Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoemaking

Options
  • 07-08-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm interested in becoming a shoemaker. I'm based in Dublin and wondering does anyone know of anywhere that would take on an apprentice or courses in Dublin or around the country.

thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lledar

I don't know of any courses in Dublin but there is a great course in London at Prescott and McKay. Have done a bag making course there which was excellent. More info on their website. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I know a friend of mine who is a master shoemaker of the highest calibre, and currently lives in England. He is possibly moving to Ireland in the near future, and would be interested in passing on his skills. I know he may be interested in coming to Ireland for a week or two to teach an introductory course, if there was interest from a small group to cover his expenses.

kadman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 anamica

I'm interested in becoming a shoemaker. I'm based in Dublin and wondering does anyone know of anywhere that would take on an apprentice or courses in Dublin or around the country.

thanks alot

Hi Colm

I am the traditional shoemaker that Kadman mentioned earlier, I have one student already from Newry who has been to me for several instruction.

I make shoes and boots by hand 90% using tried and tested techniques from yesteryear, how to design, to measuring, to walking tall.

Skills like Irish linen waxed twin threads using pigs whiskers as needles, right through to the waisted in-steps designs seen on shoe by the likes of Lobbs of London and Vass of Budapest, entirely by hand and hand machining at a much slower pace than a modern sweat shop.

I was trained by a seventh generation shoemaker/cordwainer, myself six and a half years ago, and have been making all my families shoe ever since, we also make medieval footware and leather goods too.

As a toolmaker originally, I will also show you how to make all your own hand tooling here in house, saving much retail therapy, the full package to become an independant and alternative crafts wo/man, what you need and where to get it.

Anamika.

Welcome anamica,

When you get settled in, and familiar with your surroundings, maybe you might post up some pics of what you make, I know they will be very much welcomed here. If you need any help with anything just send me a pm.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Welcome anamica,

When you get settled in, and familiar with your surroundings, maybe you might post up some pics of what you make, I know they will be very much welcomed here. If you need any help with anything just send me a pm.

kadman
    Thanks for the welcome.

There are several items of footware that I have made at the link below, not sure how to post pictures here, so I will include all my crafts school album.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/8534422@N06/

Slan.

• Advertisement

anamica wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome.

There are several items of footware that I have made at the link below, not sure how to post pictures here, so I will include all my crafts school album.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/8534422@N06/

Slan.

Just go advanced/manage attachments, and select files for upload from your end.

kadman

I cant open the link, but thats probably because I dont have a flickr account

I have an account now, but still nothing

Just go advanced/manage attachments, and select files for upload from your end.

kadman

Haha

Trying it

lightbox

Haha

Trying it

lightbox

Try harder.:D

• Advertisement

Found them for you.

Bloody nice mate, bloody nice.

Found them for you.

Bloody nice mate, bloody nice.

Unfortunately my android won't let me add from file, please could you add a few more from page 7.

Unfortunately my android won't let me add from file, please could you add a few more from page 7.

I,m having trouble getting the pics, as they are copywrited:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8534422@N06/page4/

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I went inro the Bagpiper's account and saw the the pictures. Thats some incredible shoes you made. Serious talent there I must say. I hope you do come to Ireland and set up shop here.

I went inro the Bagpiper's account and saw the the pictures. Thats some incredible shoes you made. Serious talent there I must say. I hope you do come to Ireland and set up shop here.

I am just en-route to setting up a shoe shop in my home town, the latest student has just been given his grandfathers old antique shop since he passed.

When we are sorted will be running part or full courses for budding cordwainers, all without electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I am just en-route to setting up a shoe shop in my home town, the latest student has just been given his grandfathers old antique shop since he passed.

When we are sorted will be running part or full courses for budding cordwainers, all without electricity.

Will this be in UK or ROI anamica?

Predoninantly in the Uk, maybe in ROI if a venue could be found, nearest airport to me Newcastle 25 pounds Ryan Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 janinka55

Hi Guys, any update on show making course in Dublin/ Ireland? I have done weekend course in London and would like to continue. let me know. Thx

• Advertisement

janinka55 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, any update on show making course in Dublin/ Ireland? I have done weekend course in London and would like to continue. let me know. Thx

Weekend course with who where, and how did things go for you. What was the content of the course.

Input, input, input:P

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2 janinka55

Hi there, I did the course "I can make shoes" in London.... And was great! I made one pair of womans shoes. From my design to finish in one weekend. so far I got my lasts and some exuipment but haven't continued since...do you run any courses?
    Weekend course with who where, and how did things go for you. What was the content of the course.

Input, input, input:P

kadman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

I'm interested in shoemodelling/shoemaking course in Dublin area. I know there is no such course around. So, I'm just trying to figure out if there is a demand for fashion shoemaking training/masterclasses before I try to organize some 5-10 days intensive course with experienced fashion shoe-making tutor from abroad. I know one professional who was trained in Italy and has been working as a shoemaker, teaching in fashion college and taking part in shows for more than 10 years. But before I aproach this person I want to know if there would be other people who interested in this course. You can contact me via PM if you'd like to attend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am trying to contact anamica but I see he has been banned! I have tried linking through his bagpiper pics account, but not sure if this will work. If anyone has any info I would be glad to hear from him.

looksee wrote: »
    I am trying to contact anamica but I see he has been banned! I have tried linking through his bagpiper pics account, but not sure if this will work. If anyone has any info I would be glad to hear from him.

He is a good personal friend, so pm me , and I,ll pass on your message.:)

Here is only my second pair of shoes made, and just heeled and soled today. Just needs laces, insoles, and a good clean and polish.

And all under anamica's guidance, across the net:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kossim

Hi there, I am also interested on shoemaking courses in Dublin. So, if kadman could arrange with anamica something or cocoa123 could come in contact with the professional that he/she knows, I believe that there would be people to support these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I would like to hear about any courses anamica is running too. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zsubabus

hello anamica,

I am very interested in shoe making also and quite hard to find a course or a shoe master who willing to teach this beautiful craft. So I am just wondering if you still interested in having a new student. Please let me know!Suzi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 zsubabus

oh, Ive just seen anamica s banned, so kadman maybe could you pass my message also to him? Thanks a million!Suzi

Advertisement