Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A peacock or two

Options
  • 08-08-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

I'm musing over the idea of getting a couple of peacocks, for no greater reason other than they are nice to look at. We have a brood of Bantams already so it wouldn't be for eggs, unless peahen eggs are valuable or delicious...
    Does anyone who keeps peafowl have any advice? Do they require a lot more work than chickens and are they more of a target for foxes/dogs than your average hen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

some good general info onmline. peacocks can be v loud so if neighbours are close by they may not appreciate. just something to be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I knew people that had them before. I remember that they loved been up on top of their cars. Quite the mess and damage as they are large enough otherwise they were easy keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

marizpan wrote: »
    I knew people that had them before. I remember that they loved been up on top of their cars. Quite the mess and damage as they are large enough otherwise they were easy keep.

Good to know about the mess - I might have enough of that with my chickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

a friend of mine had one years ago but had to move it on as it used to sit up on his workshop and swoop down at people it didn't know. (customers). he said it was a noisy yoke too. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Unless you live in a very lonely spot without too many visitors, I wouldn't. Apart from attacking people they can also attack cars and I know someone who's peacock attacked and killed their labrador. They like to roost in trees and are very territorial. You'd have a job getting them into a shed at night. I know someone else with a peacock and they keep him confined in a shed. A sad life I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Unless you live in a very lonely spot without too many visitors, I wouldn't. Apart from attacking people they can also attack cars and I know someone who's peacock attacked and killed their labrador. They like to roost in trees and are very territorial. You'd have a job getting them into a shed at night. I know someone else with a peacock and they keep him confined in a shed. A sad life I think.

Thanks for that - puts it into perspective for me. I don't need even the possibility of something attacking the other animals. Also I really don't want that job of getting a peacock into a shed! Good points!! No peacock for me.

Advertisement