Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord not returning my first months deposit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I presume the OP was told that by Threshold rather than by the person who has retained the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would ring the landlord and tell him that you will be bring this to the small claims court if you don't get your money back in the next 7 days.
    Is your landlord on the prtb register?
    Do you think he/she has been paying tax on there rental income they got from you?
    I know a guy a few years ago who lived in a student town in Ireland.
    The landlord he had was really bad. He did not fix things that were broken in the house and he would not give back the months deposit.
    This guy asked all his friends do you know (the landlord)? Do you know if he owns any other places?
    Within a few days he found out the properties this guy owned & how he treated all his renters.
    He rang the revenue and give them all this information.
    If you find out your place is not the the prtb register I would ring the landlord and tell them if you don't get your deposit back you will ring revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Seeing as the landlord is letting through what was described as a property group (an agency I presume), the letting is almost certainly registered with the PRTB. As already mentioned, the recovery route is via the PRTB in the first instance rather than the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

As I've been wrong once in this thread - I hesitate to be so again - but I dont think the SmCC will entertain claims that should have gone though the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

• Advertisement
Advertisement