Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating system for new build

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fclauson wrote: »
    Remember into this mix you have to add Part L compliance

so if you go oil - you will need solar or something to provide your Part L - so the calc has to take this into account too

That's why its not always as easy -
    oil = €x
    GSHp = €Y

as to "x" you would have to add your renewable souce 10kwh/M2 where as your "y" might (or might not) give it to you

ah yes.... but now we can add some solar equivilent to space heating.

and we all know how hard it is for heat pumps to comply with Part L ;)
    even harder with 2011 part L.

This will probably throw the debate skew ways, but with condensing wood pellet boilers now being available, they make 2011 part L compliance a hell of a lot easier to reach.
    plus as a per kwhr cost they are less subject to inflation AND carbon tax... lets not forget carbon tax is built into electricity costs at source ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I'd have to agree with Syd, albeit wood pellets are likely to be subject to inflation as much as anything else when supply and demand is taken into account along with production & transport costs etc.
    If one has enough land to plant and time for harvesting, wood gasification boilers make a lot of sense if you have a large heat load to meet and installing extra insulation is not economic. As close to immune from energy price rises / carbon taxes etc as one could hope to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

lnos1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice about heating system for a new build. I have just got planning and I am considering having a cavity of 300mm with pumped bead insulation. As far as my understanding goes, it'll bring our U value down to about 0.12. The windows will have a U value of about 1.3. We'll also have a Heat Recovery System. I'll have a pre-cast first floor.
    I have been considering putting in underfloor heating on the ground floor, using an air-to-water system to heat it. However, I would like radiators upstairs.
    One of the rooms will have a stove in it, and the kitchen will have a range.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to heat radiators using a stove (solid fuel)? Or would it be wiser to have an oil range that will heat radiators upstairs?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lar
    Hi Lar.
    First and foremost good luck with the build. How are you going about it? Direct labour or contractor? Are you using an architect? Has your house been designed using passive house principles? I appreciate your dilemma regarding the windows.

Some items that are missing from your list above is a target airtightness level and measures to combat thermal bridging. Get an energy assessor on board to help strike a balance between all the elements of the build and calculate your energy requirement. I'll PM you a recommendation if you want. Only at that stage can you really look at the various heating options. And.... read back through loads of the threads on boards.ie. The live self-builds is an especially good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Lar

I'm just picking up on the fact you've a mis-match of items in your opening post. Whilst a small stove can suit a low energy build, a range would be over the the top and one of the most energy inefficient options available.

Advertisement