Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

From Jim Harbaugh via BASG.

"We’ve been kind of down on getting turnovers and sometimes things just kind of start breaking right for you. Kind of like the olive jar. Everybody’s familiar with the olive jar.”

I’m not.

“Well, you open it up and a brand new can of olives and turn it over and no olives come out. They’re packed in there so darn tight, but if you just get one to come out, just pluck one out of there and then they want to come out, they’re just flying out of the jar. So, hopefully that’s the case for us defensively. You just wonder, are you ever going to get a turnover, or interception or fumble and how can we get one. Then you get one and then you get, then they start flying your way. So, hopefully that’s where we’re at.”

Classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers have activated Aldon Smith to the 53 man roster for next week, bit of a surprise to be honest wasn't expecting him back this soon.

Marlon Moore has been released to make room.

The 49ers still need to make more roster moves over the next few weeks as they will likely activate Eric Wright, Mario Manningham and Michael Crabtree.

Getting all these guys back towards the end of the year will be a huge bonus for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Supposedly they had no choice. As he's out of rehab they had to activate him. Would be a big bonus to get him back (not withstanding his ultimate - probably long - ban). The pass rush has basically disappeared in his absence.

Also, 2nd round pick next year from KC is now locked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

Defense has done well without Aldon. Lemonier has impressed. Great to have such depth. Waiting to see what this tank fella is like. Turnovers have increased, but the schedule has eased a bit. Another factor perhaps has been kap returning to 100% after his foot injury. Seems happier to run more compared to earlier in the season. Looking forward to the return of the wrs, though I would have been happy with a punt on josh Brown.

There's a decent behind the scenes documentary on the wembley game and the week leading up to it on quest right now, repeated fairly often.

Actually a pretty good watch, it's called Touchdown Wembley.

• Advertisement

Well that was an ugly, ugly loss.

What happened to the offensive line? QB seemed to be under pressure on every drop back.

Carolina are a good team but that was a very dispiriting performance, Saints up next in the superdome, defeat there could mean us dropping out of the wildcard places.

Realistically we have lost to every good team we have played except the packers in week 1.

An ugly and costly loss at home. Kap looked lost without Davis. Did crabtree carry the team last year? The o-line looked awful without Iupati. 6 sacks?? The run game was doing ok - familiar story with the calls. Kyle williams cut.

An ugly and costly loss at home. Kap looked lost without Davis. Did crabtree carry the team last year? The o-line looked awful without Iupati. 6 sacks?? The run game was doing ok - familiar story with the calls. Kyle williams cut.

Iupati was there though. Got injured late on but only missed one or 2 plays.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Iupati was there though. Got injured late on but only missed one or 2 plays.

My bad, thanks. He would have been better of staying on the sideline! Another concussion for Reid. We'll see how much the secondary has improved against Brees and co.

Thats very worrying, without him we may struggle, we only have 1 healthy TE which takes away all the 2 TE formations from the playbook if Davis and Celek are out.

If we don't win Sunday we can forget about the division and even a Wildcard place will be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

When Vernon Davis is on the field, Kaepernick's QBR is 81.7
    When Vernon Davis is not on the field , Kaepernick's QBR is 13.1 :eek:

This is a nice breakdown of last Sunday's Niners passing game (or lack of)

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/11/14/5100210/all-22-breakdown-of-the-49ers-inept-passing-offense

Big game Sunday, playing the Saints in the Superdome with no passing attack to speak of, possibly without McDonald, Davis and Reid, only one healthy TE and the Saints flying high.

Can't say I'm overly confident. Think I'll go back and watch that playoff from 2012 again to cheer me up.

Just thought I'd leave this here:

smith2.gif

Well that was disappointing, another toothless performance from the offense.

With Davis there we have at least a little threat, but again we got away from the run too early, Kaepernick made some bad decisions and we failed to score touchdowns at crucial stages.

The division race is now over, we have a lengthy injury list and we are in the middle of a dog fight for a wild card place.

Playoffs are still doable but tough to see a superbowl run this year.

Also WTF is going on with Harbaugh and his challenges, both were idiotic and unnecessary.

brooks-brees-meme.jpgAmusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

brooks-brees-meme.jpgAmusing

Very amusing to anyone who backed the saints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Very amusing to anyone who backed the saints!

A non call on the saints last night with Matty Ryan clearly getting the facemask from Hicks .. The Saints could be the ones to bet on if they continue to get this type of officiating!

Well that was a very pleasant way to spend the hours of 01:30 -04:30 of a Tuesday morning.

I realise the Redskins are terrible but you have to start somewhere.

Good Points:
    • Kaepernick made some nice throws down the field, hit Manningham, Boldin and Davis at different times, he also took off running to pick up a first down which was a very good decision at the time.
    • Greg Romans play calling was much improved, played to Kaepernick's strengths, called a few quick passes to get the passing game going early and a few deep shots too, much better than recently.
    • Clock management was better, still burned a few timeouts but were getting to the line in plenty of time to get audibles called.
    • No stupid challenges for a change.
    • Jerod Eddie looked very good in place of Macdonald, in fact the entire D-Line was very good against a very good running team.
    • Kept RG3 in check, Brooks and Aldon Smith both looked very good, I think this will be a real bonus down thee stretch.
    • James looks good on Kickoff and punt returns, I can see this being a good development and resulting in some short fields for the offense and maybe even a return TD or 2.

Bad Points:
    • Kaepernick still looks to panic in the pocket at times, he is looking to run too soon, he obviously doesn't trust the pass protection.
    • Kaepernick also made 2 or 3 very bad throws that would have been picked off against better opposition.
    • The run game really struggled with Iupati missing, this wasn't a big issue on the night but for the next few games we will need to run the ball.
    Overall it was one more win on the road to a Wild card spot. Arizona still hanging around but I think we should outlast them or beat them in week 17 if necessary.

You have to think Seattle and either NO or Carolina take seeds one and 2. I think the 49ers will end up as the 6 seed and will travel to either NFC East winners or NFC North winners.

I'd love to see 49ers @ Dallas in the wild card, would be like old times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

• The run game really struggled with Iupati missing, this wasn't a big issue on the night but for the next few games we will need to run the ball.

It was nothing to do with Iupati missing it was down to 8 in the box all game long and daring Kaepernick to throw.

That's why the niners are still a serious threat to win it all this year. Davis & Boldin one on one will win most battles most days. If teams repeat what the skins did they will be burnt the same way.

I don't think you can be critical of the Niners run game form last night at all.

That's a fair point, I think Iupati missing did have an impact though as Gore has been facing 8 man fronts for a while now.

I agree that SF have a shot at a deep playoff run, only concern is we look like world beaters against the poorer teams but struggle against the better teams.

Since the Packers game the pass game has really struggled, which is why teams are selling out to stop the run. I expect more of the same against St. Louis and Seattle.

This will continue until Kaepernick shows he can consistently beat single coverage, which he hasn't always been able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

I believe the 49ers are going to be healthy and prepared to beat all of the teams in their remaining schedule, minus the Seahawks. The Seahawks game is going to be a tough one, but you never know, any given Sunday.

• Advertisement

I fancy the 49ers to take Seattle, they are currently down 2 CB's for that game already, while the 49ers should have Crabtree back.

That and the fact that I am attending the game should be enough to guarantee a victory.

I think all 3 division games will be tough, the Rams and Cardinals are both playing very well right now and the Cardinals have their playoff fate in their own hands.

Aldon Smith back on the fired is a big thing too. Come playoff time what you did previous matters for little.

The teams that win the superbowl regularly just hit form at the right time rather than being dominant from game 1

I'd rarely discount any side that makes the playoffs from having a shot at getting to and winning the big dance tbh.

Crabtree and Smith back will make an enormous difference. Still wouldn't fancy heading to Seattle for a playoff game though, 9ers were on the receiving end of a fairly large beat down with those two players in fine form last year. Mind you, Seattle have a few problems of their own at the moment.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Crabtree and Smith back will make an enormous difference. Still wouldn't fancy heading to Seattle for a playoff game though, 9ers were on the receiving end of a fairly large beat down with those two players in fine form last year. Mind you, Seattle have a few problems of their own at the moment.

I think all roads are going through New Orleans anyway tbh. Seattle may well find their corner back woes cost them dearly come playoff time.

I'd be happier seeing the 9ers go to the saints for a potential NFC game then to Seattle. This is all a bit premature though. I'm actually quite worried about this Rams game, their D has been playing very well lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

fierce quiet in here especially considering the game this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

D3PO wrote: »
    I think all roads are going through New Orleans anyway tbh. Seattle may well find their corner back woes cost them dearly come playoff time.
    Seattle always bottle it, trust me :)

I fancy SF to get the win on Sunday. Seattle doesn't really need to win that badly, and they are dealing with some injuries and suspensions. San Francisco needs the win to stay in control of the wildcard spot and maybe get the number 5 seed. Joe Staley is expected to play,Crab tree should be a factor while Seattle will be without Harvin,Browner,thurmond etc.

Second last game in candlestick as well, once Lynch doesn't destroy us I think we have a good shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Phew. Great 4Q game management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Adrian, was that your Ireland flag visible in the crowd?

Paully D wrote: »
    Adrian, was that your Ireland flag visible in the crowd?

No, I was rolling in all 49ers gear. Have to say the best atmosphere I've experienced at a sports event.

We have a shot at the number 5 seed now with Carolina losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Great D last night. WR'S done well considering how they were handled. Still think the Offence isnt making enough points to take us all the way.

madalig12 wrote: »
    Great D last night. WR'S done well considering how they were handled. Still think the Offence isnt making enough points to take us all the way.

I wouldn't be too hard on the offense after yesterday,got it done when it mattered, against the best team in the league.

Only complaint is Kap,not going through his reads and missing some opportunities for big plays.

As you say the defense was amazing, to hold the seahawks to 17 points.

When he drops back and right he seems to get the 2nd read more. Too often back left or flat left, half eye on a run gap and costing himself a second. Perhaps a convincing pump fake now and then will widen his horizon too.

Is Crabtree back too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Advertisement

What do ye think of Harbs looking to be the top paid coach in the NFL (allegedly). I think he has a long way to go before he deserves Belichick money.

A good playoff run will help his case though.

Good win against a bad team. Another good win against a bad team and we are in the playoffs.

Pole position for the number 5 seed now with Saints and Panthers playing each other next week.

In an ideal world where would you want to go for Wildcard weekend?

a. Detroit
    b. Chicago
    c. Green Bay
    d. Philadelphia
    e. Dallas.

I think those are the realistic options.

I say bring on the Cowboys if possible, that would be cool. Green Bay would be the worst case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Good win against a bad team. Another good win against a bad team and we are in the playoffs.

Pole position for the number 5 seed now with Saints and Panthers playing each other next week.

In an ideal world where would you want to go for Wildcard weekend?

a. Detroit
    b. Chicago
    c. Green Bay
    d. Philadelphia
    e. Dallas.

I think those are the realistic options.

I say bring on the Cowboys if possible, that would be cool. Green Bay would be the worst case.
    Dallas then chicago then Detroit/philly then GB.

Well here we go with the final ever (regular season) game at Candlestick park, this is one of the most historic stadiums in US sports. While it is really showing it's age it will be sad to think that no more games will be played there.

Apart from hosting a baseball game the night of the San Francisco earthquake in 1989, the great games and records set there are hard to believe.

The NFL did their best to have a classic showdown here by scheduling a rematch of the NFC championship game from last season but they could not foresee how bad Atlanta have been,

The 49ers are in the strange position of being able to end up as the number 1 seed, the number 2 seed, the number 5 seed, the number 6 seed or not make the playoffs at all.

After tonight things will clear up a bit, a win guarantees us playoff football.

Here is an excellent piece by Brian Murphy of KNBR on the demise of candlestick..

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--candlestick-park-is-a-pigsty-worthy-of-love--not-ridicule-071013281.html

And if you are bored here are the top 10 candlestick moments from 49ers.com:

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/The-Top-10-Moments-in-Candlestick-History/6199be67-eac7-49d8-bb22-d49821d239c9

Enjoy the game tonight and if results go our way, candlestick may get to host one more game before the wrecking ball comes in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Squeaky bum time there at the end after the game looked over early in the 4th quarter, Falcons were a down away from a tying field goal after recovering an onside kick... and still the drama continues, Niners can win the NFC West with a win against the Cardinals and a Seattle loss (Rams have an excellent pressure defense and could give Rusdsell Wilson all kinds of problems), and amazingly could also secure home field advantage through the playoffs if the Panthers lose as well.

We have not seen the best of the Niners yet this season which hopefully is a positive, but Kap's inconsistency is a real worry, some of his decisions and throws tonight were poor. We are too reliant on the long ball and that will be exposed in the playoffs unless we can vary the offense more.

• Advertisement

nagirrac wrote: »
    We have not seen the best of the Niners yet this season which hopefully is a positive, but Kap's inconsistency is a real worry, some of his decisions and throws tonight were poor. We are too reliant on the long ball and that will be exposed in the playoffs unless we can vary the offense more.

Had it recorded and avoided this forum until I eventually watches this afternoon. Lucky with the late turnover for the win but I agree we haven't seen the best of the niners. Still, playoffs woohoo :D

On Kaps passing. He was hitting Crabtree but not Davis :confused: Maybe he needs to alter the pass better and hit Davis & Boldin sooner <10y etc..

I thought his decision to rush more up the middle was down to copping the double corner blitz. He did well to escape them at times

What a great way to end the candlestick era, that last play was epic and crowd went suitably nuts when it happened, wouldn't have been right if we'd lost that game.

Credit to Atlanta, they really came to play and didn't perform like a team who have given up on the season.

As usual 49ers.com have some good stuff posted up.

This video of Patrick Willlis mic'd up is pretty cool:

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Micd-Up-Patrick-Willis-in-Candlestick-Finale/08f1c5e1-a04c-440b-bf8b-91d4f29df051

Also this nice time lapse of the final game:

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Time-lapse-Final-Game-At-Candlestick/2335bdd1-4fb9-4b01-969e-78547d86d174

Nice photo here of the fireworks afterwards:

BcOfDDXCEAEJsTV.jpg

And finally, 5 seconds left, game over, Jim Harbaugh still having a go at the officials

BcOX3M2CUAA9hWl.png

Onwards to week 17, Hoping for a niners victory to keep the winning streak going, praying for the Rams to do us a huge favour but not very confident on that.

A win is a win but much to be concerned about today. Play calling after the first quarter was brutal, shades of the final drive in the SB last year, although admittedly Cardinals defense was excellent after a shaky start. Off to Green Bay next weekend, tough stadium to play in but our offense has to have too much for GB.

The play calling wasn't great but the Cardinals shut down the run so not much that could be done, we stayed with the run as much as possible but they are the number one run defense for a reason.

I liked Pattons performance, think he will be a very good player in time and could be key in the playoffs.

Defense wasn't as good as recently and let Arizona pass over them quite a bit today.

Hard on Arizona to miss out after a very good season, 49ers go to Green Bay next weekend, it will be tough but it is certainly winnable.

Game day folks, I'm pretty confident, I can see a win one way or another. Need to get on top of their run game and get pressure on Rodgers, If we do that we can just let Kap and Gore do their thing.

Should be good anyway...

Hope it's half as good as this...

TO and Young combining for a playoff win, love the commentary ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPQoFwVkrk

This was our 4th win over Green bay in the Harbaugh era, but this win was more impressive than any other. Kap made 3 bad throws, 1 pick and 2 more picks dropped by the packers secondary but in terms of being clutch, Kap got it done, ran for it when it was on, made some big throws and essentially managed a 5 minute game winning play off win on the road in Green Bay, despite the weather.

I'd make us slight underdogs against Carolina, winnable but difficult, Panthers Defense is much better than Green Bay, Offense will need to improve, defense too, but the dream of a home championship game lives on...(Go Saints)

Phew, too close for comfort but got it done when it mattered most. Rodgers escaping the sack on that final Packets drive could have been a real momentum changer, but Niners offense was very disciplined and efficient on the last two drives. Crabtree came up big today and is getting close to 100% just when we need him. Roll on next weekend!

1 down 3 to go. The dropped int on the game winning drive shows the thin line between victory and defeat during the playoffs. Clay Matthews was sorely missed and it's a shame to see Rogers' season end. No doubt though, the better team won. Offfense needs to convert more. Our rb plays are easy spot. It's a relief to see Kap's game develop. The secondary we're excellent, no big plays given up. Pass rush was consistent (fantastic in q1) and no major injuries suffered.

Panthers play a similar style to the 9ers and it'll be the team that makes the fewest mistakes that'll win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Great win, showed great metal to come through that game. Bring on the panthers!
    In other news, our coaches seem to be wanted men. Redskins want to talk to fangio, Vikings want to talk with Roman. Hardly surprising but surely there'll be no movement til our season is finished one way or another. Would be 2 huge losses to the set up.

Greg Roman is attracting a lot of interest for teams in need of a Head Coach. He stayed behind in Green Bay in order to attend an interview.

They didn't mention the team but rumors are it was for the Vikings. The Lions are also looking for a head coach so it could have been them either.

Penn state are due to interview him this week also. Presumably this would happen in San Francisco.

Either way looks like decent odds that he will be coaching somewhere else next season.

On the injury front, it looks good for Rogers to play this week after missing the packers game.

Steve Smith has been injured for the panthers but he also looks likely to play.

I've very concerned about this game. The Panthers are exactly the type of team we struggle against. They have an elite defense (probably playing better than ours right now), good running game and huge upside mobile QB (who is further along in his development than Kap).

I think it will be really close and will come down to the 4th quarter. Not at all confident. If we win it will need to be a big game for Kap as I don't see us putting up much rushing yards. Kap will need to be decisive in his reads, make good throws and no interceptions.

We could win but we will need to be 100% better than the last time we played that's for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement