Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeon

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Today I found very nice looking pigeon in my garden.
    I went up to have a look an noticed it had rings with random letters on it on both feet.

So, I'm presuming it's a racing pigeon or something along those lines.

I'm wondering if anyone know's any pigeon clubs in the North- Clare, South- Galway area that it could belong to?

And in the meantime, what shall I do with it? i.e, feed it, shelter, water etc?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Snegg wrote: »
    Hi,

I went up to have a look an noticed it had rings with random letters on it on both feet.

I'm wondering if anyone know's any pigeon clubs in the North- Clare, South- Galway area that it could belong to?

Many thanks!

This happened to me before.

I googled the number on the ring and got in touch with the owner.

He said it was missing for over a month and that if it returned at that stage he would have to cull it as it could lead the rest of flock astray.

I fed him for several months until he disappeared. I will always cherish my time with my feathered amigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

This happened to me before.

I googled the number on the ring and got in touch with the owner.

He said it was missing for over a month and that if it returned at that stage he would have to cull it as it could lead the rest of flock astray.

I fed him for several months until he disappeared. I will always cherish my time with my feathered amigo.
    This is exactly what happens. My exes father keeps racing pigeons and is part of a club. Club members put their best pigeons up for racing which are released from different parts of the country. The best pigeons make it back home and are "clocked" in when they arrive back. The fastest pigeon back means glory for the owner, but unfortunately a lot of pigeons get lost along the way and end up cat food or some other animal will have them. If my exes father thought there was a pigeon in the midst that wasn't race worthy, he twisted their necks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Snegg wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks!

You should release it so that it can fly home, that's what they're bred for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Infracted.

Advertisement