Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

98Fm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Was reading from there twitter page, see link below

http://www.98fm.com/breakfastannouncement/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Did they leave or were they pushed??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

Ray Foley and JP just announced they are going to be moving to the 98fm morning show.

They are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

OMG, this is amazing news, plus dermot and dave on drive (I hope!!). This should bring 98fm up to its original place in the Dublin market against 104. What about Today FM though??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Nice timing. Chris Doyle would know him from Spin also. I think it's a good move for Ray and JP. They get to finally test the waters a breakfast time. About time Jim Jim and Nobby had real competition in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

This could be great for 98FM but the I just cannot see Ray and JP winning over the Dublin market. Today FM is hugely popular but that's mostly outside of Dublin or with people traveling up to Dublin, listen to Ray on air most days and a majority of the callers are from outside Dublin. The short term will bring some new listeners over, but long term 104 will remain top of the breakfast market, they suit the demographic. Smacks of when Jim-Jim and Colm Hayes went to 2FM, just in reverse. Curious to see how Phantom do with Joe and Keith together again like the old days on Spin, if they can pull in some listeners there they might be able to fix the station somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Its a curious decision by Foley. Clearly he's looking for a new challenge and for that he has to be admired, but it is certainly a lower profile gig than on today fm. I agree with the contention that today fm is more popular outside Dublin than in Dublin so he has a battle on his hands. Foley is also a vey divisive figure in the same way that chris moyles is in the UK, you either absolutely love him or loathe him. As regards the breakfast format, he'll have to tailor his style to fit. At the moment on today fm he's given much licence to indulge himself and his links can on occasion carry on for up to and beyond 5 mins, this wont be possible on breakfast where timing to extremely tight. He'll also have to tone down the juvenile side of his personality because I cant see it washing with the dublin listenership en masse every morning. It will be interesting to see if it works, to be honest I think its clear that radio management make decisions based on hope more than anything, the whole thing could fall flat on its face like the decison to hire aidan power and solan, time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

Having read a few of your posts hey baby, you seem to have a bias against 98fm. Have any of the other Dublin stations, or stations in Ireland done no wrong over last few years? Fm104 seems to be the only consistent station in the last few years. Q102 had halved its audience, 4fm has flip flopped all over the place, and these are just a few examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

was anybody just listening to 98fm . They Fúcked up Big time. Just came out of news into On air with Ryan Seacrest. Had news Fader still up. Sports news came on for 1 min and 50 seconds over Ryan's intro and some of the first song. fair enough 5/10 seconds but nearly 2 mins :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Don't know if anyone else was listening but Steven Cooper was presenting alongside Tracy Clifford on Fully Charged on SPIN 1038 on Friday morning. He was really good too, great to hear him back, albeit for one cover slot. Hopefully there is more opportunities for him to do daytime radio again.

• Advertisement

any one notice the new news sequence imaging at 98?

any one notice the new news sequence imaging at 98?

Anyone notice my post about it.....?

http://www.music4.com/music/catalogue/694/98fm-dublin/the-ray-foley-show-98fm-november-2012.html

gavindowd wrote: »

I was talking about the News / sport / traffic /weather beds

Loving the jingles though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Anyone else having trouble with the 98fm Live Stream and 98tv? Not working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with the 98fm Live Stream and 98tv? Not working for me.

Communicorp servers have been giving trouble for the past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Couldnt get it earlier either. On an unreleated note, do 98 have different news stings and music for the news in the morning and the news in the evening, caught a few minutes of Foley on Monday morning and he had some weird music on during the news?

With Foley joining 98fm I've given the some of the other presenters a listen, well, mostly Dermot and Dave and I have to say I find these guys hilarious, only knew Dermot from RoT and being outside the big schmoke I never listened to 98 online before! I find it strange that 98 get a whole days programming from what is essentially only five shows and one of those is a syndicated one from the States.

If there is anyone on here who has a decent knowledge of 98 could they answer a few questions for me? How long is 98 going, how long have Dermot & Dave been on and what's their background? Is the 5hr Barry Dunne show a permanent thing and has the station changed much (if at all) since Foley & JP made the switch, thanks!

How long is 98 going
    November 1989 I believe.

With Foley joining 98fm I've given the some of the other presenters a listen, well, mostly Dermot and Dave and I have to say I find these guys hilarious, only knew Dermot from RoT and being outside the big schmoke I never listened to 98 online before! I find it strange that 98 get a whole days programming from what is essentially only five shows and one of those is a syndicated one from the States.

If there is anyone on here who has a decent knowledge of 98 could they answer a few questions for me? How long is 98 going, how long have Dermot & Dave been on and what's their background? Is the 5hr Barry Dunne show a permanent thing and has the station changed much (if at all) since Foley & JP made the switch, thanks!

Before the change Schedule was
    6-10 Morning Crew - Aidan Power and Claire Solan
    10-1- Barry Dunne *
    1-4 Steven Cooper*
    4-7 Dermont & Dave
    7-9 Darragh O Dea
    9-12 Joan lea

Not sure about the the correct time show started/finished

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

For the first couple of years, 98FM was known as "Classic Hits 98FM". This was the first Denis O'Brien-owned station. The first song played was "Hotel California" by The Eagles. 98FM is a very different station now.

TV3 have a lot of ex-98FM people amongst its staff: Mark Cagney, Aidan Cooney, Martin King, Andrew O'Hanlon (Head of News)..... and even Vincent Browne! Ruth Scott left 2FM for a while to work on 98FM and co-hosted the breakfast show with Dermot Whelan. Today FM's Tim Kelly was part of the original presenter lineup on 98FM, as indeed was Today FM's PD Tom Hardy (now behind the scenes).

In relation to Barry Dunne, he has been involved with 98FM since 98FM. He spent most of the first half of the '90s involved with Dublin pirate stationd. His cv reads like a who's who of the pirate scene at the time!

• Advertisement

98FM started as "Classic Hits" 98FM back in November 1989. It was the second commercially licenced station for Dublin and the first one to be owned by a Denis O'Brien-led company. The first song played was "Hotel California" by The Eagles. 98FM is quite a different station now.

TV3 has quite a few ex-98FM people: Mark Cagney, Aidan Cooney, Martin King, Andew O'Hanlon (Head of News)..... and even Vincent Browne! Ruth Scott left 2FM for a while to co-host the breakfast show with Dermot Whelan. Today FM's Tim Kelly was part of the original presenter lineup on 98FM as indeed was Tom Hardy now behind the scenes Today FM PD.

Barry Dunne has been with 98FM since 1996. He spent most of the first half of the '90s involved with a number of Dublin pirate stations. In fact his cv reads like a whos who of Dublin pirates during that period!

Thanks for the info all. Do ye think then that the 5hrs that Barry Dunne has might be changed to two 2 and a half hour shows or something like that or will it stay as is. Is Dermot & Dave a ratings winner? They come across as great friends but are from different ends of the country nearly originally, or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Thanks for the info all. Do ye think then that the 5hrs that Barry Dunne has might be changed to two 2 and a half hour shows or something like that or will it stay as is. Is Dermot & Dave a ratings winner? They come across as great friends but are from different ends of the country nearly originally, or am I wrong?

Dermot and Dave were more or less 98FMs ratings for awhile so yes, they are ratings winners and they've been recgnoised worldwide for their on air talent.

I'm very interested to see what their ratings will be like with the new addition of Foley and JP to the mix, i'm hoping they revoke Barry from the 5 hour slot and give somebody else a gig. Don't get me wrong I think Barry is brilliant but I much preferred Barry and Cooper together.

From what I can gather they are best friends off the air also.

Paul Connolly used to be on 98 doing the inbox phone-in with Joan Lee, a girl called Alison and a girl from weekends on SPIN called Michelle.
    He is now seen occasionally on TV3 presenting documentaries.

Another name worth a mention is Tom Dunne. He got his first big break in broadcasting on 98FM. Initially, he presented a weekday nighttime program of Irish rock called "Totally Irish". He was moved to early evenings and went from there to Today FM and subsequently to Newstalk.

Going back to "Totally Irish": that was originally the brainchild of Jim O'Neill, who spent a few years with 98FM. Jim is on Sunday afternoons these days on Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭GSF

Another name worth a mention is Tom Dunne. He got his first big break in broadcasting on 98FM. Initially, he presented a weekday nighttime program of Irish rock called "Totally Irish". He was moved to early evenings and went from there to Today FM and subsequently to Newstalk.

Going back to "Totally Irish": that was originally the brainchild of Jim O'Neill, who spent a few years with 98FM. Jim is on Sunday afternoons these days on Today FM.

Used as a way to fill the BCI's 20% Irish music quota, without it affecting the daytime playlist!

Johnny Lyons' voice is ridiculous. And not in a good way. :(

The only thing he is good for is p*ss-taking by Dermot and Dave and the Ray Foley show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Johnny Lyons' voice is ridiculous. And not in a good way. :(

The only thing he is good for is p*ss-taking by Dermot and Dave and the Ray Foley show.

Yes ive said before he's in love with his own voice to the extent that he's so focused on enunciating every syllable and word that the essence of what he's reading, ie the sport is lost , its so goddamn distracting, but the new powers that be at 98fm in their wisdom continue to indulge him.

Advertisement