Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an employeer responsible for an uninsured employee(car)?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mathepac wrote: »
    The insurance may be to cover the pizzas (the franchisee's property) as the franchisee has no insurable interest in anything else.
    So, what insurable interest does a business have when it takes out public liability insurance? Or employer's liability insurance (other than policies payable to the employer) or health insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Do you mean employers and public liability insurance? That's insurance on a business premises to insure the public, clients and employees of a business against injury or loss while on the premises. It's similar in nature to 3rd party motor insurance.

I'm not sure about the other stuff - health insurance is where I insure me against illness. An employer can offer to pay employees into a group scheme, which is taxable as BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mathepac wrote: »
    Do you mean employers and public liability insurance? That's insurance on a business premises to insure the public, clients and employees of a business against injury or loss while on the premises. It's similar in nature to 3rd party motor insurance.

I'm not sure about the other stuff - health insurance is where I insure me against illness. An employer can offer to pay employees into a group scheme, which is taxable as BIK.

I think the point that Victor and I are making to you is: why do you have a hangup about 'insurable interest' when it comes to an employer paying for third party insurance for their employees' cars while on company business?

If you and I are complete strangers, I cannot take out a life policy on you but if you work for me and are critical to the operation of my company, I can take out what's known as 'key man' insurance on your life. If I employ you to drive your own car as part of your job working for me, I surely have an 'insurable interest' in your activities since if you crash into someone while working for me, someone can come and claim against my company, there's your 'insurable interest'.

He's not asking you to explain what those other policies of insurance are for LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

An interesting article, http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/delivery-driver-not-insured-2818765.html

Wonder was it appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

An interesting article, http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/delivery-driver-not-insured-2818765.html

Wonder was it appealed.

Wow! I thought the biggest issue would be the insurer dragging their heels if they thought you were working when you had an accident.

Since were on the topic. If I'm clocked in when driving from one store to another am I insured to give other employees a lift? (I am not their employer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Since were on the topic. If I'm clocked in when driving from one store to another am I insured to give other employees a lift? (I am not their employer)

If your job involves you going from one store to another and you use your car and you are not involved in sales, you need to get Class II restricted business use cover because it's different from simply driving to and from work at the beginning and end of the day.

That will cover you provided you do not carry goods and samples and in my case Axa gave it to me for free. Ring your insurance company, explain the nature of your job and that you occasionally need to use it on business but are not carrying goods or samples.

That should also cover you giving the occasional lift to a colleague since that's no different to someone driving a neighbour to work if they both work in the same place or in my case driving a colleague to meet a customer.

If you use your car on the job and you are in sales, you need Class I (salesman) cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wonder was it appealed.
    The likely problem there was that he likely didn't know the law and pleaded guilty.

An insurer can't refuse to pay out on a (genuine) third-party claim, although they can come after the insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Many a moon ago, I worked for a pizza shop delivering on my motorbike.

I was one of about ten drivers although the rest were mostly in their private cars.

We went on our deliveries and put the money in our pockets and at the end of the night we totted up the value. Then we took away the delivery charges and get gave the balance to the shop manager.

There was no contract, no paperwork, not even a record of who did what (other than a first name). The gardai could close down any delivery service they wanted by just sitting outside it checking drivers insurance.

Then, and even now, I could practically guarantee, 99% of the drivers only have basic insurance. At the time I did it, I paid an extra premium of 33% on top, to cover "hire and reward".

At the moment in Tallaght, the local pizza men are driving with uniforms and baseball caps, while the other company has big light-board signs on the roofs of their cars.

They stand out a mile and, unless the pizza shops have started providing insurance, they are all open to prosecution.

Advertisement