Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick & Aborting Down's Syndrome babies...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you agree that abortion isn't a problem then you've no business giving out to anybody for the reason they had an abortion, whether it's because it was at disk of having down syndrome, being female or having brown eyes.

if it's not a human life it's nnot a human life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I dont agree with abortion, but jesus her mother should have considered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

at this stage i think she might be doing it on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

if you agree that abortion isn't a problem then you've no business giving out to anybody for the reason they had an abortion, whether it's because it was at disk of having down syndrome, being female or having brown eyes.

if it's not a human life it's nnot a human life.

thats a fair point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Its as good a reason as any to terminate a pregnancy, and probably a better reason than most. No issue with it really.

• Advertisement

FatherLen wrote: »
    at this stage i think she might be doing it on purpose.

Of course she is. Everything she says is for shock value, and said to annoy people. Keeps people talking about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Of course she is. Everything she says is for shock value, and said to annoy people. Keeps people talking about her.

well she is ridiculously good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Being honest, I really don't care what Samantha Brick has to say after that "i'm so goodlooking" article she had. Attention seeker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm not sure what the shock value in that is tbh. If you found out early enough, I think it's a conversation you would seriously have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I think its a perfectly valid decision to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I assume that when people do the in utero test for Down's that this is one of the options they're considering in the event of bad news? So Samantha Brick is hardly alone here (not that I have a clue who she is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I think its a perfectly valid decision to make.

For who the baby or the parents?

(I'm just curious, i'm not arguing the abortion issue btw)

Diapason wrote: »
    I assume that when people do the in utero test for Down's that this is one of the options they're considering in the event of bad news? So Samantha Brick is hardly alone here (not that I have a clue who she is).

Downs syndrome can usually be picked up with an ultrasound. The parents would then have the option to go for an amnio if they so wish. Of course an amnio poses certain risks, but most parents would go ahead with it.

A lot do it for just the want of knowing, its rare that they would get an abortion. In my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

My brother has Down's Syndrome and I find this woman's comments absolutely disgusting and show her ignorance toward the problems individuals with this syndrome face on a regular basis.

She is trying to protray her intentions as honourable from the point of view that she would be requiring money from the government to help raise the child and that her family would have to help her out...give me a break.

The thought that a mother would abort her own child because of that is frightening....its not like we are talking about a severe physical\mental problem where the baby's quality of life would be zero - its down's syndrome for God sake - i know a young lad who has it, has done his leaving cert, went to college, wrote and published a book!! my brother enjoys everything i do, and yet just because it may take a little longer for the usual phases in life to be reached abortion is the answer?

I'm angry at her and sad for her at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

'my husband and I have discussed in depth and at length whether we could keep a baby diagnosed with Down's Syndrome'

i wonder what else her and her husband talk about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

I 100% agree with a couple's choice to end a pregnancy. Particularly unwanted pregnancies, or where parents are in no way capable of providing a child with a decent future.

However, to want a child badly enough to go through the ordeal of IVF to only go and abort a baby because it has DS I do not agree with. I know many people who live long/fulfilling lives with DS. It is not a black and white issue of course, but I think it is very selfish to abort a baby because it is not the "ideal" after longing for a baby for so long.

:)

It's an awful decision to have to make, so i wouldn't judge.....but seeing as it's Samantha Prick...i'd have to say **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you're going to have IVF treatment you should be prepared to accept whatever the outcome is. Otherwise you should either not have children or adopt a child.

Having said that though it sounds like adoption isn't for her. The fact that she would abort a child that isn't 'perfect' proves she just wants a 'designer baby' that fits into her view of how she would like her child to look.

I have no idea who Samantha Brick is by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its one of worst conversations a couple can have,horrendous stuff:(

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Seriously? Does nobody see anything wrong with that? Aborting a baby just because they may not be "perfect"?

I come from a family where out of 5 siblings 3 are disabled, two so severely that they need full time care but that doesn't mean we value their lives any less than our own.

Aborting a baby because they may have Down Syndrome is, in my opinion, the measure of how cowardly some people are. Yes the family would be presented with more challenges than if they had a child without the syndrome but it doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance at life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

A lot do it for just the want of knowing, its rare that they would get an abortion. In my experience anyway

Thanks for that, I genuinely wondered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

This is a reall reall y touchy subject as almost everyone know's a person with a DS child , brother, uncle etc.

I have spoke with this before with my GF and MY opinion (you don't have to like it, that's why it's my opinion) is that i would strongly consider the abortion option in the case of a DS baby as looking after a child my whole life into my old age with so much difficulty is just not what i have planned. Sorry if it sounds selfish but i would not want a DS child.

This is a reall reall y touchy subject as almost everyone know's a person with a DS child , brother, uncle etc.

I have spoke with this before with my GF and MY opinion (you don't have to like it, that's why it's my opinion) is that i would strongly consider the abortion option in the case of a DS baby as looking after a child my whole life into my old age with so much difficulty is just not what i have planned. Sorry if it sounds selfish but i would not want a DS child.

I didnt think Id 'want' a child with cerebral palsy, but i have one now and i wouldnt change him for the world.

I dread to think what i would have done if i was given a choice. Im against abortion, always have been, but you dont know you'd cope knowing you have the option there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Genuine question for the people who have (fairly bravely and amazingly) said that they would abort a Down's Syndrome baby:

Have you ever known or cared for or loved a person with Down's Syndrome? A more loving, kind, full-of-life person you could not wish to meet. They have an attitude and take on life that I really don't think non-Down's individuals can have. At one time I think I would have seen a Down's baby as being a burden, a life sentence and someone that I would tie me down until my later years. But with my hand on my heart I have never experienced anything but joy with a child or adult with Down's. They have all been wonderful.

The only 'burden' in having a child with Down's is the stigma attached to them.

In related news a Down Syndrome baby has just become a model for a Spanish swimwear company. She's only flipping gorgeous :)

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/style/fashion/8504787/down-syndrome-baby-becomes-swimwear-model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

davet82 wrote: »
    For who the baby or the parents?

(I'm just curious, i'm not arguing the abortion issue btw)

Personally I wouldnt want to have a kid that will likely have a bad experience in life. And I agree wholeheartedly with a woman's right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

xeiramnnax wrote: »
    I 100% agree with a couple's choice to end a pregnancy. Particularly unwanted pregnancies, or where parents are in no way capable of providing a child with a decent future.

However, to want a child badly enough to go through the ordeal of IVF to only go and abort a baby because it has DS I do not agree with. I know many people who live long/fulfilling lives with DS. It is not a black and white issue of course, but I think it is very selfish to abort a baby because it is not the "ideal" after longing for a baby for so long.

:)

You either agree with abortion or you don't, regardless of circumstances of conception.
    People choose to abort the unborn for reasons such as cleft palets, downs, spina bifida, disfigurements etc.

By your logic you believe women who concived naturally have the right to abort but the women who went through IVF does not have the right to abort if it is found the unborn has downs.
    That doesnt really make sense. You are attributing more rights to the women who was able to conceive naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

i would strongly consider the abortion option in the case of a DS baby as looking after a child my whole life into my old age with so much difficulty is just not what i have planned.

Just a thought when you said minding your child into old age : Anything can happen in life, you could have a perfectly healthy child reared and living independently. What happens if that person ends up in an road accident requiring physical care for the rest of his/her life.

Not everything goes to plan in life. No reason to end a life because it needs more care than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Aborting a baby because they may have Down Syndrome is, in my opinion, the measure of how cowardly some people are.

Just because you have disabled siblings doesn't give you the moral high ground.

If someone chooses not to see through a pregnancy - for whatever reason - that really is their choice & their choice alone.

While you may see that as the "easy way out", this route might well be entirely better for all concerned than one of attempting to raise a child that you feel you cannot do to the standard that a child deserves.

Abortion in any situation is always going to be a sensitive issue, but it pisses me off when I see the likes of you & others getting all high, mighty and judgemental about it.

Every case is different & every person has their own story to tell and lives to live - blanket statements such as yours are meaningless & utterly pointless.

I didnt think Id 'want' a child with cerebral palsy, but i have one now and i wouldnt change him for the world.

I dread to think what i would have done if i was given a choice. Im against abortion, always have been, but you dont know you'd cope knowing you have the option there.

I don't think i would ever want to end a pregnancy just because the child would be disabled, having said that i can't feel justified in pushing my feelings on others.

• Advertisement

RVP 11 wrote: »
    I don't think i would ever want to end a pregnancy just becuase the child would be disabled, having said that i can't feel justified in pushing my feelings on others.

Like i said Im against abortion, but if the option was freely available I may have considered it.

Advertisement