Yeah we have a fair few! Couple of things up our sleeves, so make sure and join the soc!

The companies normally contact the university and they put the job applications on blackboard, then it's up to the students to apply. They do welcome you going after your own placement too, say if you know someone somewhere. You have to take the first one you're offered, so don't apply for something you dont want. This year over half our class were placed by October, which was good. 3 people went to London and one to Boston. If you're going somewhere where you need a visa I'm 95% sure it's your responsibility to organise the visa, which can be difficult within the timeframes.

Most placements are paid, I havent heard of anywhere that's not paid. It's great craic. I'm finishing my placement now on Friday and it's going to be so weird going back to college! But I can't wait :)

I'd love to go to London next year for work experience. Do you know how much they get paid by any chance? Just thinking if I'll be able to live off there just from the wages...

Also, in my case would you advise to just apply to London positions then? I was thinking as a safeguard to apply to some in Dublin, but since you mentioned that you have to take the first offered I'm no longer sure I should do that at all!

Thank you! :o

Yuugib wrote: »

I'd love to go to London next year for work experience. Do you know how much they get paid by any chance? Just thinking if I'll be able to live off there just from the wages...

Also, in my case would you advise to just apply to London positions then? I was thinking as a safeguard to apply to some in Dublin, but since you mentioned that you have to take the first offered I'm no longer sure I should do that at all!

Thank you! :o

Everywhere pays differently, in general the wages are a lot higher than here, one position was for £24k per annum, which is a fair amount more than what we're getting in Dublin :P although the cost of living there is quite high!

Apply for London first and then see about Dublin - you don't want to find yourself without a job and all the positions have been filled!

You'll find it all out when you go back anyway, it'll be drilled into you :)

Everywhere pays differently, in general the wages are a lot higher than here, one position was for £24k per annum, which is a fair amount more than what we're getting in Dublin :P although the cost of living there is quite high!

Apply for London first and then see about Dublin - you don't want to find yourself without a job and all the positions have been filled!

I'd love to work in the USA for a while. I wouldn't be too fussy about money either, 24k is loads to live on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Hahah, I shall look forward to that drilling then! Thanks for the info! :D
    Can I ask what area did you get the placement in? Life, general, etc? Any comments? :P

Yuugib wrote: »

Hahah, I shall look forward to that drilling then! Thanks for the info! :D
    Can I ask what area did you get the placement in? Life, general, etc? Any comments? :P

I'm in Life. Definitely want to do life when I'm finished! Most people stick with the area they do in placement, but not all the time!

I've learnt a lot on placement, definitely - I was very lucky and got placed on a team that covers a range of things so I got to see lots of things. On the other hand, the company I'm in is quite big and I'd like to work in a smaller one so I can experience a little bit more!

I'd love to work in the USA for a while. I wouldn't be too fussy about money either, 24k is loads to live on anyway.

It sounds it, but when half of it is going on rent and you still have travel etc to pay for it can be tight. Most places salaries are in line with living costs anyway so it should be fine.

One thing about the USA is getting a visa sorted, a guy in my class had to give up his job offer cos there wasn't enough time between him being offered the job and getting a work visa. Most people that go to the US have a passport already. It's not impossible to do it by any means, you just need to be on the ball :)

It sounds it, but when half of it is going on rent and you still have travel etc to pay for it can be tight. Most places salaries are in line with living costs anyway so it should be fine.

One thing about the USA is getting a visa sorted, a guy in my class had to give up his job offer cos there wasn't enough time between him being offered the job and getting a work visa. Most people that go to the US have a passport already. It's not impossible to do it by any means, you just need to be on the ball :)

I am SO bad at being on the ball.
    So could I actually apply for a visa in advance of work placement searching?
    Thanks for all the info:)

Also, is first year very much mixed with students doing other degrees and 2nd-4th year very much the class alone? That's how the website makes it out to be.

• Advertisement

I am SO bad at being on the ball.
    So could I actually apply for a visa in advance of work placement searching?
    Thanks for all the info:)

Also, is first year very much mixed with students doing other degrees and 2nd-4th year very much the class alone? That's how the website makes it out to be.

Yeah, first year is mixed, as far as I can remember there's no modules just for your class. In second year there's one or two and then third and fourth year are mainly just actuaries, with the odd mixed class.

No problem, if you've any questions at all just ask :) I think I'll be at the welcome breakfast next Wednesday too!

Re the visa, it depends on if we get a job spec from an American company, unless you can organise it yourself. The placement co-ordinator will be better able to tell you than I will, but you've a while yet :) make the most out of first year while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Peteasy

Got accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SayWhattt?

Commerce & Merville anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ianisation

anyone else for actuary? cant wait to start :)

ianisation wrote: »
    anyone else for actuary? cant wait to start :)

Yes, I am. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement