Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on overtime for cuh's junior doctors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

emm...and is this medical school in IE? I would hardly say doctors here take time out of their busy days to teach in these teaching hospitals. There are exceptions but generally the Irish consultants and especially the NCHDs don't bother with students much less know your name.

While I rarely got much teaching from consultants (except in those last few months of final year), the whole bedrock of my clinical teaching came from NCHDs. People who weren't getting paid for it taking time out of their day to teach. The teaching ethos of medicine is important to me, and gives me pride in my profession. It's something I've tried to carry over to my own practice, and that's when I realised how difficult it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corkscrew12

chanste wrote: »
    I disagree. I've only been a student in 2 hospitals so far (Tullamore and MWRH Limerick) but I've generally found that any time I've been stuck with something the NCHDs have been more than willing to give 10-15 mins of their time to help out. On 2 occasions myself and other students have been stopped in the halls by NCHDs offering to put on a class for us (its prob worth something for their CV, but the point stands - they offer to help)

Consider yourself lucky. Tullamore and MWRH must be great teaching hospitals, the NCHDs I've had at CUH with some exception are completely useless and you can tell they hate teaching and don't want to be bothered with students. Too bad there aren't student feedback or reviews we can give at the end of each rotation.

I've found some consultants more willing to teach than some of the NCHDs I've encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corkscrew12

While I rarely got much teaching from consultants (except in those last few months of final year), the whole bedrock of my clinical teaching came from NCHDs. People who weren't getting paid for it taking time out of their day to teach. The teaching ethos of medicine is important to me, and gives me pride in my profession. It's something I've tried to carry over to my own practice, and that's when I realised how difficult it can be.

Well...isn't teaching lower ranking doctors a part of the job description? Lower ranking doctors are trained by higher ranks thats how it works in any reputable hospital worldwide. Doctors don't simply train themselves.

I think its wonderful you take pride in teaching and it sounds you'd make a terrific leader, but not all NCHDs share that view. I swear there are a handful who run at the sight of med students and I've met my fair share of these <snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

[QUOTE=corkscrew12;81460475]Well...isn't teaching lower ranking doctors a part of the job description? Lower ranking doctors are trained by higher ranks thats how it works in any reputable hospital worldwide. Doctors don't simply train themselves.

I think its wonderful you take pride in teaching and it sounds you'd make a terrific leader, but not all NCHDs share that view. I swear there are a handful who run at the sight of med students and I've met my fair share of these <snip>.[/QUOTE]

It is, but it certainly isn't part of the contract!

Advertisement