Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good gyms in Cork

Options
  • 06-08-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good gym in Cork.

By good I mean a torture room with heavy weights, simple dump bells, simple barbells, and members who are huge and know what it is about to work well to gain the muscle they want. I'm not looking for a girlish like gym.

Please tell me where to find such a gym in Cork.

Regards

E.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

You could try this...

http://www.bullandfiddlefitness.com/

For the record,,I don't,and have never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 breadbrain

Fitness worx in Douglas is definitely one of the best gyms i have ever gone to. Has serious amount of equipment, and the guy who work there are well up to speed on all things gym related.

Its not membership so you can go and see what you think first which is good. Its open from 6am as i usually go before work and have never had to wai for equipment to become available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bull and fiddle is really expensive!

Depends on what you want the gym for.

I'd say the Mardyke Arena is the best gym I've used in Cork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NRG on the western road

Whereabouts are you looking....there's quite a few decent gyms around the city and suburbs......here's a few that I know that are quite good...

Ballincollig (west of city)- Dennehys Health & Fitness
    Carrigaliine (south of city) - Catalyst Health & Fitness
    Douglas (south of city) - Fitness Worx
    City Centre......mardyke probably the best, but PACKED during college term. Planet in blackpool supposed to be well equipped.

I'm gonna cheekily plug my own place in Midleton, East Cork - Train Station Gym.

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    Bull and fiddle is really expensive!

Depends on what you want the gym for.

I'd say the Mardyke Arena is the best gym I've used in Cork.

Yeah,,Bull and Fitness prices put Us well off..I don't think it's worth it at all,to be honest.

The Mardyke arena is €490 for a single person..

LesuireWorld in Bishopstown can give single membership for €320*

*Based on being unemployed.

Yeah, the bull and fiddle is ridiculously expensive, and there's no way its anywhere near are good as the mardyke.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Yeah, the bull and fiddle is ridiculously expensive, and there's no way its anywhere near are good as the mardyke.

Stop saying that....Your tempting Me now...

I might have to start saving..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

emmapgym wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a good gym in Cork.

By good I mean a torture room with heavy weights, simple dump bells, simple barbells, and members who are huge and know what it is about to work well to gain the muscle they want. I'm not looking for a girlish like gym.

Please tell me where to find such a gym in Cork.

Regards

E.

NRG is good, classes are included in membership which is the main reason I joined! I recently went to Energized in Togher and found it brill, went to bootcamp classes, results for fatloss and muscle gain were fantastic!

newbee22 wrote: »
    NRG is good, classes are included in membership which is the main reason I joined! I recently went to Energized in Togher and found it brill, went to bootcamp classes, results for fatloss and muscle gain were fantastic!

I noticed they have removed the prices from their webpage..

Last time I checked it would have worked out at about €1,000 for the year.

Can you confirm this,or better again,,,correct Me if I'm wrong?

• Advertisement

For nrg is it?! No defo not 1000 for the year! Tbh honest i cant remember the exact price because i paid last october so cant remember but it definately wasnt 1000 or anywhere near to it!

newbee22 wrote: »
    For nrg is it?! No defo not 1000 for the year! Tbh honest i cant remember the exact price because i paid last october so cant remember but it definately wasnt 1000 or anywhere near to it!

No,,,for Energized..

Sorry,,I should have been a bit more clear about it.

The locker room is ok, location is good. No parking which is a problem for a lot of people. The equipment could do with an upgrade. It's around 400 or 500 a year afaik.

The Mardyke is my favourite, good range of equipment, pool, squash courts, classes, sauna, steamroom etc. I pay €43 a month for a gym membership there, it's €56 a month for gym + pool. Direct debit.

The downside of the Mardyke is that during the college term it's just so full of complete idiots, people doing 10 sets of 30 on the bench etc in groups of 3 or 4. The staff are grand in there but they really need to get on top of people with no gym etiquette (example, a guy wringing out his soaking shorts in the changing room, instead of the shower, or the sink, or the toilet, or over a drain) and someone walking through the steamroom area and spitting on the floor. that all happens very infrequently but the students definitely make it a less attractive place to train.

Oh! Ya I think it would come in at around 1000!

Advertisement