Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GI Diet

• 01-08-2012 12:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I gave up sugar two weeks ago and while researching the health benefits stumbled on the GI Diet. Basically its centred around the kind of carbs you eat, eliminating all refined ones and sugar. Its emphasis is on wholegrains and fruit. I've tried researching it online but not too many people have written about it. So anyone tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

paky wrote: »
    I gave up sugar two weeks ago and while researching the health benefits stumbled on the GI Diet. Basically its centred around the kind of carbs you eat, eliminating all refined ones and sugar. Its emphasis is on wholegrains and fruit. I've tried researching it online but not too many people have written about it. So anyone tried it?
    anything that still recommends wholegrain is about 10-20 years behind the times.

Paleo/primal nutrition for the win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Transform wrote: »
    anything that still recommends wholegrain is about 10-20 years behind the times.

In support of that post I found this blog helpful. Nothing revolutionary but good for people new to that kind of diet (like me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

What transform said is on the money. Aim to get the majority if not all your carbs from veg that grows above the ground and you don't have to worry about and GI issues. And you'll feel pretty good after the initial detox phase,
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

behind the times?
    The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet.

how does a vegetarian survive on this diet?

looks like another low carb high protein diet to me. carbs are very important to humans, i can't see how neglecting them would do

you any good especially if you engage in excercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paky wrote: »
    how does a vegetarian survive on this diet?
    They wouldn't.
    The concept being that vegetarianism is a modern idea and its not the diet that humans have eaten for millions of years.
    looks like another low carb high protein diet to me. carbs are very important to humans, i can't see how neglecting them would do you any good especially if you engage in excercise

Its not low carb. It just eliminates certain carbs. It contains lots of fruit and vegtables. But restricts process sugar (for obvious reasons this is good) and grains (affect people differently)

• Advertisement
Advertisement