Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€60 (Spain) vs €100 (Ireland) for White Dental Filling

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please leave the Skopzz comments out of it.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I believe that setting a cap on private profession prices would be a good move in Ireland. It would face resistance but would force the profession into a game changer. Free market capitalism destroyed this country economically since 2008.

It is important for future posts that you understand this commercial fact. The Government cannot cap the fees charged by any private industry, because they are not in any way under state control, the last time I checked Ireland does not have a Communist type economy where the state controls prices. There is no point saying they should,could or would, they can't. Neither can the troika nor anyone else.

Porcelain fillings are very different from composite fillings. A porcelain filling involves a cavity preparation, impressions, a lab casting or milling a porcelain filling to fit your tooth, try-in and then cementation in position. Is this what you were quoted for?.

As pointed out by a previous poster, you can get a white filling as cheap closer to home and still have the peace of mind that you do not have to travel if there is a problem.

Sorry I assumed you were someone else because of your viewpoint and the way they were written. I suggest you make your own points and not align yourself to the poorly researched, thoughtout and articulated views of the other person you referred to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok hands up, I will admit to not having the first idea of what it is like to be a dentist but as a service provider you can surely understand that alot of their costs would be well in excess of that what is in Spain?
    Council rates, water charges, Electricity etc.
    To hire a receptionist is more expensive here than in Spain (ie higher min wage).
    We are also an island with a dispersed population so cannot get the economies of scale that a country like Spain can with a much larger population and connected to the biggest landmass on Earth.
    Adding to this the mismanagement of our economy for a generation pushing wages and costs up and up I think you will realise that there should be no surprise that most things are so expensive here.

The biggest issue with dentistry is that all of the products are bespoke by neccessity. This means the manufacturing costs of, say a crown, are huge. Nevermind the record prices that gold has reached on commodity markets.

I think it is very easy to say the cost here is x whereas the cost in Ireland is y. But it is extremely simplistic.

I don't think anyone would try to claim that irish dentists are better than non Irish dentist. I have used dentists in three countries and all were a similar quality

Maybe if we had taken elections more seriously in the past we would have got a government capable of running an economy.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

davo10 wrote: »
    What percentage of patients do you think a dentist loses to dental tourism? Think tiny. Whereas if prices are lowered to entice this tiny percentage to stay put, the dentist loses a huge amount of money which other patients are satisfied to pay. Dream on.

Or maybe if the prices they charge were closer to what people could afford, they would have more patients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

narddog wrote: »
    Or maybe if the prices they charge were closer to what people could afford, they would have more patients?

Read post #36. If it was as simple as lowering prices = larger client numbers = acceptable profits, no business of any type would ever close. All you do in the dentists case is charge the majority of patients who attend and consider the price reasonable, less, in the hope that you would would get more patients paying the lower rate. All the while core costs remain constant and materials and laboratory bills rise. Not a great business model.

It costs a dentist twice as much in terms of clinical time and materials to provide 20 patients with a €50 filling than 10 patients with a €100 filling. So he/she ends up with the same gross but a much smaller nett.

We live in an era of easy and quick information via physically standing in the place where you wish to buy something, telephone and easiest of all, the Internet, there is no excuse for being ripped off for anything anymore a d if you are, you have to take responsibility for overpaying. The Op's first post is an example of this, he thought he had to go to Spain for a good deal, turns out he could get a better one closer to home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement