Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing? (July/August 2012)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Binary Domain was picked up cheap after seeing positive things about it here. I'm not very far in, but it's very very generic so far... Hoping that it will pick up. Camera is annoying at times and the voice recognition is poor enough.

The presentation is wearily generic, but the story is occasionally quite interesting despite the stereotyping. The gameplay is where its at, though, with intense, engaging gunplay. It's not a great game, but it's solidly entertaining. And turn off voice recognition :pac:

Playing a bit of Driver San Francisco at the moment. It's vastly superior to my last experiences with the franchise back in the Driv3r days. The only problem is that it's less about driving as most missions so far can be easily won by just shifting into cars and crashing them into your opponents!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

xbox - castlevania - playing this for a few months now. Get so far and get stuck, then try again a few weeks later and get past the boss. Currently stuck on the bird boss. Great game though.
    wii - pop - forgotten sands arrived today, totally different from the xbox version I finished so looking fwd to it
    ps3 - dead island - got this in currys sale and about 20% in im liking it a lot. my first time really sticking with a sandbox game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Plot wise and antagonist wise it is weaker. There was a real challenge to infamous that was not present in 2, I found. They fixed the gameplay issues and made it a smoother package but lost something, in the mix

I thought the presentation improved a lot for inFamous 2 as well. The city in the first one felt empty and depressing to me and it was frustrating how often I got shot at by random enemy encounters. The graphics and cinematography also got a good boost but to each his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Saw the first Witcher for 2 quid so picked it up as really enjoyed the second one. Absolutely loving it at the moment , been playing it two weeks now and barely into chapter 2.Kinda prefer the smaller stories in this one, feels abit more grubbier or something.
    Also ,only started playing team fortress , don't know what to make of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Playing
    The Walking Dead: Episode 1
    Actually completed Episode 1, and am waiting a while to play Episode 2. VEry different game, but really enjoyed it. The style is perfect, more like an interactive comic that anything else. Will have to play through again with different choices to see the effect it will have on the story.

Completed
    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    I really enjoyed this. Mark and Execute was better than I thought. Story was ok, totally different to Splinter Cell while at the same time being the same. Although the emphasis on action rather than stealth was strange. Wasn't mad about the flashbacks and flash forwards,
    especially when it was obvious that Grim wasn't really leading Sam to Reed and it was all a ruse. Also the daughter being alive was a bit contrived, as in they needed some way to force Sam to come back, so lets have him rescue his daughter

Bulletstorm
    Again a game I enjoyed. I thought after the first few chapters that I wouldn't like it and was going to stop, but glad I pushed on. Control scheme is terrible though, having one button for jump over obstacle, slide and run as well as a left and right weapon. They really could have done a better job of mapping the console control scheme, but having said that it was a good laugh. Will have to play again to get all the Skillshots.

Rage
    Didn't like it at all. Played it around start of July, so can't really remember much beyond it was a generic shooter with very little to set it apart from other ID software titles. It was like they took Doom and replaced all the wall tiles with outside tiles. Oh and it constantly crashed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Replayed Red Dead Redemption recently, still one of the best games of the last 3 years in my opinion. Gonna restart Skyrim as I didn't finish it due to being rudely interrupted by college in back in January, even though it's odd timing on my part seeing as it is September next month. Plan to go back and do either Fallout 3 again or download the DLC for New Vegas and complete that as I never had the opportunity. Before my PC started giving me trouble last week I was back kicking arse on GTA San Andreas after buying the GTA Collection in the Steam sale (even though I'm a dedicated console player), but while I'm waiting on parts to fix it I'm going to continue on in my beloved singleplayer paradise with Skyrim on the PS3 as I said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Batman: Arkham City. Bought it for Christmas, but ended up playing through Saints Row 3 and other various games first. 67% of the way through the story. The game is absolutely excellent.

FIFA 12: Mostly played Ultimate Team, going to go back through H2H Seasons and rise up through the divisions and pick up a few Cups. In Division 5, won two Continental Cups (Cup for Div 3/4/5). Doing various bits and pieces before FIFA 13.

F1 2011: Finished one season with Force India. Finished second in the drivers Championship. 3 races into the second season driving for Ferrari. Playing on legendary, hope to get a good few achievements for winning the Drivers & Constructors Championships before F1 2012 is released.

MW3: Bought it, never played the campaign. Going to start it this week.

Have to be done with all of these by 21st of Sept when F1 2012 is released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

The Witcher 2 : just got a PC so this seemed like a decent game to try out to get used to the mouse and keyboard again. played 2 hrs or so (including alot of cut scenes) Seems a good game, but i am playing it on easy :p:o just to get back into the swing of things again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Pokemon: White - my first ever Pokemon game; surprised by this, kinda expected it to be just ok, but the game has a really involving combat system, with a good balance between accessibility and depth. Training and customising Pokemon is scarily compelling...it's like electronic crack. (In other news, man lands on Moon, JFK assassinated etc.)

Vanquish - fab third-person shooter, bar the constant cutscenes which unnecessarily disrupt the flow of gameplay.

Must get back to:

Arkham City - brilliant on so many levels, but got sick of bossfights which just involve the villain throwing hordes of low-level punchbag-enemies at you.

Catherine - left to one side when it just got too bloody hard!

Ocarina of Time 3D - I am the slowest Zelda player ever. 50 hours clocked with no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Playing Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time at the moment. It follows the traditional gameplay of the classic PS2 games and still has some great humour that makes me laugh! Also adds in space missions which are fairly cool. For anyone that hasn't played this on PS3, buy it and play it.

Finished Darksiders for the first time recently. While I enjoyed the start of it, I thought it dragged a bit at the end, but overall it was a decent enough game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just finished Gothic 2 Gold - this is possibly the best rpg or even game I have ever played and the gold standard imo for anyone developing open world rpgs. It's one of those games that almost hides some of it's finer points and while discovering them is wonderful it would be a shame to miss everything the game has to offer making reading a guide recommended. Gothic 1 is of a similar high standard.

So now I have begun Gothic 3 with community patch 1.75 which apparently makes it the game it should have been. I've opted for the more difficult setup with better enemy ai and alternative balancing (options the community patch brings to the table). The balancing thing stops you from becoming a jack of all trades which is the killer for so many rpgs in the latter stages I find (Oblivion and Skyrim I'm looking at you). Early impressions are very good. Massive game world that looks fantastic, music as good as you would hope from a fantasy epic and I think I'll be sinking as much time into this as Gothic 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Playing Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time at the moment. It follows the traditional gameplay of the classic PS2 games and still has some great humour that makes me laugh! Also adds in space missions which are fairly cool. For anyone that hasn't played this on PS3, buy it and play it.

Finished Darksiders for the first time recently. While I enjoyed the start of it, I thought it dragged a bit at the end, but overall it was a decent enough game

Two great games there, particularly A Crack in Time. I think that might be the best 3D platformer of this console generation.

Well finished Spec Ops the line. Might have a crack at finishing Fallout 3 or Bioshock again. Never did get to the end of either...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

C14N wrote: »
    Might have a crack at finishing Fallout 3 or Bioshock again. Never did get to the end of either...

Decision made - Fallouts ending is disappointing really, so much so that they made additional content to carry it on and explain

Bioshocks is excellent !!

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Decision made - Fallouts ending is disappointing really, so much so that they made additional content to carry it on and explain

Bioshocks is excellent !!

Thankfully, I already have the additional content :pac: I bought the Broken Steel/Point Lookout expansion yonks ago and a friend of mine bought the Pitt/ Op Anchorage so we swapped and each have both (couldn't give a toss about Mothership Zeta).

The main difference is that I have already spent a lot of time at Fallout (about 70 hours compared to 5-10 for Bioshock) so I've levelled up to something of a badass already and Fallout isn't so damn scary. Still, I expect Bioshock won't take as long to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Currently playing Professor Layton and the Diabolical/Pandora's Box.

Advertisement