Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked gems this generation.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

calex71 wrote: »
    Alice was great, well worth a look for those who haven't played it.

Another that comes to mind is Mirrors Edge, not sure if it sold well at the time of release, but might have been played by more since given it's all of €3-5 now pre owned. Doubt we'll see a sequel which is a real shame.

Gave this another go last night after being reminded about it here. Still great fun. Avoiding combat with some cool running tricks is a nice change of pace to most other games where blasting and shooting is the only way to proceed (even if you can adopt that approach in the game but who does really?)

Music is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

A great game only let down by shoddy hand to hand combat controls and a late surge of indoor missions. One of my favorite games ever, and so pissed off a sequel hasn't come out yet.

As you said, music is fantastic, and planning speed runs can be satisfying and frustrating....but one thing that always brings me back to play is the art work. In a decade of dull greys and drab browns, Mirror's Edge is a refreshing splash of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Mirror's Edge was brilliant in how experimental it was. A first person game that tried to do something different. I have to say I loved the platforming and even the combat as well as the art direction and the massive city.

Let down though by a few things though. Plot was dreadful (I felt myself siding with the bad guys at times), the later indoor sections were weak and the idea of "go to the red thing" to keep the action moving often didn't work since I spent too long running in circles looking for the red thing. I also wished they stuck to the idea of "you're delivering valuable packages" since that only held up for the very first mission.

Really though, I think everyone should give it a go. It's about €10 tops in most shops and is about 5 hours long so you haven't got much to lose.

I would like to see it get a spiritual successor rather than a sequel. A bit more parkour platforming but new story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

+1 for Alice & Mirrors Edge. Both great, but slightly flawed games.

A few ones i can think of:

Killing Floor. Dismissed as a L4D rip off at first, this game has sucked 95 hours game time from me. Possibly the most enjoyable shooting in an FPS ever. The weapons all feel amazing.

Wolfenstein. The 2009 one, yeah it wasnt the best or most technically amazing game of all time, and it takes a while to get going but by the time you unlock all the veil powers and can explode nazis practically by looking at them, the game is just amazing fun.

Spec Ops: The Line. More recently, spec ops came out of nowhere and pretty much blew me away with its narrative. In terms of storytelling an impact on the player, this game is as important as games like mario were to gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have to put in a vote for James Cameron's Avatar the game.
    I got it with my PS3 as a Christmas present(along with Infamous, 2 Uncharteds and Arkham Asylum) so my reaction was along the lines of Cool to all those and meh to Avatar as I hadn't exactly seen glowing reviews for it.
    Was on my shelf for about a year then decided to try it. Turned out to be a lot better than expected.
    Basically you switch between your human and Na'vi forms until you have to choose which side to take. It saves automatically at this point so that when you finish as Na'vi you can go back to that point and choose the other path. When I finished the first time, I went back and played the other form all day until I finished it.
    Weapons are different for each mode, as you'd expect and while you get to ride animals in Na'vi form, you get vehicles as human. Also the environment is more hostile when you're human.
    The levelling up works the same as a lot of games(Infamous, God of War) where you get XP as you progress with which you can upgrade at any time when you have enough.

Not flawless but think it deserves more recognition than it got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Some might laugh, but I loved The Saboteur. Yes, the graphics aren't great, the voice acting is a bit hammy, the car controls a bit tricky, the character animations a bit stiff and the plot is a little bit hammy.

But who doesn't want to be an Irish race-driver/spy zooming around Paris (and the rest of France) in some beautifully rendered '40s cars, with a quality soundtrack, racing against those pesky huns, bringing down Zeppelins.. and generally blowing the 'shoite' out of Nazis. And the in-game challenges are fun to do and with meaningful rewards. Oh, and boobies!

I'd love a sequel, with slightly better graphics and character animation. Unfortunately, the developer's gone bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Payday: the heist.

Was worth the price in the steam sale. Played it a lot when I got it (until sleeping dogs release!)

Can get hectic online with the amount of bulldozers the game can throw at you when your doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

who_me wrote: »
    Some might laugh, but I loved The Saboteur. Yes, the graphics aren't great, the voice acting is a bit hammy, the car controls a bit tricky, the character animations a bit stiff and the plot is a little bit hammy.

But who doesn't want to be an Irish race-driver/spy zooming around Paris (and the rest of France) in some beautifully rendered '40s cars, with a quality soundtrack, racing against those pesky huns, bringing down Zeppelins.. and generally blowing the 'shoite' out of Nazis. And the in-game challenges are fun to do and with meaningful rewards. Oh, and boobies!

I'd love a sequel, with slightly better graphics and character animation. Unfortunately, the developer's gone bust.
    I have a friend who works as a lecturer on video games, and The Saboteur is the one game he dips into every other day just for random missions & exploding things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I completely agree about the saboteur. I had heard mainly negative things beforehand and only bought it for cheap second hand as a sort of "Sure feck it, why not" purchase. Ended up sinking a load of hours into it and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Metro 2033 - What a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

who_me wrote: »

I liked that game, took down the Nazi occupation of paris all by meself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

dont know if its a gem but got darksiders knowing nothing about it as part of a 2 for 1 and it was the free one. loved it more than the other two which were still both good games (new vegas and dragon age 1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have never heard of or played 95% of these games...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Metro 2033 - What a game.

Playing it at the moment, its ok. Graphics are not great and the sound is a bit rubbish, especially the gun sounds.

Godfather 2006 for the xbox 360. I have 50 hours racked up on it and there is still loads to do. One of the best games I have ever played, got it for free with two other games I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

tales of vesperia on the xbox i love that game and the rest of the "Tales of" franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have never heard of or played 95% of these games...
    Kinda the point of the thread! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Enslaved: Oddessy To The West. Great game, but only about five people actually bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

deathrider wrote: »
    Enslaved: Oddessy To The West. Great game, but only about five people actually bought it.

The 4 who thanked your post, plus yourself...I presume. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Crap.....thanked the post before reading yours......but the game is good, so I can't in good conscience remove the thanks.... :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I think I need a new game to play.
    Of those recommended here I've recently played enslaved,darksiders and vanquish.
    I think I'm leaning towards a game with a bit of longevity(vanquish took only about 4 1/2hrs).
    Don't have to be an overlooked jem and I'm veering away from valkyria chronicles,just doesn't seem to tickle my fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

ARMA 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I think I need a new game to play.
    Of those recommended here I've recently played enslaved,darksiders and vanquish.
    I think I'm leaning towards a game with a bit of longevity(vanquish took only about 4 1/2hrs).
    Don't have to be an overlooked jem and I'm veering away from valkyria chronicles,just doesn't seem to tickle my fancy.

borderlands
    While maybe not overlooked at all bit iv had it in my steam library since last Xmas and am only playing it now and it's fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Playing it at the moment, its ok. Graphics are not great and the sound is a bit rubbish, especially the gun sounds.

:eek:

You must be playing it on the xbox.....which is doing it wrong. I have it on PC and Metro 2033 is one of the best games graphically out there, even a couple of years later. It's jaw dropping at times.

The difference between the PC version and xbox version is clearly huge but I would still wager there are very few games on xbox better looking than it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

+1 for Alice & Mirrors Edge. Both great, but slightly flawed games.

A few ones i can think of:

Killing Floor. Dismissed as a L4D rip off at first, this game has sucked 95 hours game time from me. Possibly the most enjoyable shooting in an FPS ever. The weapons all feel amazing.

Wolfenstein. The 2009 one, yeah it wasnt the best or most technically amazing game of all time, and it takes a while to get going but by the time you unlock all the veil powers and can explode nazis practically by looking at them, the game is just amazing fun.

Spec Ops: The Line. More recently, spec ops came out of nowhere and pretty much blew me away with its narrative. In terms of storytelling an impact on the player, this game is as important as games like mario were to gameplay.

+1 on Killing Floor. The satisfaction you get out of all the guns. There's no FPS around that delivers that feeling imo (COD: WaW comes close imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'd almost fortgotten about Alice until I saw it being quoted right there. What a stunner of a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    borderlands
    While maybe not overlooked at all bit iv had it in my steam library since last Xmas and am only playing it now and it's fantastic

Where have you been? There is a massive fanbase for that game and i personally loved it. Borderlands 2 is out next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kirby wrote: »
    :eek:

You must be playing it on the xbox.....which is doing it wrong. I have it on PC and Metro 2033 is one of the best games graphically out there, even a couple of years later. It's jaw dropping at times.

The difference between the PC version and xbox version is clearly huge but I would still wager there are very few games on xbox better looking than it.

Unfortunately not the case Kirby. I'd almost go as far as calling the Xbox version ugly... Now, in the context of the game, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I remember thinking "this is a poor looking game". Especially compared to the stellar PC version. Looks aside, it's brilliant however. It's so refreshingly different to the usual US Military shooter bull**** that is the SP campaign in Cod, Battlefield, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Metro 2033 going for £4 on Amazon on PC. I'll have to chuck that in the basket next time I order.

Having read about Alice Madness Returns here, I went to purchase it, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was crazy, beautifully realized, plus it toyed with so many different genres, which made it a bit like Batman Arkham Asylum in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I recently decided to do the whole PS+ thing as I wanted to play Infamous2, Deus X and LBP2, however so far all I have really been playing has been Motostorm: Apocalypse. I had played other motorstorm games and they never interested me, however moving from the off road to a "city" environment has made all the difference in my opinion.

Advertisement