Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Street Buskers

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Anyone see the Asian chapped wearing a duck hat, slapping a guitar and generally looking fairly stupid on Grafton Street on Saturday. Had some sort of squeaky toy under his foot too. Had to look twice, thought I was seeing things.

Yup seen him too and i was like WTF am i seeing, had to look a couple of times to make sure i hadnt gone mad! He had a big croud too.
    Then i seen the Council sweeper removing all the chalk guys "work" heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

He's often on Henry Street too, pretty funny but it'll wear off soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but hoping someone might know the answer to this.

I stood and watched a really good band on Grafton Street this afternoon, 4 or 5 foreign lads, a double bassist, a fiddler, a guy playing some weird percussive instrument, a bit like a xylophone with metal bars that he hit with sticks, and possibly an accordion player. Kinda jazzyish, swingish. Hard to describe. Anyway, I took a mental note of their name so I could check them out at home then promptly forgot it again. I'm sure it was Balkani something or other. Anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

a guy playing some weird percussive instrument, a bit like a xylophone with metal bars that he hit with sticks

Don't know their name but the instrument is a hammered dulcimer.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Had friends visiting from Germany. Gave them a walking tour which including Grafton Street. Cringed at how ****e all the music was. Fully support a licence system. Its not the first time ive walked down that road with my head down.

Some people are literally taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I enjoy them you know u2 used to busk in the dandelion market they were crap,could not play,one would jump out with a guitar and block you while you were passing

look at them now

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

I enjoy them you know u2 used to busk in the dandelion market they were crap,could not play,one would jump out with a guitar and block you while you were passing

look at them now

Ive no problem with enjoying the "music". After living in dublin for many years i consistently find that the buskers ****e. I understand that it is part of the scene . A process of their evolution. It gives them confidence, the ability to perform infront of crowds, but we aren't in the 80's.

You mentioned U2. Great band with some great tunes. But things change. The way people buy, react and listen to music has changed. We are living a different era....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's the crowds that bug me. Grafton street is not very wide, and the groups of people standing looking at the buskers clogs the whole place up. Whatever happened to dropping a few pence in their hat as you go past? Now people are hanging around like it's a festival, or maybe they just want to get their money's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Saw some bloke on thursday who limbo-ed under a pole he set on fire. Apparently he travels round doing it, can't be a bad act so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Some of the ones that are rubbish and don't have a note in their head were sent out of the house by their mammies and told to take their awful electric guitars or whatever instrument have you, with them. If these lads had jobs, their mammies wouldn't have to inflict the pain of their music onto the masses. So that's the recessions fault too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Most of the buskers that are useless are still of school or college going age.

I think its great that they're there. Some are good, some are bad but that's part of the spirit of it. You have a giggle at the bad ones as you're going past and then you enjoy the ones that are good.

Having to get a licence might stop some acts from ever starting out, whether through shyness or the effort involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

They should designate one of the side streets for the buskers and put a tariff on them if they want to inflict their noise on people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

When I was on grafton street about a month ago a half naked black women lit a fire and was dancing around it. You could see the smoke from far away. There were about 50 people watching blocking half the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sounds like something I would watch if I was passing by and it caught my eye. To each his own. I was raging that I missed Frank Black busking at the gates of Stephen's Green in 2008.

Advertisement