Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what age are people here doing the gamsat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Woodie321

As far as i know, they never check if your degree is your first one or not.

I think it would be a very long and expensive route to take, a third degree, but if you could do a 3 year level 8 in some mickey mouse thing like accounting or HR in NCI for a few grand i'd do it.

Is there such thing as a 3 year level 8 degree in Ireland? Just curious as I thought 3 year was level 7 and 4 year was level 8? I just thought the 4th year was deemed the honors year? and the 3 year was a level 7 or pass degree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

lol... Im blind as a bat and only read through that quite quickly... but could not see where it says that is a level 8 or honors degree?? A bachelors doesnt necessarily mean level 8. I have a bachelors degree and apparently its only deemed level 7. Im not disagreeing with you or anything... Ive probabably just missed where the link stipulates it. Im blind aswell as bald...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

Woodie321 wrote: »
    lol... Im blind as a bat and only read through that quite quickly... but could not see where it says that is a level 8 or honors degree?? A bachelors doesnt necessarily mean level 8. I have a bachelors degree and apparently its only deemed level 7. Im not disagreeing with you or anything... Ive probabably just missed where the link stipulates it. Im blind aswell as bald...... :o
    look up DN650 on cao.ie and it should come up as a level 8, it doesnt say it on the UCD website but it is a level 8, universities (for the most part) don't offer level 6 or 7 courses, it is only the I.T's that do, I did the same course in UCC (BComm) back when it was 3 years long and level 8 (it's 4 now in UCC), and I'm in RCSI doing medicine.

ciara84 wrote: »
    look up DN650 on cao.ie and it should come up as a level 8, it doesnt say it on the UCD website but it is a level 8, universities (for the most part) don't offer level 6 or 7 courses, it is only the I.T's that do, I did the same course in UCC (BComm) back when it was 3 years long and level 8 (it's 4 now in UCC), and I'm in RCSI doing medicine.

yea just googled it there. I was just using the NQAI where it stipulates a 3 year degree is generally considered level 7. But yep... Fair play! I did my degree in a different country at a uni and i also have a masters from UCD... Im just bummed that my 3 year isnt considered an honors degree over here in Ireland :-(. Hope you're enjoying the medicine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

Woodie321 wrote: »
    yea just googled it there. I was just using the NQAI where it stipulates a 3 year degree is generally considered level 7. But yep... Fair play! I did my degree in a different country at a uni and i also have a masters from UCD... Im just bummed that my 3 year isnt considered an honors degree over here in Ireland :-(. Hope you're enjoying the medicine!
    how did UCD let you do a masters if your original degree is a level 7? a masters is supposed to be a level 9, there are only a handful of "masters" you can do without an degree or without a level 8 degree, MBA is the only one that comes to mind right now.

ciara84 wrote: »
    how did UCD let you do a masters if your original degree is a level 7? a masters is supposed to be a level 9, there are only a handful of "masters" you can do without an degree or without a level 8 degree, MBA is the only one that comes to mind right now.

My thoughts exactly!!! My degree is a 3 year degree which I did in New Zealand. Got As and Bs throughout my entire degree. I was never really aware of the whole Irish level 7, level 8, 2:2, 2:1 etc etc as the grading system was different over there. Anyways... Initially when applying for my masters and reading the eligibility criteria for admissions my masters stipulated one needed to have a bachelors degree or equivalent amongst various other criteria. I have a bachelors degree. So basically I applied for my MSc in my related discipline, got accepted, passed and graduated in 2010. SO therefore, I now have a level 9 qualification.

Which brings me to recent times. I was researching the GAMSAT as was looking into how to get into a gradmed course. Eligibility criteria being that one must have a 2:1 or higher in a level (honors) degree. I wrote to the admissions office in UCD and sent them my transcripts of training from my New Zealand degree to see if I was eligible to apply for gradmed via the GAMSAT and CAO route. Got a letter back saying that my degree was not equivalent to the level 8 degree over here.

SO as I said, even tho I have been educated to Level 9 in Ireland. Im just a bit bummed they apparently dont see my bachelors degree as being equivalent....

Advertisement