Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll reveals less than half of Irish people consider themselves to be religious

Options
  • 07-08-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/survey-claims-many-irish-people-are-questioning-faith-562085.html

Annoyingly short on details though. Can't find any details of the poll online except for a few other news sites that posted results for their respective countries.

Unsurprisingly there's a strong negative correlation between education, income & religiousity - i.e. those better educated and earning more are less likely to be religious.

Annoyingly though the poll seems to have added "atheist" in as a third option, i.e. "Religious", "Not religious" and "atheist". Which to me calls the whole bloody thing into doubt since being athiest does not exclude being religious or irreligious.

I'll see if I can find any further details of the survey.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Less than half of Irish people would consider themselves to be religious

Where were all these people when the last census was being filled out!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Beruthiel wrote: »

at home with mammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Ticking the 'Catholic' box apparently.
    People don't fully appreciate the difference between 'religion' and 'family tradition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Poll reveals less than half of Irish people consider themselves to be religious

Thank god christ Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Honestly wasn't surprised by this story. It's something we've been saying since the census results came out; showing not only that the census results are WRONG, that other people are filling out the forms for other people and also that the phrasing of the question was poor and ambiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

seamus wrote: »
    I'll see if I can find any further details of the survey.

From Red C website:
    Irish citizens are far less likely to claim that they are religious, according to the latest global poll released by WIN-Gallup International, a world-wide network of leading opinion pollsters represented in Ireland by RED C.

Ireland now rates themselves as one of the least religious countries in the poll. 59% of the world said that they think of themselves as religious person, 23% think of themselves as not religious whereas 13% think of themselves as convinced atheists.

However, when we compare this to the Irish population, only 47% consider themselves religious, placing Ireland low on the index of being religious coming in at position 43 out of 57 countries.

The question was last asked in Ireland in 2005, when 69% considered themselves religious. As such, there has been a significant decline of 22% who no longer feel they are religious.

Source

Direct Link to PDF of the report

EDIT: report indicates that Ireland is in the top 11 of countries with the largest percentage of atheists as part of the population.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

This story has made my feckin day, Ted.

Let me read it again....."The Republic of Ireland is abandoning religion faster than almost every other country worldwide"

Aahhhhh.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Newstalk wheeled out John Waters as their religious talking head to discuss this on the Breakfast Show... I can't really summarise what he said, because I'm not entirely sure. Some stuff about how the terminology of the survey wasn't... good...

He did come out with a doozie about how atheists are idiots who haven't thought about the important questions in life.

He ended with a challenge to those who want to do away with the Catholic Church: what will you replace it with?

[God] knows, it must be replaced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

science dam you!!!

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Newstalk wheeled out John Waters as their religious talking head to discuss this on the Breakfast Show... I can't really summarise what he said, because I'm not entirely sure. Some stuff about how the terminology of the survey wasn't... good...

He did come out with a doozie about how atheists are idiots who haven't thought about the important questions in life.

He ended with a challenge to those who want to do away with the Catholic Church: what will you replace it with?

The main thing I took from his segment on the show was "philosophy=religion", which would make everyone religious as everyone has a personal philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

David Quinn, John Waters, Eamon Casey, Youth Defence, Sean Brady....your boys are taking a hell of a beating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

That's because the interview was nothing more than a rambling monologue. I was deeply disappointed with Shane Coleman who said/asked practically nothing and seemed to be completely enthralled with Waters who described atheists as the "stupid" people in Ireland.

It was so ironic listening to him calling for "discussion" in what was easily the most imbalanced interview I've every heard on Newstalk with the most inappropriate pundit on the subject.

And yes, as Koth said, he completely fails to see the difference between philosophy and religion.

Would have been laughable if it wasn't so rare to get the chance to discuss atheism (or just the decline of religion!) in a situation like this.

koth wrote: »
    Direct Link to PDF of the report

EDIT: report indicates that Ireland is in the top 11 of countries with the largest percentage of atheists as part of the population.

Hang on! Waters was banging on about how misleading the survey was because it used the word "religiosity" which confused people or implied a sort of religious devoutness/fanatacism.

But the actual question was simply:
    Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious persons or a convinced atheist?

You'd think an interviewer would know what the feckin' question polled was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Am I an idiot or is there no data for the UK in that survey?

doctoremma wrote: »
    Am I an idiot or is there no data for the UK in that survey?

It's more a press release from Red C Research, an Irish PR company, than the actual report (which I can't find yet in complete form).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

LittleBook wrote: »
    It's more a press release from Red C Research, an Irish PR company, than the actual report (which I can't find yet in complete form).
    Sure, but the summary data from G7 countries includes only six. I wonder if we weren't asked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tom Dunne will be talking about this as well on News Talk.

I ****ing hate him though so not sure I'll manage to stick through it.

LittleBook wrote: »
    That's because the interview was nothing more than a rambling monologue. I was deeply disappointed with Shane Coleman who said/asked practically nothing and seemed to be completely enthralled with Waters who described atheists as the "stupid" people in Ireland.

It was so ironic listening to him calling for "discussion" in what was easily the most imbalanced interview I've every heard on Newstalk with the most inappropriate pundit on the subject.

And yes, as Koth said, he completely fails to see the difference between philosophy and religion.

Would have been laughable if it wasn't so rare to get the chance to discuss atheism (or just the decline of religion!) in a situation like this.

Totally agreed.

My letter to the IT:
    Sir,

I await with bated breath John Waters' latest bloviations regarding the recent and dramatic decline in religious self-identity here in Ireland, as revealed yesterday by the WIN-Gallup Global Index on Religion and Atheism, which your paper has curiously failed to report on. The results show that 47% of Irish people responded in the affirmative when asked if they would consider themselves a religious person (irrespective of church attendance, etc.). This is significantly below the global average of 59%, placing us 43rd out of the 57 countries indexed, and is a massive decline from the 69% that the same survey revealed in 2005.

This raises many interesting points which need to be considered, among them the relevance of the Census in determining religious identity. Many publications, including your own, uncritically echoed the CSO's interpretation of the 2011 results as evidence of a country still rooted in Catholic tradition, despite the ever-declining Church attendance numbers, and changing demographics. The many problems with the Census question on religion were flagged in advance, in particular by Atheist Ireland, but they were largely brushed aside. Now we see the results of a survey which ask a more relevant question, to adults only, and we get a better picture of Ireland's religiosity. Furthermore, Census aside, it is an inescapable fact that there has been a 22% drop from 2005 for the same question.

Having had a glimpse at Mr. Waters' response to the survey's findings, on the radio this morning, I expect his column will largely sidestep the issue with semantics and sophistry. However, there was a revelatory moment at the end of his radio appearance (well, two, as he also saw fit to make a disparaging and insulting remark about atheists), as he asked his "gotcha" question, where he challenged the non-religious to come up with a replacement for the Catholic Church. Ignoring for a moment the implicit assumption that every country must have some some kind of religious identity or it will surely fall (most Northern European and Scandinavian countries would disagree), this challenge suggests that Waters is accepting the fact that we're entering a post-Catholic period in this country. Sounds good, John. I'm on board with that.

Yours, etc.,

Tom Dunne will be talking about this as well on News Talk.

I ****ing hate him though so not sure I'll manage to stick through it.

Cheers, I'm listening begrudgingly...

If anyone hears of them discussing it elsewhere, post up and let us know!

• Advertisement

It seems that Michael Nugent will be on Newstalk around noon to discuss the survey. Will post up more info if they announce exactly when he's on.

doctoremma wrote: »
    Sure, but the summary data from G7 countries includes only six. I wonder if we weren't asked!

Oh yeah! Interesting. :confused:

Mick Nugent has been and gone on the Lunchtime show on Newstalk.

Pretty tame 'debate' between him and a Catholic priest who appears to be pretty disillusioned with the Church! Michael made some good points, nothing too controversial, they didn't disagree much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Totally agreed.

My letter to the IT:
    I await with bated breath John Waters' latest bloviations

That too is pretty bloviatious. ;)

eh, hello, I'm trying to get published in the Irish Times! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i actually thought 'convinced atheist' was a bit of strange phrase, i am probably one but i know that isn't quite right, i google the phrase and every page it appear on was a religious one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In fairness, he may have a point. I am not saying a country should replace a religion with another religion, and that if religion cannot be replaced we should keep it.

I think the point he was trying to make was that what set of ethics, values and standards would we put in place instead of it, if any? Or would we just see what happens?

Nations cannot exist without a common set of values and ideology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jank wrote: »
    In fairness, he may have a point. I am not saying a country should replace a religion with another religion, and that if religion cannot be replaced we should keep it.

I think the point he was trying to make was that what set of ethics, values and standards would we put in place instead of it, if any? Or would we just see what happens?

They're called laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I really don't think the majority of Irish people share their ethics or values with the Catholic Church... If we did; divorce , the dreaded sodomy, contraceptives and Ivf would be illegal.... Ethics and the likes haven't developed solely from religion. In terms of the values of the church, they're rather warped and nonsensical the majority of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Alright, I'm gonna say it because no one else seems willing to: There is no way you are an atheist. Give it up. you're fooling nobody coming out with cack like that.

Advertisement